Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Noise Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could anyone fill me in on the laws regarding noise in residential areas. I'm in Edinburgh at the moment so it would be scottish law if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Should be quiet between 11pm and 7am I think. Something like that anyway.
    How is quiet defined? Like obviously I can still play music if I want.

Do the times change over the weekend?
    Addict wrote:
    How is quiet defined? Like obviously I can still play music if I want.

Do the times change over the weekend?

I wouldn't be sure that you can "obviously still play music" because it depends on how loud your music is.

As far as I can tell from my googling, Edinburgh uses the "The Antisocial Behaviour (Noise Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005"

The quietest bit is between 11pm and 7am where

11 pm on any day to 7 am in the following day-

31 decibels, where the underlying level of noise does not exceed 21 decibels; or where the underlying level of noise exceeds 21 decibels, 10 decibels in excess of that underlying level of noise.

---

For info around 30 decibles would be considered to be like a theatre during a play, or a library. IE pretty much silent.

So consistently making a racket could make you liable for a fine. (I believe it said that a warning notice was issued first)

There is no mention of times changing over the weekend. You'll notice though that it says "10 decibels in excess of that underlying level of noise. " so, if you live somewhere that's already really noisey you wouldn't be expected to be quiet.

Also in Edinburgh you have the houses of multiple occupancy stuff if you live somewhere with more than 3 people in it, so if you make noise and a neighbour complained the landlord could lose his licence, which I guess he would be pissed about.
    The times don't change over the weekend AFAIK, and if they do, it is to increase the early morning time not to extend the evening time.

You can play music so long as you are sensible. It's all about being sensible and being considerate. Have a rave in your lounge and expect the neighbours to get pissy.