Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Renting costs are about to rocket

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    like I said, if you don't understand what money is, you can't have any sort of economic ideas. As you obviously don't know what money is all your ideas are obviously wrong. this is because having got money wrong, you get capital wrong, having got capital wrong, you get everything else wrong.

Nope, I'm not the one that's got it wrong.
    klintock wrote:
    It's not fiat currency that I have sole issue with in your economic analysis, it's that you show no knowledge of what money is in either a free market or a state run hodgepodge.

You're wrong. Again.
    klintock wrote:
    We've done this before. Things do not have any intrinsic value, there is no objective measure of value possible. They only have a value upon trade. And they only have a value in another substance.

You're wrong. Again. Things have a use value and an exchange value. They only have an exchange value when they are traded.
    klintock wrote:
    This is because value is a function of the process of trade.

Yes. But you (as usual) leave out the most important part - the fact that things have to be produced before they are traded.
    klintock wrote:
    Like I said, a complete and utter lack of understanding of basic principles of economics. Not surprising because few left wingers do.

Oh the irony. Its you that has misunderstood, because you can't get your head around basic facts.
    klintock wrote:
    Looks to me like you are refering to a collectivist system again. Or any of the current state capitalist systems in place in the western world. These have nothing to do with a free market. As you well know.

You can't even tell me what you mean by "free market".
    klintock wrote:
    Why? My or your definition of a free market is just as valid as anyone elses. Anfd you are discussing matters with me. Why not think like the anarchist you claim to be and stop running to authority all the time?

Oh dear klintock, more basic mistakes. Your conflating two issues again. Technical authority and political authority. You really should get over your fear of education y'know.
  • Options
    Ok, what is money?

Let's start right back where I start laughing at you. Just going "your wrong, your wrong" is straight nowhere.

So, come on, what is money?
  • Options
    It all follows quite nicely from the basic fact that labour is commodified.
  • Options
    It all follows quite nicely from the basic fact that labour is commodified.

Yes, how terrible that something that is always the case has remained the case. It's funny how we don't usually focus on the colour of the sky in economic debates either. :rolleyes:

Anyway, fuck that, lets have some idea of what you think money is......
  • Options
    Money is a measure of exchange value.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, how terrible that something that is always the case has remained the case. It's funny how we don't usually focus on the colour of the sky in economic debates either. :rolleyes:

This is where a knowledge of history comes in. Y'know, from those books that you so despise. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Money is a measure of exchange value.

:lol::lol:

See how far off the mark you are?

How is that measure of exchange value decided upon?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :lol::lol:

See how far off the mark you are?

You don't actually have a clue do you?
  • Options
    You don't actually have a clue do you?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that'll work.

Come on mate, you don't need that much more of a clue do you?
  • Options
    Come on brainiac, tell me what money is then.

(this should be good :D )
  • Options
    btw, to even ask "how is it decided upon" is absurd
  • Options
    Come on brainiac, tell me what money is then.

Lol ok.
    btw, to even ask "how is it decided upon" is absurd

Nah, not really, it's kinda the key to freedom.

There are two main ways to decide what money is.

One way is for people to voluntarily decide upon a substance between themselves.

The other is for someone with a gun to decide it for you.

Money is anything you can trade for goods or services.

It's normally thought of as the the substance that is most often traded within an economy. Gold is the perfect money as decided upon by all civilisations at all times throughout history for example.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol ok.

One way is for people to voluntarily decide upon a substance between themselves.

It's normally thought of as the the substance that is most often traded within an economy. Gold is the perfect money as decided upon by all civilisations at all times throughout history for example.

If i remember righty, wasn't gold was a good currency because it had an intrinsic scarcity?

Then things got a little messed up when gold started to be represented through the paper money system?
  • Options
    On the subject altruism vs selfishness, klintock is right, it's a redundant concept, because people only act altruistically if it's in their own interest. Someone who goes out their way to help others do so to maintain a clear conscience or because it makes them feel good...in other words, it's purely selfish.
  • Options
    If i remember righty, wasn't gold was a good currency because it had an intrinsic scarcity?

Yup. It's distinctive, it's attractive, it doesn't decay and theres not much of it. It's also bloody heavy, which is another important consideration in days before motorised transport.
    Then things got a little messed up when gold started to be represented through the paper money system?

Too right. The banks started to pretend they had money they didn't actually have, resulting in the bankruptcy of 29 amongst others. It's why we have the comedy mickey mouse currency we currently use. If you want a laugh, ask your credit card company for proof of their loss.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yup. It's distinctive, it's attractive, it doesn't decay and theres not much of it. It's also bloody heavy, which is another important consideration in days before motorised transport.

Too right. The banks started to pretend they had money they didn't actually have, resulting in the bankruptcy of 29 amongst others. It's why we have the comedy mickey mouse currency we currently use. If you want a laugh, ask your credit card company for proof of their loss.

I remember reading "A Second Look at the Federal Reserve". Quite a fascinating read really. Odd to think that we are operating with a monetary system which exists purely because people believe it does!
  • Options
    I remember reading "A Second Look at the Federal Reserve". Quite a fascinating read really. Odd to think that we are operating with a monetary system which exists purely because people believe it does!

