Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

TV Licensing people

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    You also don't have any obligation to tell them in writing about anything.

Well, it depends. If yo do so, it stops them from bothering you for longer than if you ignore them, so to reduce the amount of hassle you need to write to them.

But yes, the license men are lying little shites. One told me their detector van found a television in my house the previous week. I told him there wasn't a TV receiver in the house, but he may have seen a computer when he was looking through my window. He said he needed to come in, I reminded him that the limit of his authority was to require that I show him any TV receiving apparatus (which may be outdated - as it really only helps against people running a colour TV on a B/W license), and as I had none there was none to show.

We have also written to our MP about the threatening tone of the letters.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    Well, it depends. If yo do so, it stops them from bothering you for longer than if you ignore them, so to reduce the amount of hassle you need to write to them.

Yeah, but there isn't any legal obligation to. Which they imply.
    lolzabeth wrote:
    I got told I had to get one in my student flat even though the signal was so bad you couldn't actually get a picture.
    It was a TV/Video combi and that was all it was used for apart from the Playstation.
    The TV licence people came round and told me I had to get one anyway.

You were lied to honey.

That's what the BBC and the TV extortionists do. Lie.

They lie to get you to fork out the money. The lie because they're on commission for the number of people they catch. They lie because they are cunts.
  • Options
    Yeah, but there isn't any legal obligation to. Which they imply.

I phoned them. Once. Never heard from them again.
    They lie to get you to fork out the money. The lie because they're on commission for the number of people they catch. They lie because they are cunts.

Isn't it funny how people who apply the law very rarely follow it unless you show them you know what's going on?