Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

capital punishment!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
following on from the thread about the guy who raped his unconsious and dying step daughter.. does anyone think we should reinstate capital punishment?

personally i think the punishment should fit the crime, rapists being castrated, violent crime rapaid with violence etc..

just interested to see other peoples views on this..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Legal in my state :p
    Its more expensive to kill than to let them sit in jail though and jail, to me, seems like a much worse punishment.
    You die or you suffer the rest of your life in humilation and pain. Depending on the crime.
    I'm not against it, I just can't see the satisfaction of killing them. It seems like the easy way out.
    I think you should both be killed!
    obviously each crime would need to be looked into as some all crimes have different reasonings and motives etc.. for example if somebody was tormented and tormented throughout their life until they finally snapped and killed someboyd i dont think they should eb given the death sentence, imo, the judge should be more lenient for these cases.
    Turlough - i take it you are against capital punishment then?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    For some crimes I say yes, for others no, and it depends on the severity, the person, etc...
    A much wiser man than I said that a civilised society is measured by how it treats its criminals, not its highest citizens.

I oppose capital punishment, or government-sanctioned murder as I see it, 100%. In my opinion, rational ethics would lead anyone to believe that since killing is wrong then it's wrong to kill. Of course, I know this is where the "eye for an eye"/lex talionis argument comes in...
    turlough wrote:
    I think you should both be killed!
    a master stroke!.........when you just cant be arsed....just go to sleep instead.
    briggi wrote:
    A much wiser man than I said that a society is measured by how it treats its criminals, not its highest citizens.

Aye. Wise men have said many things. Don't mean they are right!

Some people should be shot. Afterall, if they don't see anything wrong with what they done, what good does locking em up do, as you'll have to keep em locked up until they die? Pointless.
    But I agree with that assertion, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I don't agree that "some people should be shot", not by any stretch of the imagination, it hardly evens the score.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I think.
    briggi wrote:
    But I agree with that assertion, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I don't agree that "some people should be shot", not by any stretch of the imagination, it hardly evens the score.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I think.

WE shalll... but it isn't meant in any way, to "even the score".
    a bullet costs nothing.......technology is such now,mistakes should not happen..........but i say"kill the fucker!"
    James Connolly was tied down on a chair because he had gangerine on his leg and was already dying then shot by the firing squad. A very bad death indeed.
    turlough wrote:
    James Connolly was tied down on a chair because he had gangerine on his leg and was already dying then shot by the firing squad. A very bad death indeed.
    what was his crime?
    icey wrote:
    following on from the thread about the guy who raped his unconsious and dying step daughter.. does anyone think we should reinstate capital punishment?

personally i think the punishment should fit the crime, rapists being castrated, violent crime rapaid with violence etc..

just interested to see other peoples views on this..

I'm against capital punishment - I think if we are going to tell members of the public it's wrong to kill someone then we should set an example and show the same thing inthe justice system and just use life in prison - however if a person who was sentence to life wanted to commit suicide rather then spend the rest of their days in jail now that might be an interesting debate if this should be allowed?? :chin:
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    what was his crime?

He was an Irish Republican. Fought against the British Empire in 1916.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Connolly_%28nationalist%29

"Following the surrender he was executed by the British for his role, although he was so badly injured in the fighting that he was unable to stand for his execution, and was therefore shot in a chair. He was survived by his wife and numerous children."
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    that guy who raped his daughter etc; he should be shot in the foot every few days or so, just for shits and giggles.
    For me, it would depend on the crime. For example, I think that Peter Sutcliffe should be put to death. It would also depend on whether it was an accident or whether it was on purpose.
    It's a bit difficult to compensate someone for being wrongly imprisoned after they've been executed.

Maybe if the justice system was less fallible.
    hm i dunno about capital punishment....i don't really care either way if it comes back or not
    rapists should be castrated though
    If capital punishment is brought back, aren't the state/government, etc saying that it's alright for them to kill, but it's wrong for everyone else to kill?
    Sofie wrote:
    If capital punishment is brought back, aren't the state/government, etc saying that it's alright for them to kill, but it's wrong for everyone else to kill?

Not exactly.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Capital punishment helps no-one, in my opinion.
    Mist wrote:
    It's a bit difficult to compensate someone for being wrongly imprisoned after they've been executed.

Maybe if the justice system was less fallible.

what he said...

it's not worth killing innocents through an unreliable justice system just to put the bad ones out of their misery...

it's not like 20 years in prison is gonna be fun
    ok..well to all the people who have argued against it, take this (made up)example into account:
    there is a multi-millionaire gets caught in the act of raping a child by two policemen. now the evidence is clearly there, theres no chance of the verdict being wrong and the crime is obviously unforgivable. In todays current system, this monster would be put in prison, probably given a cushy cell with a lot of luxuries such as a tv, decent meals, privacy etc. because those with money are generally more powerful than those without. should this pervert not face a more satisfactory punishment to actually pay for his crime? the victim cannot take back the memories and pain caused but they surely would be able to find a bit of solstace in the fact that the criminal received a fitting justice, no?
    icey wrote:
    ok..well to all the people who have argued against it, take this (made up)example into account:
    there is a multi-millionaire gets caught in the act of raping a child by two policemen. now the evidence is clearly there, theres no chance of the verdict being wrong and the crime is obviously unforgivable. In todays current system, this monster would be put in prison, probably given a cushy cell with a lot of luxuries such as a tv, decent meals, privacy etc. because those with money are generally more powerful than those without. should this pervert not face a more satisfactory punishment to actually pay for his crime? the victim cannot take back the memories and pain caused but they surely would be able to find a bit of solstace in the fact that the criminal received a fitting justice, no?

dont the paedo's get a hard time in prison?

you can't make exceptions like that... just stick him in prison for life... if hes rich then its definately gonna be a step down from what he has at home.
    Second of all, why is there this view of 'rapists should be castrated'? I have never understood it. Should thieves have their hands chopped off? Does it make their victims feel any better? It's purely a sop to gang mentality, to appease their lynch mob emotions. It isn't society that has been injured, it's a person. Society deserves no revenge.

QFT.
    Capital punishment is revenge.

Revenge is wha massages the ego.

The ego is exactly what society should not be governed by.

Just my opinion.
    First of all this should be in P&D.

Second of all, why is there this view of 'rapists should be castrated'? I have never understood it. Should thieves have their hands chopped off? Does it make their victims feel any better? It's purely a sop to gang mentality, to appease their lynch mob emotions. It isn't society that has been injured, it's a person. Society deserves no revenge.

Yep just like in Saudi Arabia! Seriously though, I can see where you're coming from. Rapists are just seen as thee ultimate scum like.

Moonrat...revenge is good sometimes!
    No. You haven't got a clue. I'm not trying to denigrate your opinion, but please go and research things a bit. Starting with these cushy cells, and what 'victims' really think.
    Admittedly, im gaining this information from tabloids so yes, there probably are a lot of false statements that have been made regarding the state of some prisoners living accomadations (im thinking of the coverage on ian huntley). but that doesnt make them all false. Unless theres somebody here who is loaded and has gone to prison or works in one, i highly doubt we will know truely how prisoners are treated.
    Looking at a time when capital punishment was still around (1950's - its not that long ago) and the rate of crimes commited then against the rate of crimes commited today i'd say the system worked better then than it does now!