Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Condoms and spermicide.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I know there are condoms with spermicide included, but ive heard these tend to be hardly beneficial, if at all.

What I would like to know is, if i was to use a separate spermicide, how effective against pregnancy would this be if a condom split? Is it worthwhile, and if yes, whats the best way to apply it?

Also, its not really praqctical for my girlfriend to go on the pill, we're only going to have the chance to have sex every few weeks at most (probably less) for a while, so what other contraceptives are there that would be practical?

Comments

• Options
    If shes on the pill it could help with her periods too, so at least then she's protected against pregnancy. However, she's not protected against stis and neither are you. With the condoms, if used correctly then there shouldn't be any hassle. I doubt using seperate spermicide would increase the effectiveness significantly, if at all, and so wouldn't bother. If the condom splits, then seek emergency contraception.

Other forms of contraception you will be able to find information about on this site and on the internet, but off the top of my head you could consider the contraceptive jab (injection) that doesnt have to be taken so frequently, IUD (but thats recommended really if shes had kids before which I assume she hasn't), etc.

Condoms + the pill are firm favourites though.
  • Options
    ok thanks, neither of our parents know or approve about it (we're both 16) so that may be difficult. I'd just rather not be anxious and worrying after every time we do it.
  • Options
    Are you like totally obsessed with knocking her up?

If you are i suggest you don't do it! And why is it not practical for her to go on the pill? I'd say thats the best option seeing as you seem to be having major anxiety problems.
  • Options
    the pill are firm favourites though.

How do you find your regular dose of synthetic hormone overdose?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    How do you find your regular dose of synthetic hormone overdose?
    which has been proven to reduce sex drive permanently, even after you stop taking it.
  • Options
    which has been proven to reduce sex drive permanently, even after you stop taking it.

really :eek2:

uh oh.
  • Options
    Our parent's are unaware and disapprove, so until they do she cant go on the pill. Yeah I'm not really happy without the extra protection the pill gives so i doubt we will till shes on it.

If condoms are between 90 and 98% effective, taking the average to be 95%, thats 5 in a hundred that fail, or one in twenty :confused: surely thats not right, it seems a bit of a high failure rate. And when they say theyre effective 95% of the time when used properly, how do they fail? does that mean slipping or splitting, or are there other ways they can fail?
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    Our parent's are unaware and disapprove, so until they do she cant go on the pill. Yeah I'm not really happy without the extra protection the pill gives so i doubt we will till shes on it.

If condoms are between 90 and 98% effective, taking the average to be 95%, thats 5 in a hundred that fail, or one in twenty :confused: surely thats not right, it seems a bit of a high failure rate. And when they say theyre effective 95% of the time when used properly, how do they fail? does that mean slipping or splitting, or are there other ways they can fail?
    Thats 98% if used correctly - ie put on as soon as you get hard, taking it off as soon as youve come, making sure no spillages or breakages.

NO contraceptive is 100%. 98% is pretty much as good as youre gonna get, plus condoms protect against everything else too. Use a good quality extra safe condom. They may not feel as sensitive as the super-thin ones, but theyre far less likely to tear - plus the extra safe ones are the ones you can get free from most family planning clinics too. I have never known one to tear.
    Its good that youre being cautious, but if youre only having sex every few weeks, then condoms are a great and safe method of contraception. Try not to be paranoid, and just enjoy your time with your girl.
  • Options
    I'm not fussed about them being sensitive or not, its a small price to pay for extra safety, and they what i used the first and only time so i know no different. Yeah i was thinking that thats as good as youre likely to get, I'm just generally paranoid about stuff like this. Thanks ;)
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    The percentages actually refer to failure when used as a regular method of contraception for one year by a couple who are sexually active. So for example a 98% effective method would mean that if 100 couples use this method for one year in total there would be an average of two failures of the method.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Are you like totally obsessed with knocking her up?

If you are i suggest you don't do it! And why is it not practical for her to go on the pill? I'd say thats the best option seeing as you seem to be having major anxiety problems.
    I think he is just being sensibly cautious. I think it's really good that he is researching the different options available to him and his girlfriend.
  • Options
    The studies that linked the pill to reduced sex drive were done on women who were already being treated for sexual problems so I'd take them with a pinch of salt.
  • Options

The information on the web is all so vague and open to misinterpretation, as was our 'sex education' in school. This site is pretty good and the forums are great but there really should be better info handed out to everyone.

