Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Colour defiency

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A brief explanation before i start you let you understand.

When i was in primary school i had trouble defining certain colours from each other. They used to give me those Ishihara tests, the booklets with patterns of coloured dots within those dots some symbol or number. I never did well with them i couldnt see very much if anything at all.

Ok so after leaving primary school that was never ever tested again to the best of my recollection. As i grew up it wasnt a hinderence as such but it was mighty embarressing when it came to having to use colours or having someone ask me to pass a certain colour or whatever. Lots of different situations and each time I'd get confused and make up an excuse. As a kid you can imagine how embarressing it would be.

I grew up and it fell to the back of my mind. If i am totally honest i think subconsciously ive been keeping away from eve rneeding to ask people or mention this if i ever got stuck. I put it to one side of my mind and tried my best to get on with it.

Last week however whilst at work a customer asked me for a pink shirt, I saw it as white and it took a while to get the right one but it made me realise that it's never gone away and now i'm confused about it as well as being really embarressed and annoyed about it. I know it might not sound stupid but i feel stupid about it and never bring it up. I don't even think anyone outside my family knows i have this " colour defiency ".

I've been researching online for the last half hour. I found some on-line ishihara test and did what i consider really bad with them. I will mention it the next tiem i visit the doctor but in the meantime i wanted to ask does anyone else here suffer from colour deficency? What if anything did a doctor do about it? Is there anything a doctor CAN do about it? Perhaps a moderator could provide me with some useful information.

Just as a matter of interest anyone who reads this please look at the following :

Color25.jpg
Color29.jpg
Color45.jpg
Color56.jpg
Color6.jpg
Color8.jpg

What number do you see in each picture?

The answers are Here.

I can't see anything in numbers 3,5,6.

I know without seeing a doctor i cant be sure of anything, only a doctor can diagnose this again properly.

This bothers me quite a bit tbh. Colour's are a part of everday life. Hell i work with colours so it bothers me a lot never mind quite a bit. I had just put it out of my mind for so long and now it's come back. I had thought maybe it had gotten better but it clearly has not.

Not really sure why i'm posting this. I thinki could just use some advice really.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry I can't really offer any help, hopefully someone here will be able to. I found the 5th one the hardest to work out, but I did get them all right. When I was younger I had a friend who had to wear glasses that had a coloured lense, but as i was only about 9 I can't remember why this was.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully someone here will beable to help you out.
    My other half is slightly colour blind, he cant do those tests with the dots either. So you arent alone ;)
    Sounds like you're colour blind. Here's some info from the BBC.
    I've just found some information, very basic, but it mention a special type of contact that you can get.

click
    Just find a site about contacts or glasses you can get to help

click