Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

anti biotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the gf is sick with a throat infection and im certain im starting to get it

i still have some amoxicillin left from the last time i had something ... would it be ok to start taking them before i see the doctor ? no doubt by the time i get to see the doctor the infection will get much worse so whats the point in letting it ?

but then what if the doctor gives me penicillian instead ? if i explained to him would he give me amoxicillin ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nooooo. That is soo not a good plan. I don't know if it is a good idea to start medicating your self. Go see the doctor first.
    why not ? i can definatly tell its a throat infection starting, whats the point in letting it get worse?
    Trouble is it could be a viral throat infection, in which case antibiotics are going to do nowt. You really should see the GP before starting to self prescribe :yes: How come you have some left over anyway...did you not finish the course last time?

If the GP does prescribe antibiotics i think he probably would prescribe pencillin, if you've got tonsiliitus or something, so amoxicillin is not going to help anyway...see your GP :)
    It's best to see a doctor first. Plus, you should really really finish a course of anti-biotics prescribed, it's a very important aspect of treatment. In some instances, you might not have taken enough to completely kill the infection, and it increases your chances of resistance to that anti-biotic in future, which is a growing problem, especially with certain strains of bacteria becoming resistant to anti-biotics.
    don't take them, you'd probably need to take the whole course anyway for them to work (?).

amoxicillin is rubbish. doctor gave me some for my chest infection and they did naff all! got some thing called arethramycin (know it's not spelt like that but it'll do!).

ring the docs in the morning and get an appointment.
    amoxicillin is rubbish. doctor gave me some for my chest infection and they did naff all! got some thing called arethramycin (know it's not spelt like that but it'll do!).

Erythromycin?
    Erythromycin?

yeh that's what i mean.

though i guess amoxicillin might work for some symptoms and not others therefore explaining why it was a waste of £6.50 for moi.
    yeh that's what i mean.

though i guess amoxicillin might work for some symptoms and not others therefore explaining why it was a waste of £6.50 for moi.

I cant believe how much the prescription charge has become...the price you pay for one little packt of tablets that cost pennies to roduce!! :rolleyes: Luckily here in Wales we get free prescriptions until the age of 25 :yes:
    I cant believe how much the prescription charge has become...the price you pay for one little packt of tablets that cost pennies to roduce!! :rolleyes: Luckily here in Wales we get free prescriptions until the age of 25 :yes:
    The cost of a lot of drugs is way higher though. I thought £6.50 was a bit high when I was on medication the whole time but then when I did some reasearch my medication actually was costing the NHS about £65 for a months supply so the £6.50 seems like a bargain.
    they're phenoxymethylpenicillin and too late i've already took a few ;(

ive picked it up from the gf ... she went to the doctor and got given antibitoics, the chances of it being something different are very slim

the antibiotics are from middle of last year

i really cant see the point in sitting and letting it get worse

and yes, ive got them left over from something else, i cant even remember, but theres still a good few left ..

buuuut .. what if it starts half clearing up and i go see the doctor and they decide i dont have a throat infection :chin:
    So its basic penicillin then.

Make sure u get to the doc quick because 'left overs' arent going to be enough to kill whatever is causing your symptoms.

You'd be surprised how expensive some medicines are. 3 that i noticed today for example on the invoice; an anti-convulsant £31, an anti-psychotic over £90, and the other was Vesicare which im not familar with but it was £30 a box.
    But true, anti-biotics are cheap, especially when get somein boxes of 500.
    ypu still need to go to the docs,

if you only take 1/2 the ammount that you are ment to you wont have killed everything and so it will probably come back, plus you are adding to strains of resistant bateria that are being created by people doing exactly what you describe - only taking 1/2 a course of the tablets.
    Don't just take old antibiotics...they don't last forever. You could do more damage than good if they've degraded. About 80% of throat infection are viral - which means antibiotics would do fuck all anyway if it is caused by a virus. Then even if it is a bacterial infection, the antibiotics might not even work on your particular infection. And then there's the fact that unless you take a full course of antibiotics, as prescribed by a qualified doctor, they are unlikely to wipe out the infection. You'd most likely just do damage by killing off your natural gut flora, which could lead to diarhea and worse.

To sum up, taking old antibiotics, when not prescribed, is a very stupid thing to do. Go to the doctor if you have any sense.
    z01 wrote:
    they're phenoxymethylpenicillin and too late i've already took a few ;(
    Why did you actually bother starting this thread if you were just going to ignore everything anyone said?
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Why did you actually bother starting this thread if you were just going to ignore everything anyone said?

i dont really see the problem .. they're not that old and im gonna get more off the doctor anyway ..
    A doctor wouldn't not perscribe anything unless it wouldn' twork. So if the doc wouldn't give you any theres no other reason than to think that they wouldn't work anyways. Do you really think they are going to deny you some antibiotics? Thats just absurd and quite frankly retarded.

As is the price you guys pay!! Oh my god I'm jelous, without my insurance I have over $600 a month in meds, and I only take 4 different ones :/
    Zo1 knows what the craic is with drugs anyway so leave him alone. His head is just one big chemical :)
    turlough wrote:
    Zo1 knows what the craic is with drugs anyway so leave him alone. His head is just one big chemical :)

:eek2: he asked!
    my_name wrote:
    Do you really think they are going to deny you some antibiotics? Thats just absurd and quite frankly retarded.

if the left over antibiotics from last time clear up the throat infection enough then im sure theres a chance that the doctor will say that i don't have a throat infection ? i dunno

and don't listen to that turlough one, thanks for all the replies :thumb:

like someone else has said, with many drugs you're paying way under the price that they actually cost. and yes, with some you'll pay over but i think it's a good system. my nanna has bone cancer and her drugs are quite expensive but only has to pay £6.50 for them.
    like someone else has said, with many drugs you're paying way under the price that they actually cost. and yes, with some you'll pay over but i think it's a good system. my nanna has bone cancer and her drugs are quite expensive but only has to pay £6.50 for them.

True, but a lot of the basic drugs prescribed are cheaper than the £6.50 to produce...and if that particular drug, for example pain killers if you have got sciatica, does not work then you have to pay again for something else. Take for example epilim, an anti-epiletic drug which the patient cannot live without, it costs lss than £2 to make, yet the prescription charge is £6.50 (think it is £5 something in Wales) Admittedly some drugs you will get a bargain for cos they are expensive to manufacture, but for a lot of prescriptions that price is quite high.
    True, but a lot of the basic drugs prescribed are cheaper than the £6.50 to produce...and if that particular drug, for example pain killers if you have got sciatica, does not work then you have to pay again for something else. Take for example epilim, an anti-epiletic drug which the patient cannot live without, it costs lss than £2 to make, yet the prescription charge is £6.50 (think it is £5 something in Wales) Admittedly some drugs you will get a bargain for cos they are expensive to manufacture, but for a lot of prescriptions that price is quite high.

but kinda equals out the fact that many are very expensive to produce. so, a good system i'd say. i know if i had cancer or something like my nanna that i wouldn't like the idea of paying however much for my medicine.