Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alternative to the BBC

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Not really, its a QANGO.

nice acronym :p

what exactly does Quasi Autonomous mean then?

I guess I'd always just assumed it was partially state controlled, seeing as it's illigal not to pay your license fee and watch tv. Which means you have to by law pay this fee, which makes it a bit like tv tax.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    what exactly does Quasi Autonomous mean then?.

It means quasi, as in 'sort of' and autonomous as in 'independant'
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It means quasi, as in 'sort of' and autonomous as in 'independant'

ah ok :)
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Home Choice is owned by Murdoch.
    Are you sure? A search reveals it's owned by a company called Video Networks Ltd. See the House of Commons statement to it:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:8tq5HV_G9CgJ:www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmcumeds/82/4062911.htm+who+owns+homechoice&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=4
  • Options
    :lol: quasi :D :hyper: :D

sorry, I have nothing sensible to add, just the word quasi always makes me chuckle.

I don't have a tv. I don't listen to bbc radio either.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are you sure? A search reveals it's owned by a company called Video Networks Ltd. See the House of Commons statement to it:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:8tq5HV_G9CgJ:www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmcumeds/82/4062911.htm+who+owns+homechoice&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=4

Hmmm, you've got me doubting now, I swear I saw on the bottom of one of their ad's that it was owned by Sky. I'll check.

This suggests they want to buy it;

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1591015,00.html

And their movie on demand service is inconjunction with Sky.
  • Options
    I don't think it's owned by Murdoch yet but I'm pretty sure he's planning on buying it in the near future.
  • Options
    I snoop:

Video Networks Ltd

Chairman and CEO: Roger Lynch
    COO and Board Member: Dean Hawkins
    CFO; Managing Director, Corporate Development; Board Member: Peter Gutman
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Murdoc is a fucking twatarsedcunt. I hate the bastard, he should be shot, shot again, strung up and burnt. Fucker. /End Rant.

Ahem. The beeb is a quango now is it? I always though it was entirley state. Hmm.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ahem. The beeb is a quango now is it? I always though it was entirley state. Hmm.

Nope, the structure of the BBC is set by the government, but after that they have only a very little say in how the money is spent. Thus they are quasi autonomous.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    americans find it very funny indeed,that it is possible to go to jail for watching the t.v. without a licence. ive always thought it to be rediculous being forced to pay this wether you watch bbc or not.its a stuffy outdated institution that needs to stand on its own two feet imo.
    There are some good things about America, like a dedication to the principle of free speech that ensures some pretty good investigative journalism. We don't have that culture, so we make do with a broadcasting organisation that is independent of commercial interests so that it's journalists can probe where the state would prefer it not to. The 'dodgy dossier' comes to mind.

There are some bad things about America, too. For all the Seinfields and Frasiers, there is a huge sludge pit of abominable television that we are fortunate enough to be spared. It's a cliche, but our state broadcaster is still the envy of the free world (I don't know why I said 'free' world particularly, it's just something people say. I guess the non-free world has other things to worry about).

The interview of Colleen Graffy by John Humphreys at 8:10 this morning was worth today's 35p right there...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    All the Americans I know bemoan the amount of tripe they have on TV there, granted you get a few good show's but most of them are on expensive cable channels like HBO.

OT, but I wish we had HBO, they seem to produce/show excellent TV and film.

Personally, I think the BBC (in all incarnations) is well worth the licence fee, so I don't complain about it.
  • Options
    Homechoice was formed from a group that split from Sky if I remember rightly, and given that there has just been an announcement that Sky sports and movies have only just been allowed to be shown on Homechoice, I'd be surprised if they were the same company.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Do you work for the BBC or something? :lol:
    As for sky charging for a subcription - sure, they charge, but i dont have a problem with that because people have a choice whether to buy from sky or not same as any company. The BBC doesnt give viewers any choice its either buy a license, dont own a TV or risk getting a fine/arrested!
    Does anybody else remember the Fry And Laurie sketch where Stephen Fry is a waiter who finds himself serving a minister who advocates the principle of freedom of choice in broadcasting? He's effusive in his praise of the man's politics, then appears to notice that his customer's knife is not entirely pristine. Against the minister's genial protestations that the blemish is hardly anything at all, Fry takes the offending article back to the kitchen and returns with a sackful of disposable blades, which, to the minister's horror, he dumps onto the table. "But these are just plastic knives!" quoths the hapless servant of the public. "But you've got a choice", exhorts Fry. "They might all be crap, but you've still got a choice!" he shouts, becoming increasingly irate.

