Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

cleaning your contacts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just got one of these little devices, an electric lens cleaner - used my existing solution but I think it actually works really well .. I seem to be able to wear my contacts for longer without them bothering me, the device seems to do a really good job of cleaning them, better then simply letting them soak in over night.

Anyone else using something like this?

complete_rapidcare_p1.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no, but it looks good.
    That looks good. I used to use monthly disposable ones but they never seemed that clean even after I'd cleaned them so after a couple of weeks into the month they would sting and not give me very clear vision. Also they would always break before the end of the month and therefore I'd never get 30 days out of a pair, it was never more than about three weeks. Now I use daily disposable ones and glasses when I can't be bothered with lenses.
    they work like a mini washing machine for your lens - they do a good job of scrubbing the lens free of dirt, etc just using the friction of the liquid
    Where would i get one of these gizmos?
    I got mine from a London boots store it's called Rapid Care

Mine was on sale for £10.50p - half the normal price - no idea if this is throughout boots or just in that one store there was only one left in their reduced to clear section.

Quite a pricy little item but then I figured if it does a better job of cleaning and helps prevent even one future eye infection then it's worth it.

It says to be used with their own solutions but I'm sure you can use any after all they make a fortune on solutions, I always get mine from abroad where it's usually less then half the price it is here.

When you leave it running for a few minutes you see little bubble appearing and I'm sure the movement of all these bubbles across the lens helps clean it
    It is not expensive when you consider the overall cost of contact lenses and glasses in the first place!

Also if it helps prevent eye infections etc then it is worth it as DG said.
    think i may have to invest in one, i get my solution with my lenses so its not AMO stuff, cleaning them is a total pain in the arse too!
    Does it work with soft lenses? I don't find mine get dirty anyway tbh.
    Could get my dad one next christmas :chin:
    Lu_C wrote:
    Does it work with soft lenses? I don't find mine get dirty anyway tbh.
    Could get my dad one next christmas :chin:

Yes that's what I have soft lenses

It shakes the lenses side to side but very quickly and seems to shift off lots of tiny particles.

The instructions say a two minute run in the machine is like soaking it in overnight.

Although for a normal sale price of over £20 you'd expect it to come with batteries so you'll need some AAA ones but I had rechargables of those.

I think the difference in this machines compared to soaking over night only is the same difference as soaking your clothes in a bucket to remove stains compared to using a washing machine to shake the stains off.

The very first time I used it I noticed quite a few particles floating in the solution after cleaning, but since not seen as much - I guess because the lenses are cleaner

I think this device is also good for people who's eyes are sensitive to smokey places like nightclubs, seems to get out the little particles more.
    oooooohhh looks good. Is it on the boots website do you think?
    I bought one of those for the barginous price of £4.50! And you're right, they really do do a good job
    Naz wrote:
    I bought one of those for the barginous price of £4.50! And you're right, they really do do a good job

Where you get yours from?
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Where you get yours from?

I got mine from Boots as well, but it was quite a while ago. I think they changed the packaging and thats why they were all reduced.
    I can't even find it on their website!
    I use dailies :)
    My dad has had one similar since literally the begining 80's. He likes it...
    Naz wrote:

Well next time don't keep the good info to yourself. :blush:
    i dont how to make my own posts that way im invading tis one and ne who wud lik to pm me telling me how to make my own post tanxs. does any1 know if there is any contacts you can wear during watersports like surfing etc?
    lisalashe wrote:
    i dont how to make my own posts that way im invading tis one and ne who wud lik to pm me telling me how to make my own post tanxs. does any1 know if there is any contacts you can wear during watersports like surfing etc?

yeah there is contacts you can get you wear in your sleep

they must be hard cos they change the shape of your eye whilst you sleep and once you remove them your eye retain that shape for a day and can see normally and then you need to put them in again when you go to sleep - no idea what they are called though

got me interested now .. looked it up for you

http://www.ortho-k.net/

The practice of reshaping the cornea with rigid contact lenses is called orthokeratology. It may have originated in ancient China, where the nearsighted are said to have slept with sandbags or stones upon their eyelids. In modern times, the practice was first proposed in the early 1960s. At the time, some eye doctors were already prescribing teenagers the flattest contact lenses available; they hoped to keep the cornea from becoming too curved and halt the development of myopia. (Whether orthokeratology lenses can really do this has been the subject of considerable debate.)

In the early years, orthokeratology lenses could be worn only during the day. (The material used to make contact lenses did not allow enough oxygen to reach the cornea when the eyes were closed.) Doctors prescribed progressively flatter lenses until the cornea had reached its ideal shape. After that, the patient needed to put on a pair of "retainer" lenses every now and again to renew the effect. The procedure was inconvenient, unpredictable, and capable only of correcting relatively mild myopia.

The procedure has since improved. Overnight lenses can be made from new, more permeable materials. Using "overnight orthokeratology," Matsui can wear the lenses while he sleeps and take them out every morning. During the day, he can play baseball without worrying about losing a lens or having a limited field of view.

New manufacturing techniques have also made it possible to design a lens with "reverse geometry," in which the center is flat and the perimeter is curved, the opposite of regular lenses. This shape is supposed to produce better results, more quickly. Since 2002, the FDA has approved a number of these devices for overnight wear.

In general, modern orthokeratology has several advantages: It's cheaper than LASIK surgery, and the procedure is reversible. But doctors still disagree about how well orthokeratology works and what its dangers might be
    yeah there is contacts you can get you wear in your sleep

they must be hard cos they change the shape of your eye whilst you sleep and once you remove them your eye retain that shape for a day and can see normally and then you need to put them in again when you go to sleep - no idea what they are called though

in water sport the contacts can move out of place with the contacts not sure ones you can sleep in though lets you surf in them :chin:

tanx anyway geezer your a diamond :D sorry for the bad pun lol
    Naz wrote:
    Where did you get it for 4.50?
    i a bit thick when i read the webpage i got the full answer. tanxz diamond geezer