Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Guantanamo film actors detained at aiport coming back from film festival

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1714282,00.html

It certainly gives a new meaning to the word irony doesn't it... :rolleyes:

And look at this:
In a statement, Rizwan Ahmed said police swore at him and asked if he had become an actor to further the Islamic cause. He said he was at first denied access to a lawyer and was questioned about his views on the Iraq war by a policewoman. "She asked me whether I intended to do more documentary films, specifically more political ones like The Road to Guantánamo. She asked 'Did you become an actor mainly to do films like this, to publicise the struggles of Muslims?'"

Mr Ahmed alleged that he had a telephone wrestled from his hand as he tried to contact a lawyer and was later abused. He claimed that one police officer had called him a "fucker".

We're closer to a totalitarian police state than never before.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw this yesterday. Its absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    I don’t suppose it’s at all possible that the producers are exaggerating a few bog standard security questions to garner a little free publicity for their film? These allegations could well be true but I think it’s a little premature to decry Britain as a ‘totalitarian police state’ when these claims remain unsubstantiated and we don't know the full facts. Do we know why they were stopped? Do we know what they were doing to give reason for suspicion? It doesn't seem so, at least not from any of the reporting of this.
  • Options
    Perhaps they were detained because they looked like Muzzies (which clearly means "terrorists" in our fine police force's mind).

The alternative (and by the sound of it more probable cause) is actually far worse: that they were targeted because they had chosen to work in a film that told the story of British citizens illegally captured, imprisoned and tortured for 2 years by a foreign power, with our own government unwilling to do anything about it until the very end.
  • Options
    A spokeswoman for Bedfordshire police, which patrols Luton airport, said that none of the six men had been arrested. "The police officers wanted to ask them some questions under the counter-terrorism act," she said. "All were released within the hour. Part of the counter-terrorism act allows us to stop and examine people if something happens that might be suspicious."

Suspicious, in this case means critersising the government and not being white.
    Do you think if Ian McKellen had worked on the film they would have questioned him, would they have even stopped the others if he'd been with them ?
  • Options
    Now, I have no idea whether the treatment they recieved is in any way true, but I think its kind of unlikely that the coppers were so well versed in small left wing documentary films that they recognised them as makers of one onGitmo or else coppers are a lot better eduicated than I thought.

Also am I the only one who finds it suspicious that a copper would refer to the 'struggles of Muslims' which sounds like something a lefty filmaker would say rather than a copper

ETA - that I should speak on the phone and post at the same time, because my grammar is awful.
  • Options
    O.K. we all know where this thread is headed (it's headed the same place most do) so I'll just get the ball rolling before I leave for school.

ISREAL!

...you're welcome.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps they were detained because they looked like Muzzies (which clearly means "terrorists" in our fine police force's mind).

At train stations and airports the police are more likely to stop young men of Middle Eastern/Pakistani ethnicity than elderly women. That’s quite controversial I understand and it’s not something anyone is comfortable with. On the other hand when I’ve been to Israel I’ve been glad that I went El-Al who use those kind of procedures.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The alternative (and by the sound of it more probable cause) is actually far worse: that they were targeted because they had chosen to work in a film that told the story of British citizens illegally captured, imprisoned and tortured for 2 years by a foreign power, with our own government unwilling to do anything about it until the very end.

Do you really believe that? I think that’s pretty far-fetched and I’ve not seen any evidence of such sinister motives.
    Suspicious, in this case means critersising the government and not being white.
    Do you think if Ian McKellen had worked on the film they would have questioned him, would they have even stopped the others if he'd been with them

There’s not really any proof that suggests that they were stopped because of the film they’d worked on. It is far more plausible that the police initially stopped them for security reasons, like most people knowing nothing about their little film and then during questioning the details about the film emerged and the police made a few silly remarks and asked a few stupid questions. Then released in under an hour, the producers realised what an excellent publicity stunt this could be giving some useful free advertising and furthering their agenda of Britain being a nasty anti-Muslim country. Seems as likely as Aladdin’s interpretation – without further details however I don’t think anyone here knows the fully story.
  • Options
    O.K. we all know where this thread is headed (it's headed the same place most do) so I'll just get the ball rolling before I leave for school.

ISREAL!

...you're welcome.

:lol: I'm tempted to remove my ref now to El-Al. Hmm, I'll leave it. Makes a change to beat Clan in bringing it up.
  • Options
    :lol: I'm tempted to remove my ref now to El-Al. Hmm, I'll leave it. Makes a change to beat Clan in bringing it up.
    Eh, I think it was a fair example. But in case anyone missed it....

"yes I told you all so, I totally called that shit! Stick with the kid baby!"
    :yippe:

;) off to school.
  • Options
    off to school.

Enjoy.. We get Wednesday afternoons off :yippe:
  • Options
    Enjoy.. We get Wednesday afternoons off :yippe:

Aren't you supposed to be doing sports or helping old ladies or something instead? :D

Youth today :)
  • Options
    Do you really believe that? I think that’s pretty far-fetched and I’ve not seen any evidence of such sinister motives.
    At the moment it's their word against that of the old bill (has the police denied that these people were asked those questions by the way?- the statement Iknowyourmum has posted did not deny it took place). Whilst I accept it is possible they made it up to get some free publicity, it is also possible the police did detain them for being who they were and/or harrassed them when their identities became clear.

I was going to say 10 years ago I could have never entertained the idea of such thing happening but in Blair's Britain all is possible, but come to think of it such things could and probably did happen under the likes of Thatcher too. If not to Muslims certainly to people of Irish origin.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Aren't you supposed to be doing sports or helping old ladies or something instead? :D

Youth today :)

Games is optional in Sixth Form :p And we do the voluntary work thing in lower Sixth so in Upper Sixth we can chill. Oh except there's A-levels in the summer.. :eek2:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    At the moment it's their word against that of the old bill (has the police denied that these people were asked those questions by the way?- the statement Iknowyourmum has posted did not deny it took place). Whilst I accept it is possible they made it up to get some free publicity, it is also possible the police did detain them for being who they were and/or harrassed them when their identities became clear.

Although as NQA says it seems a little unlikely that police officers patrolling Luton airport will be well informed about independent left wing documentary films – and well informed enough presumably to recognise the actors. Hence I think your theory is only plausible really if they were told by some senior source to stop them – and I don’t really see any sound reason. (Not that the police always need one admittedly but I just think it’s a lot more likely that they were stopped for some other security reason or something and the film thing was coincidental).

Perfectly plausible if you ask me.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

ISREAL!

...you're welcome.

You saved Cland all the work, you kind hearted soul.!
  • Options
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How about they got stopped because they looked like evil Al Qaida terrorists, and they got all the stick they claimed they got when they explained who they were and what film they had made?

Perfectly plausible if you ask me.

Could be. I don’t know. That would make more sense than your original theory that the police targeted them purely because of the film they were in.

However, since thousands of people of Middle Eastern or Pakistani appearance (guessing that’s what you meant by looking like a terrorist) come into our airports each day – the vast bulk not being stopped I’d think the police must have had more than their appearance to go on. I don’t know what and I don’t know how airport security works but perhaps a few entirely innocent things together set off a trigger and the police realised they'd made a mistake.

Or perhaps it’s just a few inexperienced police officers on the ground being a bit arsey over nothing? Equally plausible imo which certainly doesn’t translate into Britain being on the brink of a totalitarian police state.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You saved Cland all the work, you kind hearted soul.!
    I do my best. :yes:
  • Options
    :thumb:
    have I ever told you that I really like your user title? It's awsome.
  • Options
    Didn't surprise me at all.