Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is this too good to be true?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A free phone, with £0 monthly charge, with either 200 x-net anytime minutes or 1000 off peak minutes thrown in free each month.

The catch is (it seems) that you have to send them your statement every 4 months and they will refund the £80, rather than just paying £0 per month. Sounds too good to be true though :/

http://www.e2save.com/mobile/phones/category.php?category=clearance&PHPSESSID=dd7e145d9c4c7a06cdedb6bc560c5942

So some money savvy person, let me know the real catch? Therse nothing for nothing... afterall.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In a word...yes

I've seen a company offering this before appearing on a program like watchdog. Hundreds of customers dutifully sending in thier statements for a refund....and hearing nothing. The general rule of thmb is that if it sounds too good to be tru, then it generally is. Where on earth would this company make ther money? :chin:
    text messages cost a bomb?
    If it looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Unless you personally know the company is legit, then I doubt it's worth it.

Question is, is that tariff worth £20 a month? Very probably.
    A free phone, with £0 monthly charge, with either 200 x-net anytime minutes or 1000 off peak minutes thrown in free each month.

The catch is (it seems) that you have to send them your statement every 4 months and they will refund the £80, rather than just paying £0 per month. Sounds too good to be true though :/

http://www.e2save.com/mobile/phones/category.php?category=clearance&PHPSESSID=dd7e145d9c4c7a06cdedb6bc560c5942

So some money savvy person, let me know the real catch? Therse nothing for nothing... afterall.

actually not too good to be true (for a change). Networks like Orange pay a large commission to places like e2save to gain contract customers. This more than covers the line rental you will get back if you send your statements in on time. These cashback deals are very popular now - plus e2save are owned by carphone warehouse and is a pretty robust business. I have completed 2 of these deals so far, and have just signed up for a third. As long a you send the relevant statements on time and by recorded delivery to cover yourself then there will be no problems.
    E2Save are owned by Carphone Warehouse, but trying to get through to E2Save is shite because Carphone Warehouse have diddly squat to do with your cashback. I'm forever speaking to customers who have been fucked over by them and I speak to around 80 people a day.

It's grand if you can be arsed sending off your bills - not copies actual bills - every so often within the scheduled time and not change your price plan or default on any payments then it's an okay deal but I always tell people to go through Dialaphone or a high street retailer as you will get through to someone if it goes tits up. :)

ETA - All those phones in those adverts are "Clearance" handsets which means they are refurbished handsets. These are handsets customers have tried in the 14 day cooling off period and decided they don't like them so expect some wear and tear.
    e2save are legit. :)
    I need a new phone, but I cant be bothered with the hassle. I only use my phone to text a tiny bit and make the occasional call. Just its a siemens and does all kinds of weird and wonderful things, like turning itself off when you press enter. I emailed siemens customer service and after 4 weeks they emailed me saying if i sent it back they would install the newest firmware. I decided that im better off keeping the hunk of junk and get a new phone at some point in the future :) preferably costing me as little as possible.
    As long a you send the relevant statements on time and by recorded delivery to cover yourself then there will be no problems.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

I'm on one of these contracts too and if I play my cards right I'll only pay £9.99 a month for my brand new Motorolla Razr. However, like Usual Suspect said, make sure you post off the phone statements with plenty of time to spare and by recorded delivery because otherwise they'll just get them, bin them and say they never arrived, thus they're legally entitled to not refund you anything and you end up paying the full price.

It's like banks, they say "Oh we don't want you to be late paying off your credit card! Oh that's the last thing we want!" yet they make millions and millions and millions of pounds from people paying late repayment fines so OF COURSE they want it to happen. Well these phone offers are the same. "PAY NOTHING" they scream, yet surprise surprise, they make it as awkward as possible to claim back your money hoping that you mess up/forget/give up trying and just go with the full price contract in the end anyway.

THOSE SCHEMING BASTARDS!1!!

Although if I was a phone company I'd do the same :) People's stupidity and lack of understanding is a very lucrative business.
    e2save are legit. :)

I wouldn't go as far as to say carphone warehouse are legit.

As its CW, I'd say avoid it like Gary Glitter.