Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Whining old people

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4788912.stm
An 82-year-old Women's Institute stalwart has been asked to remove her hat in a pub - because staff claimed it was a security risk.

Retired teacher Betty Wilbraham was told by staff at The Hereward in Ely, Cambs, that its CCTV camera would not be able to see her face clearly enough.

Mrs Wilbraham said it was "ridiculous" to be asked to remove her hat.

The pub said it was its policy to always ask people to remove their hats so any trouble was recorded on CCTV.

erm fair enough i could see some one getting annoyed at getting asked to do this, but i cant see why shes kicking up so much fuss about it, ater all isnt it normally old people that preach "treat others like you would treat yourself", which is exactly what the pub is doing with old and young alike, and its not just like its a once off incident, i know of many places that ask the same of customers

plus, why does she wear a hat indoors?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Any pub stuffed with CCTV cameras that requires people to remove hats so ‘any trouble’ can be clearly recorded is obviously a bit of a shit hole and should be avoided if at all possible.

It’s a stupid policy but if she doesn’t like it she should find another pub. (And the same goes for interfering busybodies that support totalitarian smoking bans).
    1, smoking is a freedom not a right

2, many places that hardly ever get any bother, if any at all will still ask customers to remove hats
    Mrs Wilbraham said it was "ridiculous" to be asked to remove her hat.

Hardly. And it's not like she's the only person who would have gotten asked to remove her hat... :rolleyes:
    As I understand it the rule is there to stop people from wearing a hood/hat to make identification easier in case of a robbery.

Does anyone seriously think this old duffer was going to stick the place up?
    MrG wrote:
    1, smoking is a freedom not a right

Care to expand?

Going off the point of the thread but surely it’s a ‘right’ of members of a private club to smoke if they want to in their club? Or at the very least hold a vote on it. And surely if I own a pub it’s my right to decide whether people can smoke in my pub?

If a pub or restaurant allows smoking smokers have every right to light up. Those that have a problem with the whiff of a little cigarette smoke meanwhile have the freedom to choose an establishment that caters for their needs.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Meh.

Equality for old and young, so stfu already. They'll moan at anything. Got moaned at by one old person... when I opened the door for her!

Sigh.
    klintock wrote:
    As I understand it the rule is there to stop people from wearing a hood/hat to make identification easier in case of a robbery.

No, but you can't have one rule for the old people and another rule for the younger people...
    You can bet she wouldn't be complaining if there was a youth in there asked to remove their cap or hood, why should the rules be applied any differently to her?
    No, but you can't have one rule for the old people and another rule for the younger people...

Because?
    You can bet she wouldn't be complaining if there was a youth in there asked to remove their cap or hood, why should the rules be applied any differently to her?

I think you'll find your wrong. She'd be pissed off at any age. Who wouldn't?

The rule is there for a purpose. Purpose fulfilled, no need for rule.
    i can't believe how many fucking rules we now have to abide by ...leave the poor old sod alone for fucks sake!
    ive never seen a bunch of yobs dressed in granny outfits causing trouble in a pub!,so dont really see the pubs point tbh...let her keep it on ffs!
    klintock wrote:

Yep, just because she's 82 doesn't mean she won't.

There was an 80-year-old who robbed a post office at gunpoint only a few weeks back.

If the landlord asks her to take her hat off, she should. If the whingeing old bat doesn't like it, she can always go somewhere else.

Typical old bat thinking the world owes them a living.
    Kermit wrote:
    Typical old bat thinking the world owes them a living.
    and seeing when she was your age and youn=ger when she had to face muck and bullets and food shortages ...i'd say she was right.
    Care to expand?

Going off the point of the thread but surely it’s a ‘right’ of members of a private club to smoke if they want to in their club? Or at the very least hold a vote on it. And surely if I own a pub it’s my right to decide whether people can smoke in my pub?

If a pub or restaurant allows smoking smokers have every right to light up. Those that have a problem with the whiff of a little cigarette smoke meanwhile have the freedom to choose an establishment that caters for their needs.

sure if you own a pub its yoru right to serve any one at any age, any product you wish, and at any time you wish, even if your licence says you cant

so if you are going to disagree with things like smoking bans, why not go the whole flog and abandon all legislation relating to "your pub"
    MrG wrote:
    so if you are going to disagree with things like smoking bans, why not go the whole flog and abandon all legislation relating to "your pub"
    fuck the legislation ...who the fuck do these people think they are?
    you'll only be able to breath in certain areas ...with permission ...before long.
    fuck the legislation ...who the fuck do these people think they are?
    you'll only be able to breath in certain areas ...with permission ...before long.

thats always been the case for serious asthmatics since the dawn of smoking
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sigh... the thing is, the hat legislation is bad anyway.

Just all put microchips in us that track us all the time. Easy. Then you can't break the law, ever, without it being known. Sorted.
    MrG wrote:
    thats always been the case for serious asthmatics since the dawn of smoking
    well isnt that tough.
    it's been pretty tough for people in war ...in drought ...in working for a living ...in getting out of bed on a morning!
    all the people who keep agreeing with all this legislating are feeding a monster that will seriously fucking wound us all before long.
    wake up and stop this stuff.
    Nothing to do with legislation and the "nanny state", and everything to do with the decision of the landlord I'm afraid.

For those who demand the right for landlords to choose smoking, they also demand the right for landlords to tell whining old biddies to take their hats off without whingeing to the papers.
    Kermit wrote:
    Nothing to do with legislation and the "nanny state", and everything to do with the decision of the landlord I'm afraid.

For those who demand the right for landlords to choose smoking, they also demand the right for landlords to tell whining old biddies to take their hats off without whingeing to the papers.

Are you schizo?
    I think its cause when they were young you didn't need to worry about petty little things like that...they probably just don't like what todays society is coming to...neither do i tbh.
    well isnt that tough.
    it's been pretty tough for people in war ...in drought ...in working for a living ...in getting out of bed on a morning!
    all the people who keep agreeing with all this legislating are feeding a monster that will seriously fucking wound us all before long.

yes but one persons conscious choice that effects the lives of people around them regardless of them liking it or not
    well isnt that tough.
    got to agree with that......every day another stupid rule to follow,thats why i stay indoors...keep the bastards out.
    I was under the impression that hats aren't indoor attire anyway.
    She should have some manners. It's never too late to learn.
    I was under the impression that hats aren't indoor attire anyway.
    She should have some manners. It's never too late to learn.

:confused:
    MrG wrote:
    yes but one persons conscious choice that effects the lives of people around them regardless of them liking it or not
    i don't like fun fairs ...so i stay away from them.
    i don't want funfairs to be banned.

if you don't like being in the company of smokers ...then don't associate with them.
    smokers over here ...none smokers over there ...soimple realy.

a thread about moaning old biddies filled with moaning fucking young biddies!
    :confused:

What is confusing?
    they'll ban farting in pubs next....sorry androids only.
    What is confusing?

I wasn't sure whether to take your post at face value or not.
    Are you schizo?

Should I be?

You can't whinge about publicans losing the right to choose about smoking when you are condemning the publicans for exercising the right to choose what attire can be worn in their pubs.

She should ahve taken her hat off instead of bleating to the papers. How pathetic. And no doubt the publican will have to issue a grovelling apology to be self-righteous old bat.