Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New years(ish) loft clear out: Throw out old university and school college notes?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
New years resolution to sort out my old stuff stored in my parents' loft. Came across old school exercise books, college notes and university notes.

Should I throw it all out? Or keep it? Keep some of it? Or electronically scan some of it (anal/obsessive/time consuming!)

Goes back over 10 years.

I think a few of the university assignments are worth keeping but lecture notes could probably go in the recycling because I think I could always buy a more up to date book if I need to refer on the subject.

I think same for college notes. I mean is there anything worth keeping in A level lecture notes compared with a new book bought on amazon when needed? Probably incomplete inaccurate notes anyway...

School exercise books from 16 years old and younger could go but there is something sentimental about them - help me rationalise with your comments.

Basically I'm aiming for a minimal clutter free, low baggage life, with some of my lifes work stored on a hard drive or DVD.

Care to share experiences and thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, by all means, get rid of some of it. Until recently, I still had school books from when I was 11 years old. I decided to get rid of loads of them, the recycling service took them all. I'm also getting rid of several of my notes from college as they're in no way relevant to anything I'm doing now, nor can I see how they'll be relevant to any subject I do in future. Only get rid of them if you're sure you'll never, ever need them again.
  • Options
    If you don't need them then get rid of them.
  • Options
    I recently got rid of a whole load of old school books and stuff. I can't be bothered with the "sentimental" purpose of keeping them. They just take up space and add to the clutter in my room.
  • Options
    Chuck it all out. If you really want to keep some of it, give it to your parents- they'll treasure it, you get free storage regardless of where or howoften you move

:D
  • Options
    Be ruthless and chuck the lot, or the majority anyway.

I'm one to talk, since I'm the biggest hoarder around, but if you're disciplined enough to do it then it can only be a good thing. :)