Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help needed again..

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
Basically my mates a carpet fitter and I've been working and driving for him recently (he's disqualified). the gearbox on our usual van fucked up recently and for the last couple of days we've I've been driving a rental van.

Last night we went out on the piss and before time was called I left the van up the pub and left with girl. This morning I found out that my mate took the van whilst pissed up and managed to stove it into a parked car on my road and do some pretty serious damage. He'd then parked the van at my gaff and walked home.

There was a trail of debris all along the road leadign my house and
about 10 this morning I get a knock on the door from the one of my neighbours askign what had happened to their car. I told them that though I usually drive it I hadn't had it last night but I had a good idea who had. I then took the blokes details and said I'd get my mate to call.

Now my mate has given them some bullshit story about somebody else driving but offered them 3 grand as long as he coudl keep the car (a fair deal) or to pay for any repairs that may need doing. The bloke however wants to keep the car + the 3 grand or go through the insurance.

Now here's my problem. If the bloke does decide to take the insurance route, my mate wants me to say I was driving. I obviously don't want to do this but my mate could face a custodial sentance if I don't.
It also means I have to tell the rental company that I was driving where as if there's no claim we coudl easilly pass off the damamge to the van as somehting that happened on site.

If I were to say I was driving would it affect my no claims?
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'd assume so, yeh. but i think that's only if you make a claim.

it'd be a good thing to do for your mate but it was a very selfish thing of him to do, imo. and he shouldn't ask you to take the rap for it. think he ought to face up to the consequences of his actions; afterall why should you pay for it when you did nothing wrong?!

sorry to sound like a grandma n all.
  • Options
    would mr. neghbour be better off than 3k by going through the insurance? if it's not likely- I recon he's bluffing!
  • Options
    it'd be a good thing to do for your mate

It'd be a sodding awful thing to do for a "mate". I'd dob him in, there is no excuse for driving whilst drunk, disqualified, or anything else.

Your "mate" only faces a custodial sentence because he bloody well deserves one. No sympathy for him whatsoever. Don't lie for him, don't lose your no claims - tell him straight; he either sorts it with the owner of the damaged car, and quickly - or you go and talk to the police.

You need to work this out quickly, or it could well be assumed that it's a bullshit story - and you end up being done for driving whilst drunk, leaving the scene of an accident, etc, etc.
  • Options
    It'd be a sodding awful thing to do for a "mate". I'd dob him in,

There's some irony there. I'm not grass, and never will be.

I'm worried about my no claims more than anything. I don't know how it works with a rental company.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    would mr. neghbour be better off than 3k by going through the insurance? if it's not likely- I recon he's bluffing!

The cars worth about that much, and I think to repair it would probably be cheaper. This blokes just being a cunt though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

I'm worried about my no claims more than anything. I don't know how it works with a rental company.

i'd try not to look at it as being a grass. you wouldn't be dobbing him in, you'd just not be unneccessarily dobbing yourself in.

god its ages since i've used the word dob!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

You will lose your no claims bonus (if it isn't protected) on any car/van insurance that you have because it is a requirement of your own insurance company to declare any accidents you have had in the past 3 years. You will also have to pay the excess on the rental insurance, if it is hired in your name (wherever you claim the accident took place).

If you can afford to get your your neighbour's car fixed without using the insurance I'd do that. Your neighbour seems to be an innocent party here, so you don't have much to negotiate on with him.

So it all depends how much you value your no claims record, which is all you will lose if you lie about who was driving. Apart from the fact that your "mate" has asked to to break the law for him, and risk prosecution yourself.
  • Options
  • Options
    First of all, I know he's your mate, and nobody wants to grass on a mate.

But you must not, under any circumstances, say you were driving.

You've got a previous criminal conviction which almost gave you bird. You've had more hassle with the rozzers recently. If the police or insurance get the vaguest whiff that you were driving they will do you for driving away from the scene, driving without due care or possibly even dangerous driving. Driving away from the scene is a serious offence. You're not exactly popular with the bill at the minute, they'll do you. You could get seriously screwed over on this- think a driving ban at the very least.

