Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cassettes!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've just been clearing out a load of rubbish, and found tonnes of my old cassettes. :D It was like a proper trip down memory lane! I found such classics as...

A+ - Enjoy Yourself
Marvin & Tamara - Groove Machine
Honeyz - We Won't Take It Lying Down

(I worry about my past music tastes...) But anyway, it's set me off on a huge downloading spree!!

Has anyone kept any of their old cassettes?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only ones I remember owning is All Sanits 'All Sanits' and ones with children stories on them, by the time I started to buy music cd had came out. A few years ago I lost my All Sanits one and spent ages looking for the Cd but I could never find it when I looked, but a couple of moths ago I was in town with my boyfriend and we found it in a second cd/video shop and he brought it for me.

Edit: It was strange as until I was about 10 I would just borrow tapes from my older brother who was 16 at the time. I think I had a few Now tapes as well which I got for Christmas, not sure where they are, most likely in with my brothers huge collection of tapes. I wonder if my All Saints one is there now I think about it.
    Yes, i have them all..

Bon Jovi, Wet wet wet, Elton john.. (I didn't have very 'cool' music taste as a kid either.. :p) I've even still got some of my REALLY old story ones, nursey rhymes, and learning french!

I got other stuff on tape too, some shows i've taped from the radio, Interviews.. Steve penk.. And some i've nicked from my parents collection like Thin lizzy and Led zep.

I still listen to some of them on occasion..
    Steve Penk is on my local radio station these days, Key 103fm Manchester...!

I used to record loads of shit off the radio - although I can't find any of that. We used to make radio stations and stuf hahaha, how sad?!

I found all my Wet Wet Wet albums and Kylie albums on cassette. Classic.
    My favourite favourite one when i was little got played so much that the tape ran out, i was devastated!
    (Timmy Mallet Itsy Bitsy tenny weeny bikin thing if you're wondering ;p)
    But when i was old enough to go shopping and buy my own music i normally bought cd's cause i was cool :thumb:
    It's weird, my first CD was D:ream - Volume One. The shame...! Before that I always bought tapes - and I bought quite a few tapes afterwards.
    Ive still got 'Spice' the album on cassette somewhere
    I've got LOADS!!! of cassettes in my bedroom- one day I'll get around to digitisin them.

OP: how come you bought honeyz on cassette, cheapskate? I've got that single on CD- they'd been out for ages!
    I didn't keep any as I've moved too much but I do remember what was in out tape collection

Hanson
    Dead Eye Dick
    Michael Jackson (pretty much every one, records of him too)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've got over a thousand cassettes - almost entirely live recordings of raves - dating from about 92 through to present day.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive wrote:
    I've got over a thousand cassettes - almost entirely live recordings of raves - dating from about 92 through to present day.
    Copy them man, you could probably sell a collection of bootleg live's on Ebay.. for like, loads.

I have quite a few, for my old kick-arse portable radio. Mainly Anthrax cd's copied to it.
    ive got shit loads of tape too, mostly hardcore or drum n bass from 95-present day. Also have a lot of chart stuff on tape as well such as oasis, fugees, mark morisson...
    katralla wrote:
    OP: how come you bought honeyz on cassette, cheapskate? I've got that single on CD- they'd been out for ages!

You're admitting to having such shit songs in your collection too?!! ;)

Nah, I had a personal tape player back in the day, so I used to buy tapes to listen to. I think. Or maybe I was just a deprived child...!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Copy them man, you could probably sell a collection of bootleg live's on Ebay.. for like, loads.

I have quite a few, for my old kick-arse portable radio. Mainly Anthrax cd's copied to it.

They're only worth any money as the original tape packs, and I want to keep the originals. Anyway, I still buy tape packs off Ebay from time to time.

They're not that expensive.
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fstype=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=tazzmania+tape&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&a15964=-24&a10244=-24&gcs=1092&pfid=1375&reqtype=1&pfmode=1&alist=a15964%2Ca10244%2Ca15965%2Ca3801&pf_query=tazzmania+tape&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=
    Weekender Offender 
    I still have this 5ive cassette that I bought on the boat from a school trip to France. I didn't have enough sterling so I scrimped and borrowed all my french money and begged for it.
    I have slightly better taste in music now... :blush:
    I had LOADS of cassettes and albums on vinyl till recently. gave the vinyl all to my stepdad as he still plays records. Tapes are mainly in the shed of the old house, so probably in a skip now. Ive still got a few tapes that I play here, but theyre annoying mainly, although dont get scratched as easily as cds or records.
    Nothing wrong with tapes, I still largely use tapes, my ten quid walkman does me nicely, though I do get sneered at by people who have Ipods.
    i wouldnt, id think it was cool and retro!
    i wouldnt, id think it was cool and retro!

The one annoying thing is that you have to turn the tape over manually, I get the impression I'm seen as a luddite, not that I care.
    id likethis to go with it

or this one
    id likethis to go with it

or this one

Pretty :p
    i have b*witched 'c'est la vie' somewhere! :razz:
    bongbudda wrote:
    Nothing wrong with tapes, I still largely use tapes, my ten quid walkman does me nicely, though I do get sneered at by people who have Ipods.
    Move with the times dude! 1GB players can be bought for as little as £40, and 512 MB players for around £25 or less. Or if you have SD cards for cameras, etc, then you can get cheap players that use them for £15 or less.

I love my MP3 player. Use it far more often than I ever used to use my portable CD player, or cassette walkman.

Back to the topic - I have a dozen or so tapes in the glovebox of my car as the car is old and only has a cassette radio, and I've got a couple of dozen lurking around in a box at my parents.
    I don't think it's so much a case of kept them, more a case of haven't been arsed to get around to chucking them out. :)
    A+ - Enjoy Yourself is a tune
    rss3000 wrote:
    A+ - Enjoy Yourself is a tune

Yes, yes it is. :D