Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

am i a dork if i don't have sex?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    You don't think that having sex is a very real and natural instinct?

It is. What's your point, caller?
    people who abstain from sex simply because casual sex is 'immoral' are fools. Too worried about what others think.

So if someone doesn't subscribe to your personal morality they're a "fool" are they?

How nice.

If someone doesn't want to have sex, it's a choice for them, and them alone. Just as it is if someone does want to have sex.

Personally I'm glad I didn't wait, but that was my choice. It doesn't make the man who chose the opposite "backward".

Sex doesn't have to be about love, but that doesn't denigrate the opinion of those who do think that.

Given the glamourisation of sex in this culture, I'd actually suggest that those who don't have sex are probably less suseptible to outside pressures than those who hop into bed with the first bloke who says they've got a nice bum. But hey ho.
  • Options

Hrmm I wonder what you're agreeing on here.

So what exactly 'fucked' me up?

Look... I didn't even need to make this post, you're not fucking stupid.

Thinking outside the box does not make you 'fucked up' or 'insecure'.

I don't know anything about your background so I can't - and didn't - comment about you personally.

Thinking outside the box has got nothing to do with issue anyway. That Johann Hari article isn't something i'd base my views on either. It's hardly a scholarly work. So relationship dynamics worked differently back then, big deal, it doesn't preclude the existence of 'romantic' relationships between man, woman or whoever.
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    It is. What's your point, caller?

What reasons would you give to fight that instinct? Where do those reasons come from? What are they based on?

Simply if you feel urge why not?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Even if you have no 'higher' motive when having sex than to fullfill a sexual urge, there is also the issue of trust. When you have sex with someone you are entrusting them with your body, with your survival. Therefore, to abstain from sex until you achieve this level of trust with someone is as much a 'natural' action as having sex.
  • Options
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Even if you have no 'higher' motive when having sex than to fullfill a sexual urge, there is also the issue of trust. When you have sex with someone you are entrusting them with your body, with your survival. Therefore, to abstain from sex until you achieve this level of trust with someone is as much a 'natural' action as having sex.

I can have great sex with somebody I don't trust, even somebody I don't like?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Thinking outside the box has got nothing to do with issue anyway. That Johann Hari article isn't something i'd base my views on either. It's hardly a scholarly work. So relationship dynamics worked differently back then, big deal, it doesn't preclude the existence of 'romantic' relationships between man, woman or whoever.
    I disagree... I think that monogomous romantic relationships are a social construct, but that's just my belief. Maybe we need it to stop us from over-populating the world or something... You know the Tibetans before the Chinese invasion practiced polygamy.

As for the article... Hari is a respected journalist.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Well I havn't aimed any of my posts at you, so where you've got the notion that I have is a mystery to me.

Spliffie and Turlough did- and not for the first time, either- which I suspect is the confusion.
    What reasons would you give to fight that instinct? Where do those reasons come from? What are they based on?

Part of being human is having the mental capacity to resist animalistic urges if they are not beneficial. And some people don't think lots of sexual partners is beneficial.

I couldn't care less what people do so long as they're safe and happy. I don't see what gives you, Spliffie and Turlough the right to condemn that decision, any more than moralistic people have the right to condemn the promiscuous.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I can have great sex with somebody I don't trust,

No you can't. When you have sex with someone, you are by the very act entrusting that person with your body.
    Skive wrote:
    even somebody I don't like?

Why yes, I can do this too. Woohoo for hate fucks.
  • Options
    Shit... Skive I appologise mate, I did get confused.

I know it's a shit excuse but I do tend to have a bit of difficulty reading. I am sincerely sorry. I'm gonna go back and delete all my previous posts 'k?
  • Options

As for the article... Hari is a respected journalist.

So? Sartre was a respected philosopher but still wrote bollocks. Status and "respect" mean fuck all. Johann Hari's intellect is hardly towering, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Really?

You don't think that having sex is a very real and natural instinct? Yes there maybe people with low sex drives and that's nothing but unfortunate, but people who abstain from sex simply because casual sex is 'immoral' are fools. Too worried about what others think.

If you have the urge take it. Why not?
    Cause many people prefer to subordinate sex to other things, be it love, faithfulness, health, religious beliefs, autonomy, family, (and yes, morals too), etc. there can be many many reasons. Of course sex is a natural and pleasurable act, like eating is, but we subordinate those urges to greater ends, to things that are more important to us in the long run. Like love or a family for instance, if you want these things to work you can't go shagging about everyone you fancy, cause that's very likely going to ruin it. We make compromises in life, we subordinate some needs to others. Nobody's said that sex is a bad thing in itself, of course everyone likes sex, it's just that they prefer to subordinate it to other things- and that's a totally valid choice, it doesn't make them fools or anything of the sort.
    people who abstain from sex simply because casual sex is 'immoral' are fools.
    No, they just have morals which are different from yours.
    Too worried about what others think.
    What about worried about what they think for themselves?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    No you can't. When you have sex with someone, you are by the very act entrusting that person with your body.

Even though you don't trust them not to run off with your wallet?

Strange logic.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    So? Sartre was a respected philosopher but still wrote bollocks. Status and "respect" mean fuck all. Johann Hari's intellect is hardly towering, that's for sure.
    So name a good journalist?

There's a difference between philosophers and journalists.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Spliffie and Turlough did- and not for the first time, either- which I suspect is the confusion.

I get included because...
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh goodness, drugs are good mmkay

Kermit wrote:
    Part of being human is having the mental capacity to resist animalistic urges if they are not beneficial. And some people don't think lots of sexual partners is beneficial.

Nobody mentioned 'lots of sexual partners'????
    Kermit wrote:
    I couldn't care less what people do so long as they're safe and happy. I don't see what gives you, Spliffie and Turlough the right to condemn that decision, any more than moralistic people have the right to condemn the promiscuous.

I havn't condemned anybody???

My opinion is that you shouldn't hold back on simple human urges simply because your worried what others/god may think.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I do tend to have a bit of difficulty reading.

understandable. I don't have any known probs with reading (just speling and pronouncing stoopid words), and I had to double check a few times which views were from the skive/spliffie/turlough camp because they seemed to be coming from similar angles...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    understandable. I don't have any known probs with reading (just speling and pronouncing stoopid words), and I had to double check a few times which views were from the skive/spliffie/turlough camp because they seemed to be coming from similar angles...
    Yeah and the pics are similar... Still a shit excuse. Guess I was just quite angry at the personal attack... I mean it's just wrong.
  • Options
    Yeah and the pics are similar... Still a shit excuse. Guess I was just quite angry at the personal attack... I mean it's just wrong.
    And you have all the right to be :yes:
  • Options
    Shit... Skive I appologise mate, I did get confused.

I know it's a shit excuse but I do tend to have a bit of difficulty reading. I am sincerely sorry. I'm gonna go back and delete all my previous posts 'k?

I understantd mate. Soundo.
    I just want you to know that for me this is a discussion rather than personal argument. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I understantd mate. Soundo.
    I just want you to know that for me this is a discussion rather than personal argument. :thumb:
    Yeah yeah... Maybe the mod would be a darling and take down the arguing bits.
  • Options
    Yeah yeah... Maybe the mod would be a darling and take down the arguing bits.

My part in it is gone. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So name a good journalist?

No idea. I wouldn't recommend anyone I can think of who is primarily a journalist.

It's exactly the same principle though. Even more so with journalists whose work usually receives little if any critical analysis.

That Hari article lacks even an attempt at providing co-ordinated evidence to back up his view. He even hints at its lack of validity at the bottom.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    That Hari article lacks even an attempt at providing co-ordinated evidence to back up his view. He even hints at its lack of validity at the bottom.
    No he doesn't... he admits to looking too deeply in to it, to 'intellectualising' it too much, not to lacking validity.
  • Options
    No he doesn't... he admits to looking too deeply in to it, to 'intellectualising' it too much, not to lacking validity.

Depends what he means by over-intellectualising.

Regarding the greeks, didn't they have two separate notions of love, eros (lust) & egape (spiritual/romantic)?

And did the ideas of chivalry etc not develop in the medieval world? Was man's "honour" not based on the notion of "spiritual union" with woman? What about Shakespeare? Was Romeo & Juliet not written considerably earlier than the explosion of Victorian romantic literature? And did people really suddenly start devoting their lives to 'love' (men included) because a load of soppy novels were being churned out by middle class women?

It's also important to keep in mind that throughout much of history marriage often wasn't of someone's independent choice. It was forced. This can account for any historically-documented lack of romance as a founding part of marriage.
  • Options
    I think that the concept of marriage first appeared when the first humans settled in one place (timbuctoo) where they would exchange gifts to show their devotion. Coincidentally this also coincided with the first emergence of women as second class citizens in some cultures. :impissed:

Love sonnets etc have been around for millenia. The greeks were famous for them. Homosapiens have always mated for life. It is the best way for the offspring to survive. However like swans, squirrels etc. it was common for a mating pair to 'split'. This ususally meant the death of any small children, as one lone parent rarely took care of the child. In fact, correct me if im wrong, but I think that the children were often killed by further potential mates - someone elses offspring - survival of the fittest and all that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you don't want to have sex yet, then that again is your body, your mind, your choice. I find the view that people who don't want to have sex are "backward" in their social development- a view stated by Turlough and Spliffie before now- deeply disturbing.

Erm I only said it once and it was clear I was joking when I said people who didn't were "freakish"

Can you please point out something what I said that's wrong. Just wondering.

Ya know Kermit, you can be a know-it-all prick sometimes. :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I know what you mean, I so feel your pain.

Your daddy left home, so you will never trust a man again. It's all his fault. You only want equality for women because your daddy didn't love you.

FEMINISM IS A MENTAL ILLNESS.

See you're talking sense now.
  • Options
    I disagree... I think that monogomous romantic relationships are a social construct, but that's just my belief

How can that be true?

It's quite clear that some people do fall in love and stay together till they die and have no urges to cheat. Just because you haven't experienced it yourself doesn't mean it can't happen.
  • Options
    The animal kingdom is full of examples where pairs mate for life.
    Weekender Offender