Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

store cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if i was to get a store card from somewhere which was offereing 20% off your first purchase, say new look, could i apply, get the money off, and pay it off and cancel it as soon as possible then wait the required 28 days and apply again to get the 20% again? and do the same thing over and over?

or is that classed as some sort of fraud?

Comments

• Options
    is it realllllly worth it?

they'd probably start realising something fishy was going on if you handed in the same name/address all the time.

but my general view is that at new look, it's not worth it to save 20%.
  • Options
    i'd say its not worth it either, they grab you with the money off then they hit you with the sky high interest rates!
  • Options
    They probably wouldn't give it to you as they will just look your name and addy up.
  • Options
    Yes its only really worth it if you save up a load of money and go shopping once every 3 or 6 months and buy alll your clothes from New Look spend a couple of hundred pounds and then get 20% off - keep the card for say a year and dont' put anything on it and then cancell it.

Then 6 months later decide on another shop say oasis - save up all your money spend again spend it all in one go in one shop and get the 20% off and reapeat with a different shop every 6 months for a couple of years and then go back to new look.

Plus the ammount of time and hastle it takes you to open an accounta each time is only goig to be worth it if your saving big bucks.
  • Options
    so long as you pay it off the following month then you dont have to pay interest so i'd say yeh go for it, so long as you can trust yourself to pay it off!

I'd probably try my luck at doing it again and again as well, i cant see that even if they did realise they'd stop you, your not doing anything illegal are you? your paying them off each time.

might be worth asking one of the people that work there, its not like they mind particularly, its not like your ripping them off personally is it
  • Options
    I think you'd probably get rejected on your second or third go, once they rang through to CapitalOne (or whoever the card provider is) and then they check your credit history etc. I'm not 100%, but it's likely.
  • Options
    Yeah, all they have to do is check with the companies who keep all the information on you. They'll have a full history of everything: store cards, credit cards, loans, etc etc. Basically you can try but most likely you won't be able to get a card twice anyway.
  • Options
    I don't think its worth it becuase the discount will just be made up with their high interest rates. Some have an interest rate as high as 30%!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Introductory offers are strictly for new customers, NOT returning ones.

They check if you're a new customer, they're not daft.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Introductory offers are strictly for new customers, NOT returning ones.

They check if you're a new customer, they're not daft.

What he said. You wouldn't qualify for the offer.

Besides it's a lot of hassle isn't it?
  • Options
    Shops like New Look, Mark One, etc tend to reduce their stock every week anyway. No need to go the trouble of applying for new cards to get 20% discount. I bought a lovely flying jacket from Mark One for 40 pounds, opened an account to get the discount went in about 3 weeks later saw the same jacket for 15 pounds. I felt pig sick, but it was still well worth getting it at the orignal prices its a lovely, warm, trendy jacket that wasnt very expensive to start off with.