Driving is important to your job, you could lose it.

Your no-claims should be the least of your worries, mate. But yes, you have to declare any accidents when you renew, and it is highly likely that your premiums will go trhough the roof when the insurance find out what you did. I don't know about your no-claims, as you're not claiming on that policy you might not lose it. It depends.

It's your mate's mess, and he can get himself out of it. That sounds callous, I know, but you have to look after yourself first.

Do you want bird and to lose your job because of something some drunken twat did? I know I wouldn't.
  • Options
    Why did he have the keys to the van anyway?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

You're not a grass? He's not a mate if he's dropping you in the shit like this. None of us know everything, we're going on the facts you have posted - he has driven a vehicle whilst disqualified, whilst over the limit - and he has had an accident, driven away from the scene, parked the vehicle outside YOUR house, and wants YOU to say that YOU were driving.

He's a mate, is he? He sounds like a fcuking cnut.

If this goes down under your name, your NCB will likely vanish. The Police will start investigating as it wasn't reported, the vehicle was driven away from the scene without the authorities being informed, or the owner being informed. You think the owner of the other car is being a git now? Just wait until he tells the Police that your mate was driving the van, and offered to pay for the damage to be repaired.

What'll happen to you then?

Even if it all goes smoothly, is it right that your "mate" gets away with this, and stands a good chance of offending again - possibly killing someone?

If he went on to kill someone, who could have changed the outcome? He, quite obviously, hasn't managed to grasp the rules of the road - he's currently banned, and banned for a reason. You owe it to the children next door, my neice, my grandmother, and all the other innocent people who might be on the same road as him to let your "mate" take the punishment he deserves.
  • Options
    If he went on to kill someone, who could have changed the outcome? He, quite obviously, hasn't managed to grasp the rules of the road - he's currently banned, and banned for a reason. You owe it to the children next door, my neice, my grandmother, and all the other innocent people who might be on the same road as him to let your "mate" take the punishment he deserves.

:yes:
  • Options
    Well the bloke who's car he hit has accepted the 3 grand which, so that's good news.

The only thing I have to worry about now is the rental wagon. I'm probably going to say that I left it on the side of the road and somebody obviously gave a wack on Sat night.
    I'd be cunt to call the police, my mate would go to prison and I'd lose my job.

He is a mate of mine, and he hasn't dropped me in the shit, he's dropped himself in the shit - I do have the opertunity though of getting him out of it. Somethign that I'll probably try and do. He'd do the same for me so...

He's just had to cough up over three grand and will now have to pay a the excess on the rental - prison won't do him or me any good.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    prison won't do him or me any good.

Might teach him that he was lucky this time to not have killed someone.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Might teach him that he was lucky this time to not have killed someone.

I'm guessing a bill of over £3k is going to be a good learning experience which wont fuck the rest of his life like prison could.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm guessing a bill of over £3k is going to be a good learning experience which wont fuck the rest of his life like prison could.

A ban in the first place didn't seem to stop him so why would £3000
  • Options
    Because people care about money more than you think. That's why it's 25 years (ish) for armed robbery and that guy who raped his dying stepdaughter got just 9.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    A ban in the first place didn't seem to stop him so why would £3000

Its not just the £3k though is it, its the close shave, its the fact that he very nearly got caught etc.

I can totally understand that what he did was massively dangerous, and I can see your point about teaching him a lesson. But prison wont do him any good and in the end its likely we'll all end up paying for it.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Skive wrote:
    The only thing I have to worry about now is the rental wagon. I'm probably going to say that I left it on the side of the road and somebody obviously gave a wack on Sat night.
    I'd be cunt to call the police, my mate would go to prison and I'd lose my job.

He's just had to cough up over three grand and will now have to pay a the excess on the rental - prison won't do him or me any good.

If you say it was damaged on the side of the road it should just be a case of saying 'no knowledge' on the vehicle report form and coughing up the excess. If you need any help with the forms give us a shout.