Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Accommodation in Manchester

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just my offer from Manchester University and been sent an accommodation booklet to look at and to send off my preferences. But I have no idea where is nice.

What halls are the nicest? and which areas are the best? Any places you would recommend or tell me to steer clear of?

I'll be in the medicine building (stopford building I think its called) so being close to there would obviously be a bonus.

Thanks in advance :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    heres a nice place to live; not manchester

seriously though i have no idea, i think Girl_Gunner lives in uni accomodation in manc, though im not sure
    MrG wrote:
    heres a nice place to live; not manchester

seriously though i have no idea, i think Girl_Gunner lives in uni accomodation in manc, though im not sure
    eejit

manchester is fab you'll really enjoy it! a big city with great shops and nightlife :D

i'm not a student there so i've got no clue as to where you should live.
    Well I'm from Wigan, I virtually live in Manchester so know everything about the city, its more about which halls to apply for in which I'm lost.
    There muse be some people who are at Manchester Uni......
    Yeah, maybe send Girl_gunner a PM, she's in [very city-central] Uni halls and from what she's said it's all good. :thumb:

Otherwise, maybe try a forum like this where pretty much everyone's a student and a good proportion of those are panicking students-to-be who I'm sure will have done their research!
    Thanks, good website:D:D
    Oh yeh me me! I actually go to man met but yeh tis the all the same accom-wise. I live in private halls just opposite the bbc off oxford road, but as man uni halls go the only ones i really know are whitworth park which i thought were grand. cheap bar, good location, lots happening, flats were nice enough. im going to visit my man uni friends tomoro so i will get the goss, theyre biologists in the second year so will know the ins and outs. oh and another website ta-da :D
    I've heard such contrasting opinions on whitwork park. I was looking at it originally until people swore it was as bad as owens park with rowdiness, fire alarms going off etc. so I really don't know what to think. And yet others have made it sound like the ritz. I'm totally lost, I think I'll go up to the accom. open day in a couple of weeks and have a look around:)

ETA: oh yeah, and thanks for the links, they're very helpful:)
    whitworth park is ok, i lived in the StudentVillage for a bit which is just off oxford road too, it was ok, pretty basic tho, was a private hall, i went to salford uni in fact and was good to meet people from other uni's and stuff, i have a mate staying there now and they were decorated this year and look pretty sweet
    I live opposite student village..my halls are nicer :p (New Medlock), private halls are good tho :Dum I asked my friends and they lived in Hulme Hall which they said was pretty good although avoid being catered like the plague!