Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eurocrats say: Stop using miles

We're largely using the metric system nowadays in Britain. But still some imperial measures remain in very common usage. The pint of milk, for instance, or a pint of beer if you prefer liquor. Or travel. We travel in miles - well, for now. For yet again, Brussels is sticking its interfering head above the parapet.

< Details >

The mere fact that this is being backed by Neil Kinnock is enough to any sane person to convince them this idea is wrong. Why on earth would anyone agree with a balding failure of a politician? He's failed at national level, he's failed at European level. Did he deal with the endemic corruption of the EU? Nope. The whistleblower who told the truth about it was soon sacked by Kinnock's department. I've never met anyone who thinks he's anything other than an annoying twat.

As for the proposal, as always, I tell Brussels to get its tanks off our lawns. We use the mile in Britain, and we're proud of it. Brussels and its interfering ways can fuck off. Why should we change something that's been popular for hundreds of years simply to appease that lot?

The sooner we're out of this basket case union, the better...

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont see what the fuss is about. Youre just reciting daily mail esque politics again.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I dont see what the fuss is about.
    Must I spell these things out all the time? The mile is a popular unit in this country. It works well. Any changeover could be disastrous and horrendously expensive. There are better things to spend money on. Aren't there hospitals having to close wards because of debt? Given a choice between spending the money on the NHS or on placating Brussels, I know which I'd opt for any time. I love the NHS and detest the EU.
  • Options
    Neil Kinnock truly is a complete waste of space. The Department of Transport were right in instantly evaluating this metric fantasy as a complete waste of public money.

Most people in Britain – and almost everybody that drives, for the opinion of those that don’t drive is irrelevant would oppose changing mph on our roads to kmh. And likewise no normal person wants to get rid of pints of milk and beer.

I find it amusing and slightly disturbing that a UK Metric Association exists to try and abolish use of pints and mph. Even funnier and more worrying though is that there are people sad and pathetic enough to join it...

Next there’ll be a call for us to start driving on the wrong side of the road to bring us into line with Europe...(naively assuming there isn’t already)
  • Options
    America uses Miles and Pints too. They went or rather tried Metric briefly, it didnt take so now they are back using Imperial. Ironic for a nation that for for its independence from Imperialism.
  • Options
    I find it amusing and slightly disturbing that a UK Metric Association exists to try and abolish use of pints and mph. Even funnier and more worrying though is that there are people sad and pathetic enough to join it. Next there’ll be a call for us to start driving on the wrong side of the road to bring us into line with Europe...(naively assuming there isn’t already)
    Let's not forget here that the UK Metric Association also supported Brussels' attempts to make sure traders could only trade in kilos. What is it about that place? Why must everyone have the same measurements, the same currency? Whatever was wrong with diversity, live and let live?
  • Options
    At my family business everything sold is labelled in Pounds and Ounces with smaller Kilo labels underneath. Frankly, not s sole who bought from us understood the kilos at all because they were so used to the measurements they had used all their lives.
  • Options
    the mile is a practical unit of distance

if they had to put km in small values underneath the miles value so visitors can get an idea, it might help
  • Options
    the mile is a practical unit of distance
    if they had to put km in small values underneath the miles value so visitors can get an idea, it might help
    That would just confuse UK nationals, i.e. those who live here and use the roads regularly. And it would cost a small fortune to update signs.
  • Options
    it doesn't bother me. I use both (though I admit I have an advantage, having been exposed to both systems extensively).

Ultimately it makes more sense for everyone to use the same measurements. It will happen eventually I guess... Forcing it on people however is perhaps counterproductive.

On the other hand, a country's identity and heritage should be far more than measuring sytems. Britain will still be the same and will have the same rich identity and history if it went 100% metric.

The metric system is a far more logical one, and far more precise- hence it beinig used in most trades and fields. For everyday measurements however miles, feet and inches are okay.

