Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

american troops have invaded iran!

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes because i expect braintree to be invaded anytime soon
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:

I wish Braintree was nuked soon, on a day I wasn't there.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I wish Braintree was nuked soon, on a day I wasn't there.

id rather it got nuked while i was there, cause i wouldnt want to fall ill and die a slow and painful death from the fallout when i visited to laugh at the victims
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:
    id rather it got nuked while i was there, cause i wouldnt want to fall ill and die a slow and painful death from the fallout when i visited to laugh at the victims
    Well, I suppose there is that.
    MrG wrote:

No, the truth is far more horrible. Empires rule through alliance and local leadership. Now, get a copy of Livy's The War aganst Hannibal. Comfortable? You might want to get a drink, its a large book. Its OK, I can wait. Back already? Right. Now, observe the strategy of Hannibal. You see what he's doing, yes? How he managed to lay Italy to the sword, defeat Consular Army after Consular Army. Alright, now skip forward 30 years, to what is happening in Hispania, the war booty and Triumphs, why they never pacified the region fully. Now, can you see what I mean?
    Hannibal was a Carthaginian General whose greatest flaw was lack of discipline, while he let a quarte rof his men die crossing the alps into Italia to take on Rome at home, the Romans sent fleets of ships and thousands of troops to lay waste to Carthage, showing their superiority and crushing their greatest enemy for good. Hannibal failed to understand discipline and taking on a defesive posture when needed.

Rome was an ideal, it showed people why it was better, showed them how to build roads, bridges, towns, irrigation systems as much as it showed it could conquer if it wanted to. Many chose to join the Empire because it was a better life. The Romans only conquered those who didnt think they were Superior to them, then enslaved them to make their own lives easier and propogate the belief in their own superiority until they reached a point of arrogance so great it all collapsed around them.

Not all Empires are like that or do things ways, Rome was especially talented at Empire building.
    If you get 68 posts (at the time of writing) before a conflict even starts, imagine how many you'll get when it does happen!
    To get an idea, just do a search for the word 'Iraq' ;)
    Aladdin wrote:
    To get an idea, just do a search for the word 'Iraq' ;)
    Don't mention the war! :p
    subject13 wrote:
    Hannibal was a Carthaginian General whose greatest flaw was lack of discipline, while he let a quarte rof his men die crossing the alps into Italia to take on Rome at home, the Romans sent fleets of ships and thousands of troops to lay waste to Carthage, showing their superiority and crushing their greatest enemy for good. Hannibal failed to understand discipline and taking on a defesive posture when needed.

Rome was an ideal, it showed people why it was better, showed them how to build roads, bridges, towns, irrigation systems as much as it showed it could conquer if it wanted to. Many chose to join the Empire because it was a better life. The Romans only conquered those who didnt think they were Superior to them, then enslaved them to make their own lives easier and propogate the belief in their own superiority until they reached a point of arrogance so great it all collapsed around them.

Not all Empires are like that or do things ways, Rome was especially talented at Empire building.

Actually, most empires have a basic similar military and legislative relationship, with a corporate system profiting and priming the pumps for future expansions. The structure was similar from Rome, the Swedes, the Japanese and the British. Thats why political philosophy and International Relations scholars can identify them as empires.

Secondly, Hannibal only lost because he failed to meet with his younger brother. Had the two armies joined, they would have sacked the Eternal City. You are probably thinking there was ill discipline because he hired mercaneries, however, Hannibal actually destroyed 8 Consular armies, thats killed or captured quarter of a million men. He left Rome without an army in the field, because he took out his allies first. Which was my original point. Seperate the local allies, and the imperial strcuture comes crashing down. Britain understood that, thats why they made sure they put a minority ethnic/religion in charge of their many conquests, so they would be dependent and not turn on their masters.

Thirdly, there are more than just a few parallels between Rome and modern day America. Both are having the same problem, criminals in high power pushing the constitution to limits it was never designed to withstand. Eventually, the Romans got so angry they welcome the First Triumvirate of Caesar, Pompey and Crassius, despite its illegal abuse of power, because it worked. Rome, like America, is a highly militarized culture. Rome, like America, was the central plank of international trade and stable currency. Should things get that bad in America (lets face it, Bush is Sulla more than Augustus or Caesar), it will not be allowed to fall. The Republic will wither and die on populist whims and conspiracies, but an Empire will rise, because its the obvious solution. It brings stability, it keeps the economy going and it usually satisfies the military (assuming they are not complicit in it).
    I do not deny the parrallells with Rome and America, i agree with them.
    However, in terms of the Empire expanding, its conquered subjects often welcomed the conquest, embraced Rome and often petitioned to join the empire an be part of it, benefiting from its many advantages.
    This is not the case of America.