Which of course proves my point that anything can be money if you can trade with it. You can even trade belief, and all you have to worry about is keeping the belief alive.

Common sense says that there isn't a trillion pound coins knocking about, even a trillion in fivers would have us all wading to the shops. Of course, people don't think properly about the things that benefit them in some way unless they have a good reason.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol ok.

You're stating how you'd like the world to be, not how it actually is.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    On the subject altruism vs selfishness, klintock is right, it's a redundant concept, because people only act altruistically if it's in their own interest. Someone who goes out their way to help others do so to maintain a clear conscience or because it makes them feel good...in other words, it's purely selfish.

That's a very simplistic view of human nature.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Hmm...maybe you and klint have more in common than at first glance. :D
  • Options

:confused:

Instead of a dismissal, let's have something a bit more specific, like what specificially is inaccurate about my statements?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Hmm...maybe you and klint have more in common than at first glance. :D

Errr....no. I'm describing how capitalism works as it is now. People sell their labour to survive, surplus value is expropriated as profit. Money is symbol, a way in which we can draw equivalences between commodities (but which can also be traded as a commodity itself). Because people are paid for their labour (which produces use value), money is ultimately an expression of what labour is worth on the market.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :confused:

Instead of a dismissal, let's have something a bit more specific, like what specificially is inaccurate about my statements?

You haven't stated anything apart from what we already knew - money is a medium of exchange. Well, I'd already stated that, Mr Brainiac.
  • Options
    You haven't stated anything apart from what we already knew - money is a medium of exchange. Well, I'd already stated that, Mr Brainiac.

So first it's rubbish and then it's something you'd already said?

Do fuck off.
    Errr....no. I'm describing how capitalism works as it is now.

No, you are describing how capitalism is thought of by you right now. You are focusing on one area - that is state run capitalism.
    People sell their labour to survive, surplus value is expropriated as profit

What surplus value? There isn't any. If there is no mutual benefit, trade simply doesn't occur. Now you can say that the state creates a climate of fear which puts pressure on people to accept a lower benefit than they normally would and I can agree with that, but the simple fact is that there isn't any surplus value.

Everybody makes a profit, don't forget.
    Money is symbol, a way in which we can draw equivalences between commodities (but which can also be traded as a commodity itself

See, utter ignorance of economics. What is normally thought of as money isn't a symbol, it's the most commonly traded item in an economy. The market always chooses gold (sometimes silver) and the state forces most people to use it's paper.

That paper only gains any value because it can be used to keep the state from attacking you, that is you can give it the violent men and women in the tax office and they will leave you alone for a bit.
    Because people are paid for their labour (which produces use value), money is ultimately an expression of what labour is worth on the market.

Great, except that labour is in itself a form of money.

You can pick any good or service in the market and measure all other goods and services as units of that good or service. You have chosen labour as your ultimate good, not because of any rational basis but because of some emotional investment in the idea of "the workers".

You could have picked pickles, or car repair, lead or dentistry.

My car is worth 43 trips to the dentist or a ton of pickles or half the lead off my roof or having my car itself fixed half a dozen times. See, you can measure anything in terms of anything else, none of them are better than others, some might be more useful.

Your also using state imposed "capital" for your analysis, which leaves out the vast majority of non state money transactions.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What is normally thought of as money isn't a symbol, it's the most commonly traded item in an economy. The market always chooses gold (sometimes silver) and the state forces most people to use it's paper.

That paper only gains any value because it can be used to keep the state from attacking you, that is you can give it the violent men and women in the tax office and they will leave you alone for a bit.

don't yell at me but... how does this arguement not make money (the paper stuff with Bank of England written on it for clarity's sake) a symbol? It seems to me that the above arguement explains how money IS a symbol.
  • Options
    Oh it is a symbol, but it's not money just because it's a symbol.

Otherwise I could just invent symbols all day and get rich. I did explain it kinda badly tbh.
  • Options
    ok, so it's a symbol. If we all use the same code to interpret the sign of the symbol to come to the same opinion/conclusion of its signification (bloody Graphic Design filling my head withpoo), does it not then have the value we ascribe to it?
  • Options
    and if the code that we all use is... like blaggy described- value of work, profit to be exchanged blah... money is exactly what we've all (except you) decided it is?
  • Options
    so, it doesn't actually matter if it's a myth (of the signified) or not, or whether in fact we know how or why it is even a mythology- if we accept the myth then it becomes real. maybe.
  • Options
    ok, so it's a symbol. If we all use the same code to interpret the sign of the symbol to come to the same opinion/conclusion of its signification (bloody Graphic Design filling my head withpoo), does it not then have the value we ascribe to it?

Sure, but it's ability to be money isn't down to it's being a symbol, it's down to the fact that you can trade it. Money is anything you can trade for goods and services.

Also, we can't hold the same opinion or conclusion about anything, let alone a symbol. A hundred pounds to you and a hundred pounds to Richard Branson are very different things, although objectively you might say it's the same.