Weights do my head in far worse. A more illogical system than ounces, pounds and stones there has never been.
  • Options
    In my view its all part of the greater plan to eradicate the individual nation states by divesting them of any semblance of individuality in terms of currency, customs, etc. This is all being carried out step by careful step until we are totally submerged within the EU and are mere units of production & consumption within this mighty monolith. "I am a person not a number" - to quote Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner - only its too late our freedoms are being taken from us, and frighteningly, no-one seems to care!
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:
    In my view its all part of the greater plan to eradicate the individual nation states by divesting them of any semblance of individuality in terms of currency, customs, etc. This is all being carried out step by careful step until we are totally submerged within the EU and are mere units of production & consumption within this mighty monolith. "I am a person not a number" - to quote Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner - only its too late our freedoms are being taken from us, and frighteningly, no-one seems to care!
    who needs brussels when we have westminster taking it all away?
  • Options
    I drive. miles are silly. american pints are a different measure than british pints. If it wasn't a waste of money, I would say swith to metric.
  • Options
    As long as I can still have a pint, they can do what the fuck they want. It's just easier to say.

A mile is a measurement of distance, not something to be proud of.
  • Options
    Not everyone uses metric, though. Europe does sure...but America, Canada, all former British Empire anc commonwealth colonies, im pretty sure don't although some are bound to. I don't think Japan or China do, do they? Surely Metric is the minority unit so why aren't Europe switching to Imperial...unless they think it is too British for them.

haha, irony or is it? oooohhoooo
  • Options
    As long as I can still have a pint, they can do what the fuck they want. It's just easier to say.
    "A glass with approximately 568ml of beer please" doesn't sound right, does it?
  • Options
    **Double post for some reason, I do apologise**
  • Options
    It's also what you're brought up with and its not easy to change. If someone says somewhere is two miles away I can visualise how far that it is. if someone says two kilometers I have to change it into miles (about one and half miles I think).
  • Options
    Centigrade is a much better measurment that fahrenheit, which I dont understand.
    Scence is all done in meters and kilo's etc so thats certainly what should be taught in school. Theres no real reason to change signes from miles to kilometers its very expensive and most people prefer miles
  • Options
    This is much like the idea of the Queens head on our notes, does it really matter that much?

Is English identity so fragile that we would all start speaking French and eat frogs legs if we had the Euro and drove in kilometers?
  • Options
    personally i like using miles. km confuses me, but hay i know i confuse easy anyway. It will happen one day anyway, but if they do it they should do it slowly. Maybe update the major motorways (M25, M1, M6 etc...) first so it shows both Miles and km. then the smaller ones. and carry on like that.
  • Options
    I don't mind cos in France we use km, so more used to it than miles.
    Also I don't want them to stop using it if they don't want to.

Don't really care, also seems logical as I think a majority of countries use km.
  • Options
    A mile is a measurement of distance, not something to be proud of.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Not everyone uses metric, though. Europe does sure...but America, Canada, all former British Empire anc commonwealth colonies, im pretty sure don't although some are bound to. I don't think Japan or China do, do they? Surely Metric is the minority unit so why aren't Europe switching to Imperial...unless they think it is too British for them.
    I'm not sure that's the case though. Metric is widely used everywhere, and even many Commonwealth countries that still retain Imperial have adopted Metric in some areas, particularly units of distance (i.e. kms.).

In any case it makes sense to eventually switch to more efficient and practical methods... it's just progress and evolution. If you watch Star Trek you will be aware that in the 24th century everyone including the Yanks use Metric :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Spot on.

yes its a measurement of distance we can visualise

why should we change it to what some other people want though?
    if they put kilometres in pritn on the signs as welli wouldnt give a toss but changing it all the kilomtres is an ultimately pointless exercise
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not sure that's the case though. Metric is widely used everywhere, and even many Commonwealth countries that still retain Imperial have adopted Metric in some areas, particularly units of distance (i.e. kms.).

In any case it makes sense to eventually switch to more efficient and practical methods... it's just progress and evolution. If you watch Star Trek you will be aware that in the 24th century everyone including the Yanks use Metric :p

metric is useful, but not for car journeys strangely imo

you use the units which are practical for the situation, i do it in chemistry all the time with inverted centimetres :p which are in noway an SI
  • Options
    that sounds like that old april fools' day joke about britain switching over to driving on the right, but making the switch gradually...

We cant gradually swap to driving on the other side of the road, that would mean we'd all drive in the middle for a while.
  • Options
    imo it shows more that if we were to divert power to the european parliament, more pointless causes would be fought whens theres far more pressing matters (much like US congress i must add)

i simply ask you

why do we have to get rid of miles? you dont 'need' to understand what makes up a mile, most people in england tend to instinctively know what kind of distance, and if you you dont its 1.6km
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    "A glass with approximately 568ml of beer please" doesn't sound right, does it?

That's a bit of a mouthful to say.