Hannibals troops were disciplined and followed him, i said he was not. He was a brilliant General, but like many brilliant Generals he underestimated his enemy. He thought himself superior and victory would come to him. This resulted in Rome losing many battles and armies to him, but enevitably out manouvering him, conquering his Empire, that of Carthage and eventually crushing what little armies he had left. Rome was the superior of all in the world, no matter how old, wise or powerful their enemy, they were victorious, until they became complacemement and refused to expand, refused to conquer and refused to evolve their empire. Thus, stagnation, old blood, decodance and defeat came to pass.
    Well it looks that the lies told about Iraq managed to convince enough idiots that war was necessary, so our old friend Donald Rumsfeld is now using the same tactics as he start to 'groom' us all about a war on Iran.

Donald 'Ultimate Cunt' Rumsfeld: Iranian troops ''causing the harm in Iraq''

You really have to laugh... :rolleyes:
    Do pray tell provide some details of which nations ever welcomed Rome domination, subject. Forced to accept or be slughtered or resigned to defeat perhaps, but "welcomed" subjugation, this is a history I am not familiar with I must say.
    It was not subjication they welcomed, the Gauls for instance fought the Romans in legendary conflicts until they were crushed. As did the rival Empire of Carthage who fought to maintain their dominance of the meditaranian. The Celts of Britain also fought off the Romans.

But what of all the small communities that were preyed upon by the Gauls? What of those who suffered at the hands of the Carthaginians? What of the Eqyptians? Well, it was more fear of one enemy that pushed them to favour Rome as an ally and request to join. Egypt feared conquest so payed tribute to Rome, only then to be conquered anyway as Octavian crushed the last elements of discent to his rise to Emperor. The same goes for many who were victims of the dominant forces proior to Romes arrival.

It was more a case, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Or is it a case of Better the Devil you do NOT know? I am unsure, but never less not all were opposed to the Roman "Ideal" or "way of life" that was available. Rome didnt have enough troops to surpress an entire Empire of that size, it was more a case of appearing, showing they had it right and everyone else had it wrong, then leaving after passing on their knowledge and not coming back again so long as taxes were paid. Actually it was a Brilliant way of holding an Empire, winning the hearts and minds of those around, if they couldnt, killing them by crucifixion.

I admit, not realy a viable option for America...you just don't get that many Crucifixions nowadays do you.
    The difference of the condition we face today is that the consistent maintenance of empire is more the domain of Multi-National Corporations and the global financial sector which underpin both the commercial arena as well as the policies of nation states.

When I, for my part, address the criminality of US militant foreign policy it is in view of the hegemonic corporate aims for which our targets are chosen and subjugated, mostly (until most recently) under the veneer of "international" legitimisation (i.e. UN approval), however fraudulent I also find such "legitimising" charades to be.

It is, in my view, the ultimate death knell of any world power that it seeks to impose its interests by force upon others, however well intentioned the arguments therefor might be. Overextension, hubris and ultimately self-preservatory repression and authoritarianism are the characteristic consequences of allowing the imperially-minded to pursue their expansionist aspirations. This is the lesson which history should have taught us long ago, but as we see has not.

Crucifixion? Good! Out the door, line on the left, one cross each....NEXT!
    You are like Tetley's Clandestine...you don't do things by halves!

Ah, if only we had all watched Ropocop and seen what OCP were like back in the 80's, then we might never have reached this point where Haliburton, et al dominate the Western worlds foreign policy.
    subject13 wrote:
    Ah, if only we had all watched Ropocop and seen what OCP were like back in the 80's, then we might never have reached this point where Haliburton, et al dominate the Western worlds foreign policy.
    If Hollywood movies are any prediction, maybe we should discuss The Matrix?
    :chin:
    Boooo!
    There will be none of this, we are not real, we are in a machine nonesense here!
    ah.. the world is not real...a classic theory.

Anyone see the new film Stay?? That has a world is unreal theme.