Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Eurocrats say: Stop using miles

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    In other countries they simply banned all traffic for 6 hours, from midnight until 6 am. So on the big day you'd go to bed driving on the left and wake up the following morning and drove on the right.

Must have been fun... :D
    Miles are fine as they are. If people coming from Europe don't like it, tough. I don't like going there and having to use kilometers!
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not sure that's the case though. Metric is widely used everywhere, and even many Commonwealth countries that still retain Imperial have adopted Metric in some areas, particularly units of distance (i.e. kms.).

In any case it makes sense to eventually switch to more efficient and practical methods... it's just progress and evolution. If you watch Star Trek you will be aware that in the 24th century everyone including the Yanks use Metric :p

Ah, star trek, the 24th century, the future! Where there is no poverty, no disease and no one has to work for a living if they do not want to. But how did they get there...evolution...yes, if you count World War 3 and the Eugenics wars followed by all kinds of selective breeding etc as evolution. Man, Star Trek rocks...has anyone seen that blooper where there door doesn't open and kirk nearly knocks himself out?
    Aladdin wrote:
    In any case it makes sense to eventually switch to more efficient and practical methods... it's just progress and evolution. If you watch Star Trek you will be aware that in the 24th century everyone including the Yanks use Metric :p

thats because startrek is communist propaganda!
    seriously i have to read maps in kilometres, cause reading them in miles just doesnt make sense

pounds and ounces are a moronic and hard to use system, they only reason people can get their heads around it, is if that is what they were taught from birth

the metric system is well set out, easy to understand and use, and doesnt have the need for someone to get a calculator out, everytime you have to change between pounds and ounces
    Stargalaxy wrote:
    The sooner we're out of this basket case union, the better...

and for what reasons exactly, i think leaving the union would do more harm than good
    minimi38 wrote:
    thats because startrek is communist propaganda!
    Oh yes... a future where money and material greed have been eradicated. Must be your idea of Hell! :D
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not sure that's the case though. Metric is widely used everywhere, and even many Commonwealth countries that still retain Imperial have adopted Metric in some areas, particularly units of distance (i.e. kms.).

But according to Star Trek shouldn't we also have had a nuclear war by now? :thumb:

If we want to get rid of miles (and I don't) it should be up to us though, not Brussels.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    In other countries they simply banned all traffic for 6 hours, from midnight until 6 am. So on the big day you'd go to bed driving on the left and wake up the following morning and drove on the right.

Must have been fun... :D

Allo Allo sketch with the British Airmen on the bikes... it reminded me of that!