Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I making a huge mistake?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's totally different than back home. Best thing to do is get out there and do some partying!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It's totally different than back home. Best thing to do is get out there and do some partying!
    Even if I was on the outskirts of a town, it would be different to where I am now. Manchester's tempting, as I understand it's in the centre of the city. But I'm not making any decisions until I've visited the open day.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Even if I was on the outskirts of a town, it would be different to where I am now. Manchester's tempting, as I understand it's in the centre of the city. But I'm not making any decisions until I've visited the open day.

If you can, try and talk to some people who are at the uni at the moment as well. If someone gives you a tour, ask them questions about what it's like. That way you'll get a better feel for the place than just by looking around.
  • Options
    If you can, try and talk to some people who are at the uni at the moment as well. If someone gives you a tour, ask them questions about what it's like. That way you'll get a better feel for the place than just by looking around.
    You mean ask them on the open day, presumably? :) Good idea, that one.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You mean ask them on the open day, presumably? :) Good idea, that one.

Yeah ;) Make sure you do!
  • Options
    Yeah ;) Make sure you do!
    What are good questions to ask on an open day?
  • Options
    Right, this is daft, this thread.

IT'S YOUR CHOICE. Not something to be influenced by randoms on the internet. You just don't know until you go, this is why you need to go. Stop letting blooming random folk on t'internet tell you what's what. You need some bloody reality.

I say you bite the bullet, try it out if it's shite then you come home and shrug your shoulders and say "Welp, I tried it."

Fin.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What are good questions to ask on an open day?

Things that you are worried about!!!!!

Agreed with the post above.

Seriously if one of your major worries about all this is because of your poor cooking skills then its definitley time you flew the nest.

a) You need to gain the basic life skills that will give you independence because you wont ever get anywhere in life without some measure of independence.

b) You need to be able to make decisions without going onto an internet message board looking for answers and over analysing every aspect of it.

I hope you aren't taking this as an attack because it genuinely isn't meant to be one but I am amazed how much your depending on this place for your decisions. I half expected you to copy and paste the forms and ask someone to fill them out for you.

Your what? 19? You're an adult and you need to be able to make decisions for yourself. Talking over your concerns is one thing, all this is quite another.

Good luck with it all. From my own experience going to uni was the best decision i ever made. Jump in at the deep end, keep an open mind and have some fun!
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Right, this is daft, this thread.

IT'S YOUR CHOICE. Not something to be influenced by randoms on the internet. You just don't know until you go, this is why you need to go. Stop letting blooming random folk on t'internet tell you what's what. You need some bloody reality.

I say you bite the bullet, try it out if it's shite then you come home and shrug your shoulders and say "Welp, I tried it."

Fin.
    :yes: I agree with 1983.

At the end of the day, you are not going to know if University is for you until you go. You've always got the option of leaving if you don't like it. If you don't give it a try, you will only regret it.
  • Options
    There are some fair points being made here. Yes, I may well have depended a lot up until now on the site, frankly I make no apologies for that, but I think I'll be needing less help from here on. As for 1983, I've reported your disgraceful post, that was not acceptable.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As for 1983, I've reported your disgraceful post, that was not acceptable.

Oh god.

You are always the victim, eh.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    There are some fair points being made here. Yes, I may well have depended a lot up until now on the site, frankly I make no apologies for that, but I think I'll be needing less help from here on. As for 1983, I've reported your disgraceful post, that was not acceptable.

reported? for what? being slightly too blunt? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jon_UK was right to say I have depended too much on this place up until now on the university issue. I don't apologise for having concerns about the whole thing, but maybe I am too worried about it. As for whether her post was "blunt", as you put it, or downright nasty, as I believe, I'll let the moderators decide, it's in their hands now.

Anyway, as for those who had something serious to say in this thread, and weren't using it to make personal attacks ad nauseum, I'd just like to say I've made my decision. I've thought about it over the weekend, I'm going ahead with university, partly to prove my critics wrong. Just you watch me. I've been fighting depression for years, I'm fighting schizophrenia, and I'm winning. And I'm going to get to university and get a fantastic degree. Just you wait! :D
  • Options
    You really need to stop thinking so much about others opinions, the phrase 'its only a stupid message board' is over used, but there's truth in it.

Even if 1983 called you a monkey fucker with a really small penis, what difference would it make?

You asked for people's views, they gave them, if you dont like it ignore them.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As for whether her post was "blunt", as you put it, or downright nasty, as I believe, I'll let the moderators decide, it's in their hands now.

It wasn't nasty, blunt yes. But you need to stop thinking that the moderators will ban me or whatever because all my posts I've made in the whole 4 years of being here do not revolve around you.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Oh god.

You are always the victim, eh.

he is, you're right.

the best bet is to not comment in ANY of his threads or at ANYTHING he says. if you do, he'll accuse you of bullying and report you to a mod.

just pretend he's not there. :yes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As for 1983, I've reported your disgraceful post, that was not acceptable.

What was disgraceful about it? She makes a very good point. Stop moaning all the goddamn time.

Go on, report me now, I dare you.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I have no idea what you mean by victim status. I can't see any definition at all of it here, leading me to suspect such a thing does not exist. What do you mean?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I have no idea what you mean by victim status. I can't see any definition at all of it here, leading me to suspect such a thing does not exist. What do you mean?

They mean you like to be set upon, you seem to revel in your status as 'the one everyone picks on'.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    They mean you like to be set upon, you seem to revel in your status as 'the one everyone picks on'.
    Well, I don't believe there's any truth in that, so you can forgive me for thinking they're talking bollocks, as usual.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

seriously, i have no idea how the hell you can construe 1983's post as disgraceful
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well, I don't believe there's any truth in that, so you can forgive me for thinking they're talking bollocks, as usual.

There may not be any truth in that, but thats certainly how it comes across.

Did you really need to report that post? Was it really that nasty?
  • Options
    *Looks on as a despairing bystander...* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    that post made some good honest points, about it being your choice and yours alone, and that while having advice and guidance from other people might help or shape your decision, the choice is yours to make

now thats pretty much what 1983 said, so am i going to get reported now
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    that post made some good honest points, about it being your choice and yours alone, and that while having advice and guidance from other people might help or shape your decision, the choice is yours to make.

now thats pretty much what 1983 said, so am i going to get reported now
    1983 has a very forceful, forthright way of putting across her points. That's fine. The problem is, I think she's breached the rules this time and was being nasty simply for the sake of it. After all, she has form in this department. If that was indeed the point she was making, it didn't come across like that.
  • Options
    I've just reported you because your a geordie cunt :p :rolleyes:

SG, do whatever you want, Hurrah I'm getting reported now :(
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    1983 has a very forceful, forthright way of putting across her points. That's fine. The problem is, I think she's breached the rules this time and was being nasty simply for the sake of it. After all, she has form in this department. If that was indeed the point she was making, it didn't come across like that.

I'm serious SG, what difference would it have made if she had really insulted you, really mouthing off about the size of your ears for example? What actual difference would it make?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No she wasn't at all. Your just reading too much into it. Jesus christ.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yes, because that is what I do with ALL my time. Hunt out posts by you and belittle you. :|

YOU think I've breached rules, I think I've made a valid point. Get your finger out, lad and buck up.
  • Options
    Looking back mate, my post reads more bluntly than 1983's. She didn't make a personal attack. She reiterated the point nearly everyone else has made.

I think you're reading too much into what she's written. I don't see any personal attacks in this thread just honest feedback which is surely what you were looking for when you made it? Thats the point of asking advice on the internet ... we don't know you, we have no reason to sugar coat it.

Well done on the decision, you'll have a great time :thumb: