Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NHS approves use of quack medicine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well this isnt the story itself, but basically the NHS will fund prescriptions for magnetic bracelet things despite the fact it's unproven they even have an effect

which has a link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4582282.stm

bloody idiots
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oh and its a waste of money imo :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Like all placebo's, they work if the person really believes they will work.

To undermine such stuff for those who benefit from it without also explaining the process and what else they can do is flat out cruel.

If someone really believes in rubbish, and you take it away from them, what are you leaving them with, if no known drug is effective?

Pretty much every medical student is ahown how belief can override physiology in some way, be it someone sneezing at flowers that are plastic or cancer patients "spontaneously" recovering. Some people can even go to the dentist and need no anaesthetic, they feel what they want to and no more, no less.

And don't forget, according to science, no one should take aspirin, because they don't always work. Some people who take aspirin drop dead. :p
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Like all placebo's, they work if the person really believes they will work.

To undermine such stuff for those who benefit from it without also explaining the process and what else they can do is flat out cruel.

If someone really believes in rubbish, and you take it away from them, what are you leaving them with, if no known drug is effective?

Pretty much every medical student is ahown how belief can override physiology in some way, be it someone sneezing at flowers that are plastic or cancer patients "spontaneously" recovering. Some people can even go to the dentist and need no anaesthetic, they feel what they want to and no more, no less.

And don't forget, according to science, no one should take aspirin, because they don't always work. Some people who take aspirin drop dead. :p

you cant operate an honest medical system with placebos thoguh since it relies upon deception
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol:

Hehehe. Sillyness. More money wasted.
  • Options
    Okay, NHS = National health service.

If someone feels better, whether it is proven to have an effect or not, why not have it? After all if it is improving someones health what is the problem? Even if it only psychological health and not physiological.

Placebos are proven to work, and I imagine they are in use; the fact that they are not spoken of being used means the deception is working....
  • Options
    you cant operate an honest medical system with placebos thoguh since it relies upon deception

Honesty < helping people to get well.

Apart from that, you're wrong, some people get well even though they know they have placebos. How fucked up is that?

I don't care. I just want healthy, happy people.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Honesty < helping people to get well.

Apart from that, you're wrong, some people get well even though they know they have placebos. How fucked up is that?

I don't care. I just want healthy, happy people.

because it promotes bad business and gives money to peopel for doing nothing when there are people trying to honestly help people for the good of everyone and not defraud people of their money - that's why

faith doesnt justify funding quacks imo
  • Options
    Aye fair enough. There are two arguments here.

One is quack medicine - which can sometimes work, because belief moves mountains and the other is who pays for the installation of that belief.

I am in favour of quack medicine if it works, because it works when nothing else does.

I am in favour of the NHS because theft < keeping people alive.

I can see why you'd be less than thrilled paying for stuff that you have no idea will work.

'Nuff said.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    Aye fair enough. There are two arguments here.

One is quack medicine - which can sometimes work, because belief moves mountains and the other is who pays for the installation of that belief.

I am in favour of quack medicine if it works, because it works when nothing else does.

I am in favour of the NHS because theft < keeping people alive.

I can see why you'd be less than thrilled paying for stuff that you have no idea will work.

'Nuff said.

Yup. The NHS is a valuable thing. It should exist... you shouldn't have to pay for life... so its a lose situation either way. You pay for a saftey net you may never use... or you have nothing there if you need it. I'd go for the first.

If quack medicine works, and sometimes it does (They have given people "tablets" that were nothing, and they got better)... then fair enough.
  • Options
    well this isnt the story itself, but basically the NHS will fund prescriptions for magnetic bracelet things despite the fact it's unproven they even have an effect

Sorry, who says that they will?

The story says nothing about it so where did you get that information?
  • Options
    Sorry, who says that they will?

The story says nothing about it so where did you get that information?
    That's what I was about to post.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If quack medicine works, and sometimes it does (They have given people "tablets" that were nothing, and they got better)... then fair enough.

Homeopathy anyone? :lol:
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    Okay, NHS = National health service.

If someone feels better, whether it is proven to have an effect or not, why not have it? After all if it is improving someones health what is the problem? Even if it only psychological health and not physiological.

The problem is that the same strong belief in the placebo that provides relief too often leads to people believing that only the alternative therapy works and rejecting normal, evidence-based medicine.

There'd be no point in yanking the last shreds of hope away from terminally ill patients, but I think the more irresponsible practitioners of alternative therapies should be cracked down on hard and there's no way the NHS should pay for any of it, that'd set a dangerous precedent that'd lead to fat paycheques for life for every crystal-waving charlatan within a thousand miles.
  • Options
    The problem is that the same strong belief in the placebo that provides relief too often leads to people believing that only the alternative therapy works and rejecting normal, evidence-based medicine.

That's true. Theres also the problem the other way, with a total rejection of anything that hasn't been "Dr." approved. Neither's good imo.

Having someone on pills forever and persuading them to not look for alternatives to a lifetime of drugs is both self serving and wrong.
    but I think the more irresponsible practitioners of alternative therapies should be cracked down on hard and there's no way the NHS should pay for any of it, that'd set a dangerous precedent that'd lead to fat paycheques for life for every crystal-waving charlatan within a thousand miles.

I agree. But theres a problem. Let's take crystal wavers, for example. Apparently certain crystals "emit" a certain frequency that can be beneficial to people. This is the commonly held belief by those who use them and ther clients.

The fact that it's utter, utter bollocks because light bounces and the eye removes all except an objects colour to make sense of it really is neither here nor there. For some people it still works because they believe it will and are totally ignorant of how the eye works.

Rather oddly, paying for it on the NHS would give it more credence and make it more likely to work, because it's a hypnotic effect as much as a placebo.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    That's true. Theres also the problem the other way, with a total rejection of anything that hasn't been "Dr." approved. Neither's good imo.

Having someone on pills forever and persuading them to not look for alternatives to a lifetime of drugs is both self serving and wrong.

I agree. But theres a problem. Let's take crystal wavers, for example. Apparently certain crystals "emit" a certain frequency that can be beneficial to people. This is the commonly held belief by those who use them and ther clients.

The fact that it's utter, utter bollocks because light bounces and the eye removes all except an objects colour to make sense of it really is neither here nor there. For some people it still works because they believe it will and are totally ignorant of how the eye works.

Rather oddly, paying for it on the NHS would give it more credence and make it more likely to work, because it's a hypnotic effect as much as a placebo.

should we pay those african charm people that advertise around my area who claim they can cure cancer? :lol:
  • Options
    should we pay those african charm people that advertise around my area who claim they can cure cancer? :lol:
    Assuming it has above 10% efficacy, yes.
  • Options
    Assuming it has above 10% efficacy, yes

Exactly. If there are methods that are shown to work better then they should be used first. If you have an otherwise totally hopeless case, wheres the harm in trying some voodoo? At least your not just giving up.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Parkinson, my scientific journal says your as good as dead, let's just go pick a coffin right now and save you the heartache of trying to hold onto life." Try and beat any serious illness with that kind of attitude.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong at all with people trying anything that'll make them feel better if there's no hope elsewhere - but the NHS only has a finite amount of resources and I don't think quack medicine is the right place to be using them.

"I'm sorry Mrs Jones, we couldn't afford a new radiography machine to treat your cancer, we used the budget up paying the voodoo lady". ;)
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong at all with people trying anything that'll make them feel better if there's no hope elsewhere - but the NHS only has a finite amount of resources and I don't think quack medicine is the right place to be using them.

That's why you go with what works most often.

Which means the NHS should be handing out placebo's by the bucketful, because they always work. :p
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

and im not suggesting we do this do this either just so you know, i think many doctors are too willing to hand out pills for nothing however in some situations its necessery

if people believe too much in quack medicine you could have situation in nigeria, where families split their HIV retroviral drugs amongst their family instead of the person prescribed them, taking them solely which by the way makes the drugs 100% ineffective, and makes the virus far more dangerous and resistant to drugs

lets not forget the local 'witchdoctors' who tell them to have sex with a baby to cure them :mad: which actually happens a lot in a few parts of sub saharan africa
  • Options
    if people believe too much in quack medicine you could have situation in nigeria, where families split their HIV retroviral drugs amongst their family instead of the person prescribed them, taking them solely which by the way makes the drugs 100% ineffective, and makes the virus far more dangerous and resistant to drugs

Agreed. It's worth remembering that on occasion, today's quack medicine is tomorrow's accepted doctrine, and today's accepted doctrine is tomorrow's quackery.

Leeches anyone? Maybe some mercury in your shoes? How about a full frontal lobotomy for your hallucinations? How about we seperate your two hemispheres with a commissurotomy to "fix" that schizophrenia?

And so on. Perhaps there should be a debate about what actually constitutes "quack" medicine. The stage hypnosis employed by the baptist screamers in the deep south of the US does actually "cure" some of those who get slapped on the forehead. Testify!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Agreed. It's worth remembering that on occasion, today's quack medicine is tomorrow's accepted doctrine, and today's accepted doctrine is tomorrow's quackery.

Leeches anyone? Maybe some mercury in your shoes? How about a full frontal lobotomy for your hallucinations? How about we seperate your two hemispheres with a commissurotomy to "fix" that schizophrenia?

And so on. Perhaps there should be a debate about what actually constitutes "quack" medicine. The stage hypnosis employed by the baptist screamers in the deep south of the US does actually "cure" some of those who get slapped on the forehead. Testify!

maggots are used by the NHS i know about, mainly because they do only eat dead tissue so can be used to do exactly that, but thats a proven clinical benefit

and i haven't denied some doctors act according to social mantra at the time, as can be seen in the field of psychiatry, which personally in my opinion is a load of quack most of the time, since most of their patients need to learn to deal with how they feel and accept that noone feels great and that there is only so much drugs can do, such as give a person dampened emotions (as anti-depressants do) so they can start to make some changes in their lifestyle and how they think to improve themselves since it is 'their' brain

strangely enough these people had 'pioneering' treatments liek the lobotomies gave fantastic research results in what parts of the brain control what functions :s very unethical doesnt equate to bad science and its a VERY fine line

show me someone who was cured by the way by those weird southern usa people :lol:
  • Options
    maggots are used by the NHS i know about, mainly because they do only eat dead tissue so can be used to do exactly that, but thats a proven clinical benefit

Yup. Exactly. Proven benefit.
    which personally in my opinion is a load of quack most of the time, since most of their patients need to learn to deal with how they feel and accept that noone feels great and that there is only so much drugs can do

Do you mean "no one feels great all the time"? :confused:
    strangely enough these people had 'pioneering' treatments liek the lobotomies gave fantastic research results in what parts of the brain control what functions :s very unethical doesnt equate to bad science and its a VERY fine line

Oh yeah, the objective appraisal of the disaster that was lead to some good things, but let's not make the mistake of saying that meant it was a good thing in itself. A lot of what happens in the brain is also the result of people surviving accidents as well.
    show me someone who was cured by the way by those weird southern usa people :lol:

What am I? Google?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

What am I? Google?

well i cant find any indepednantly verified claims!
  • Options
    Oh you won't do. :lol:

You won't find anything disproving them either.

You wouldn't get a peer review within a hundred fucking miles of a revivalist preachers tent, and it's not because it might not work either!

It's because the idea of investigating "quack" remedies is in itself laughable to a certain mindset. There are few genuinely open minds about the issue. On the one hand you have those who make their living out of it who are never going to admit it's all bullshit, for two main reasons -

1) Unconscious competence. Some people naturally have very good "cold reading" skills but mistake this for psychic ability. Some people are naturally hypnotic.

2) Those who know they are fraudsters don't like it when you go poking about their little discipline.

And in the established medical profession, it's all dismissed as quackery out of hand, with no further investigation needed.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh you won't do. :lol:

You won't find anything disproving them either.

You wouldn't get a peer review within a hundred fucking miles of a revivalist preachers tent, and it's not because it might not work either!

It's because the idea of investigating "quack" remedies is in itself laughable to a certain mindset. There are few genuinely open minds about the issue. On the one hand you have those who make their living out of it who are never going to admit it's all bullshit, for two main reasons -

1) Unconscious competence. Some people naturally have very good "cold reading" skills but mistake this for psychic ability. Some people are naturally hypnotic.

2) Those who know they are fraudsters don't like it when you go poking about their little discipline.

And in the established medical profession, it's all dismissed as quackery out of hand, with no further investigation needed.

www.quackwatch.com :lol:
  • Options
    Told you you wouldn't find anything objective.