Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Phelgm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got it and I wanna get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

I'm starting to get a really sticky phelgm building up in the back of my throat and making me want to constantly cough.

No idea what's causing it or how to get rid of it. It bothers me most at night when I lay my head back and it then collects in my throata nd makes me feel like I'll choke.

No idea where it's even coming from... it's so annoying because I feel fine really but then if it means I loose sleep I end up waking up and am tired for the rest of the day.

Comments

• Options
    Dairy can aggravate it, so cut cheese/milk/cheese (what else dairy is there really?) down and see if that helps.
  • Options
    erm...well i can just sort of open up my throat until all the phlem eventually all comes up then just spit it out.. maybe try if that works?
  • Options
    cough it up and spit it out?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    z01 wrote:
    thats what i was thinking! as nice as it sounds :yuck:
  • Options
    z01 wrote:

Am I the only person who's totally incapable of doing this? :grump: I've tried many a time, but just end up making the most bizarre noises, with no success!
  • Options
    least you don't have phlegm in your bloody chest that refuses to come out. :grump:
  • Options
    I'm currently taking a medicine that makes me cough it all up. Sometimes I cough it up, put it in my hand and throw it at people...you'll be amazed how far a big piece of phlegm goes.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I'm currently taking a medicine that makes me cough it all up. Sometimes I cough it up, put it in my hand and throw it at people...you'll be amazed how far a big piece of phlegm goes.

What's the name of the medicine?
  • Options
    Pholcodine Linctus
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

you're not joking, are you. :sour:
  • Options
    Steaming your face over a bowl of hot water with a towel over your head usually helps and lay off the dairy products.
  • Options
    you're not joking, are you. :sour:

Nope...especially if they have hard lumps in them...very fun indeed. I have a lot of phlegm as I have some sort of chest/lung infection.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope...especially if they have hard lumps in them...very fun indeed. I have a lot of phlegm as I have some sort of chest/lung infection.

yeh i've got a chest infection; bloody stuff won't come up far enough for me to cough it up though!

getting better now though. :thumb:

just got that ear infection to get rid of... :grump:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Dairy can aggravate it, so cut cheese/milk/cheese (what else dairy is there really?) down and see if that helps.
    Youhgurt.
  • Options
    Tates wrote:
    Am I the only person who's totally incapable of doing this? :grump: I've tried many a time, but just end up making the most bizarre noises, with no success!
    :lol: :yes: :D
  • Options
    :yuck:
    turlough wrote:
    Nop :yuck: e...especially if they :yuck: have hard lumps in them...very :yuck: fun indeed. I have :yuck: a lot of phlegm a :yuck: s I have some :yuck: sort of chest/lung infection.
    :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: Naughty boy, bad boy in your bed!! (Harry Hill).
  • Options
    My inhaler opens up my airways...if you have asthma i suppose