Top sketch.
  • Options
    tbh_hippie wrote:
    Look guys, 35p of our TV licence money gets spent on the links you get to collectively roll eyes and foam at the mouth over! Top value for money or what!!!
    I could tolerate spending another 20p or so if they'd get decent message boards...
  • Options
    The quality, or otherwise, of the BBC is irrelevant. For every Life on Mars there's something with Jim Davidson in it. For every Panorama there's, well, Panorama. And ITV created Wire in the Blood, Frost, Inspector Morse, Taggart, Miss Marple- the BBC does not hold the monopoly on quality programming.

To say that investigative journalism cannot be presented on commercial television is ludicrous. Channel Four News continues to be the best television news service by far, and that- funnily enough- is on commercial TV. Similarly, the BBC had to back down with regards to David Kelly because the Government controlled the purse strings.

And again, Channel Four provides an excellent education programming schedule.

But all this is irrelevant. The BBC operates as a commercial organisation, and as such it should be funded as one. If it wants to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on "stars" like Norton, Clarkson, Lineker and Kaye, then fair enough. But it should pay for it from its own pocket, not mine.

The only parts of the BBC which can possible be justified as being in the public interest to remain free from commercial pressures are the social programming, such as religious programming, education programming, such as the OU, and local radio. You could possibly make a case for BBC News, and probably for BBCi, which is an excellent internet resource that is free at the point of delivery.

If the BBC wishes to chase viewers, it can do so with it's money, not mine.

As for the advertising argument, nobody will remove your liberty if you don't pay for ITV. As I've said before, my local butcher doesn't sponsor Millionaire, and my local greengrocer doesn't advertise during the footy. The corner shop doesn't sponsor Corrie, now, does it? There are enough products out there that do not advertise on the TV.

And as I've asked on the other thread, I'll ask here. Can you tell me where I can vote out the DG, or vote for a DG who will sack mental deficients like monkey boys Kaye and Norton?

I'm similarly waiting to see if anyone will justify the situation where ITV ahs to pay a huge premium to the BBC, via the Government, in order to broadcast. That's as ludicrous a situation as Asda only being allowed to open if they pay £300m a year to Tesco.
  • Options
    It boils down to this Kermit: if the BBC had to rely exclusively on advertising for funding, then ratings would be its only concern.

If ratings are a broadcaster's only concern, the contents are going to be dumbed down rather drastically.

Like it or not the BBC is a cultural asset to this country and indeed the world. I agree that the licence fee is not fair but until someone comes with a solution, if it comes to choosing between keeping the BBC as it is vs. scrapping the licence fee and allowing the BBC to dumb down and become just another ITV, then I say fuck that and give me licence fee baby.

Sorry to those who disagree.
  • Options
    radio icey? as an alternative
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It boils down to this Kermit: if the BBC had to rely exclusively on advertising for funding, then ratings would be its only concern.

Ratings are its only concern anyway.

Why else does every bus in this entire city have a huge advert for Hotel Babylon on it? And last week is was for Becky Beaker, and the week before it was for chuffing EastEnders. They're not there to look pretty.
    If ratings are a broadcaster's only concern, the contents are going to be dumbed down rather drastically.

Perhaps.

I'll leave you to mull over Fame Academy, Just the Two Of Us, Celebrity Come Dancing, EastEnders...

BBC One is already a populist station based entirely on viewer ratings. BBC Two is little better, and as for three and four...well.

The BBC should be around to show programmes that would not otherwise be shown- i.e. arts, religion, current affairs, education. But if it is acting as a commercial actor, creating programmes simply for big audiences, then it can pay for it itself.