Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Council Tax fandango...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I love that word fandango. But yes anyway...council tax.

I'm in an odd (and dubious) situation with my council tax. When I moved in to my flat I was badgered into putting the council tax into my name as a student and then saying I was the only one living here by both one of my flatmates and my landlord. I hated to do it and I've been paranoid as fuck since.

Anyway, the guy that made me do it is finally moving out and my boyfriend is moving in and as he's doing an intensive learning course at the moment he plans to sign on. Obviously he can't do that unless he's on the council tax register.

So I want to make it all above board and legal and include my 2 other flatmates (luckily who are both full time students and have letters from the colleges) who will say they've just moved in (as the other two rooms have been used for "storage") and the other new flatmate we'll be getting.

So I just want to know if there are 5 people in a house and 3 of them are students and one is on benefits (don't know what the last one will be as of yet) what will the council tax bill be like? If the new person is a student also will the 20% sole occupant discount be applicable to my bf? Will he get any help from the government? He's only signing on as a temporary measure until he gets a part time job.

I feel so stupid for getting myself into this situation in the first place, I understand how much trouble I can get into. It would have been so much easier if we'd started off with the truth, but I basically got coerced into it because my stupid bastard of a flatmate didn't want to pay money he legally should have and threatened me with not letting me live here. And it's the sort of gaff I didn't want to lose!

Comments

• Options
    If there is one person eligible to pay the tax, you get a 25% discount. If there are two people eligible to pay the tax, you will not get a discount.

If your bf is on benefits he is entitled to register for housing and council tax benefit. That will cover something towards his portion of the tax, up to the full amount- i.e. 75% if he is alone, 50% if there is another CT payer in the house, based on means-testing.

As for the form, just say they've moved in now. I doubt they'll check.
  • Options
    Would it be terribly naughty just to register him now, so he can sign on etc. and say that we'll be getting flatmates very soon. And when we've sorted all of his stuff out in a few weeks then going back with my flatmates letters from their respective colleges (they are international students) and sorting that out then and there?
  • Options
    Also because my landlord was part of the coercing do you reckon that he might have something riding on this in regards to tax? Like there's only one person registered as living in the house on the council tax so then he only has to explain the income from that and pay tax on it?
  • Options
    You can register someone as soon as they move in. It's up to the other occupants to register themeselves.

Your bf will be liable for 75% rate council tax though.
  • Options
    So if my boyfriend signs onto the council tax. If the other two do not go and do it themselves I'm not liable?
  • Options
    you could be as you lied and if that was found out you could be in trouble. I would just register everyone.
  • Options
    Register everyone. The students are not liable to pay any tax. Anyone who is working will be counted as a soul occupant (as the only person liable to pay tax) and have to pay 75% of the tax on the house.

Hope that helps as Kermit say if they are unemployed then the will be able to apply for help with their council tax.

xx
  • Options
    Cool cool. I have to get my tenancy agreement changed to include him don't I so he can have proof that he needs help with his council tax?
  • Options
    erm why, if your other housemates were fulltiem students did you just put your name on

if you are all fulltime students, then you all would have been exempt from the tax?
  • Options
    Because I was bullied into it basically.
  • Options
    i am moving in with 4 3rd year students in july. when we signed the tennancy agreement, i put myself down as a 3rd year student too. will this have any complications later on?

also, if the council tax on the house is 1000, we pay 200 each. but if im the only worker, do i pay 200 or have to fork out 1000?

sorry for hijacking your thread, but its very similar to one i was going to start.

thanks
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote:
    also, if the council tax on the house is 1000, we pay 200 each. but if im the only worker, do i pay 200 or have to fork out 1000?

if you are the only worker, you are the only one who has to pay. but you will be able to get a discount if it's only you working, so you'll only pay £750.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote:
    i am moving in with 4 3rd year students in july. when we signed the tennancy agreement, i put myself down as a 3rd year student too. will this have any complications later on?

sorry for hijacking your thread, but its very similar to one i was going to start.

thanks

the authorities do check
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote:

Legally unless you have a letter from your university you can't be counted as a student and will have to pay tax.

And also legally from April 2004 I think, they cannot get any money out of real students, so technically you should pay the full whack.