Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

oldish/elder band's you've go into recently

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
mine is manic street preachers, as i picked up their greatest hits for a fiver the other week

if you tolerate this...... has such a disturbing tone you can associate to it's creepy

whats yours and how you hear them?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    mine is manic street preachers, as i picked up their greatest hits for a fiver the other week

if you tolerate this...... has such a disturbing tone you can associate to it's creepy

I love the Manics but I've been into them for years now but times than they have been around as they started when I was about 5 and I have only been a fan for since I was about 15. Saw them at Wembley a few years back when If you Tolerate This... had just come out they were awesome.

My favourite old Manics album is Gold Against The Soul by like a mile (the tracks on their greatest hits album that originally featured on Gold Against The Soul are From Despair To Where and La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh) so if you can find a cheap old CD of that its well worth it. In fact the greatest hits has so many good tracks on it you have made me want to play it right now!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    My favourite old Manics album is Gold Against The Soul by like a mile (the tracks on their greatest hits album that originally featured on Gold Against The Soul are From Despair To Where and La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh) so if you can find a cheap old CD of that its well worth it. In fact the greatest hits has so many good tracks on it you have made me want to play it right now!

Some good uns on that album, some toss too (Drug Drug Druggy). Holy Bible is the best album by a country mile, although it's not one that I play regularly. Generation Terrorists has some fantastic songs, Motorcycle Emptiness, Little Baby Nothing etc etc.

Back to the original topic. Mine is David Bowie - there was a Best of CD kicking around in the car so I gave it a listen. Awesome.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've always been into older music, 70's and 80's. Been listening to a lot of Bowie too, and T-Rex. Plus the legendary Dire Straits.
  • Options
    I love la tristesse durera, but i cant listen to too much manics stuff in a row, or it makes me want to kill myself.

Most of my music taste isnt that modern tbh.
  • Options
    Some good uns on that album, some toss too (Drug Drug Druggy). Holy Bible is the best album by a country mile, although it's not one that I play regularly. Generation Terrorists has some fantastic songs, Motorcycle Emptiness, Little Baby Nothing etc etc.
    The Holy Bible is the Manics most over-rated album in my opinion and contains far more toss than Gold Against The Soul. It's so fucking political for the sake of being political.

Generation Terrorists is good- I don't know what makes Motorcycle Emptiness so good but it just is although again there are one or two tracks I dislike.

Masses Against The Classes
    and Suicide is Painless (Theme from M*A*S*H) are great too. I have a really old cassette tape version of Suicide is Painless that I've listened to so many times that it's all kind of streched so it was a relief that they put that on the greatest hits as it isn't on any of there albums so finding a replacement copy would be an arse.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Wheresmy... but a manics appreciation thread is better anyway :p
  • Options
    Got into The Doors and The stone roses quite recently the same way.. heard material on the radio and was curious so when i saw albums in HMV for under a fiver i picked em up.

Never been into the manics :p
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    I've always been into older music, 70's and 80's. Been listening to a lot of Bowie too, and T-Rex. Plus the legendary Dire Straits.

dire straits have some amazing songs. have been getting into a bit of led zep recently too : o
  • Options
    I love dire straits and bowie
  • Options
    Bill haley, jerry Lee lewis, Batmobile...

old stuff i listen mainly to rockabilly and psychobilly...
  • Options
    Prince

:heart:
  • Options

Wow, the manics are really old. :p

I've been in to Chuck Berry recently, Bob Dylan and I do have a soft spot for Sinatra.
  • Options
    Oh, and not that old, but Tiffany... or well her only song.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    The Holy Bible is the Manics most over-rated album in my opinion and contains far more toss than Gold Against The Soul. It's so fucking political for the sake of being political.

I thought that was the point. And it's Richey's final album.
  • Options
    for me its Journey. i heard their song Dont stop beleiving on something and had to find it :D
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    for me its Journey. i heard their song Dont stop beleiving on something and had to find it :D

That is one hell of a tune, old karaoke staple of mine...good memories. :thumb:

I'm another one who has mostly "old" musical taste, but I've really been getting into Jimmy Cliff recently.
  • Options
    I've been listening to a lot of The Jam greatest hits recently.
  • Options
    I've found myself listening to The Stooges a lot recently. Occasionally listen to the Eagles, Dire Straights and the occasional 'Quo.
  • Options
    Showaddwaddy, Madness, Yellow Dog, 10cc, ELO, Darts, Ian Dury & The Bockheads
  • Options
    xtc
  • Options
    jethro tull.
  • Options
    My mum got me into The Smiths, and my stepdad got me into ABBA :p.