For example, I didnt know that about the percentages given for condom failure rate. Surely just saiyng theyre 99.99% effective on the packet is easier :confused: (which it works out to be i think) ? It also looks better for the makers. But ah well.

So to summarise, providing a condom doesnt split or slip, you're more or less definitely ok?
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    So to summarise, providing a condom doesnt split or slip, you're more or less definitely ok?
    Yes. Also, if you were to unfortunately experience the unlikely event of a condom splitting you could then look into emergency contraception such as the morning after pill.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for all your help, i feel much more reassured than after the hour or so trawling the internet in the early hours when I got paranoid :p
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    What I would like to know is, if i was to use a separate spermicide, how effective against pregnancy would this be if a condom split? Is it worthwhile, and if yes, whats the best way to apply it?
    As far as I know, using a spermicidal foam if a split occurs is the "right" way to do things, but I don't know how you would choose such a substance, or how you apply it, or even where I got the information from.
  • Options
    "Spermicides must be placed in the vagina before sexual intercourse... less than one hour before sex... not washed/douched for six hours afterwards"

from: http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/contraception/contraception_spermicide.html

seems like by themselves they're not particularly effective but as a safety net for use with condoms it seems wise.
  • Options
    ok it says spermicide has a 71% success rate when used alone, combine that with 98% from condoms and it seems pretty safe to me :) Ta.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    "Spermicides must be placed in the vagina before sexual intercourse... less than one hour before sex... not washed/douched for six hours afterwards"
    No, I'm definately remembering it as "in the event of a condom splitting, immediately use a spermicidal foam, and make arrangements to take the MAP"

In many circumstances it isn't appropriate to routinely use a spermicide.

But i failed to pay sufficient attention, because the chances of a condom splitting and me having to worry about pregnancy as a result are somewhat small
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I think he is just being sensibly cautious. I think it's really good that he is researching the different options available to him and his girlfriend.

Well theres sensibly cautious, then theres worrying unneccesarily.

I'm surprised he even knows where to stick what.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    In many circumstances it isn't appropriate to routinely use a spermicide.

But i failed to pay sufficient attention, because the chances of a condom splitting and me having to worry about pregnancy as a result are somewhat small

:lol:

I don't think they even mentioned spermicides during my sex education. If you use the sperm zapper afterwards though, isn't i even less likely to be effective as sperm may have already reached and passed the cervix?
  • Options
    Ok, sorry for being cautious, I'll not bother trying to find out next time, perhaps I could get my girlfriend pregnant because I got wrong information somewhere, then work to keep the kid instead of going onto further education, or better, just get state handouts?

I personally will not enjoy sex until I'm reassured that unwanted pregnancy is very unlikely to happen, and I bet a lot of people are the same. What is wrong with putting my mind at rest? I appreciate it may seem that I am worrying too much, but I dont see the harm in being extra-sure.
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    Ok, sorry for being cautious, I'll not bother trying to find out next time, perhaps I could get my girlfriend pregnant because I got wrong information somewhere, then work to keep the kid instead of going onto further education, or better, just get state handouts?

I personally will not enjoy sex until I'm reassured that unwanted pregnancy is very unlikely to happen, and I bet a lot of people are the same. What is wrong with putting my mind at rest? I appreciate it may seem that I am worrying too much, but I dont see the harm in being extra-sure.

Hehe i find it funny you saying that after you've banged her.
  • Options
    It's something that I in a way regret, with the worry its caused me, so I meant in future.
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    It's something that I in a way regret, with the worry its caused me, so I meant in future.

Well surely you should have done your research beforehand? :chin:

Anyway if it's causing this much stress you shouldnt be doing it. It's meant to be fun innit, ain't gonna be if your having a near on panic attack everytime you shag her!

Have you had a look at the info pages on The Site? Theres pretty much everything you need to know on there.
  • Options
    I did do research before, But being anxious sort of overtook that. We've sort of agreed not to till she's on the pill.
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    I did do research before, But being anxious sort of overtook that. We've sort of agreed not to till she's on the pill.

But you did it anyway? Even though you were a nervous wreck?

Children these days. Desperate to get their end away.
  • Options
    I wasn't a nervous wreck till a day or so after :p
  • Options
    shungho wrote:
    Vasectomy+condom+coil+hormone implants is probably your best bet.
  • Options
    Providing she's sterilised too that should be ok :chin: