Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

User's Top 10

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This has been done before in various guises obviously. I was reading my local paper when I was at home and they have a weekly thing now where they print a reader's top ten. They're not in any particular order - just a top ten and a short comment about why it's on their list.

Thought I'd do one for myself. It took me a while and obviously they're so many songs which 'almost made the list' but I finally decided on this...

The Doors – The End : Simply beautiful.

Nine Inch Nails – Hurt : Johnny Cash's cover was good but NIN's original carries so much emotion and is very powerful, all about drug abuse. I can identify with it alot.

Bob Dylan – Blowin’ In The Wind : Dylan was a lyrical genius and this is probably him at his best.

The Beatles – Let It Be : Their best.

Nirvana – Lithium : I grew up listening to this. Brilliant.

Rage Against The Machine – Killing In The Name : Violent and rebellious. Perfect.

The Pixies – Where Is My Mind? : One of my favourite indie bands ever, they were pioneers, this song sums up my mindset alot of the time.

The Ramones – The KKK Took My Baby Away : The most influential punk rock band ever. This song is a real sing-a-long.

Radiohead – Creep : I wanted a Radiohead song in and was going to choose 'Karma Police' but opted for Creep. Musically not their best, but still brilliant.

Johnny Cash – Hung My Head : Fuck I didn't know what JC to put in because he had to be there, but this notched it.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Pearl Jam-Jeremy-Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Love it.

Jeff Buckley-So Real-Had to mention him and this is his best imo.

Nirvana-Territorial Pissings-Makes me wanna go nuts

Alice Deejay-Better off Alone-Reminds me off someone who died and my teenage disco days. Love it.

Oasis-Live Forever-Just brilliant.

System F-Out of the Blue-Reminds me off taking pills in my mates shed and doing all nighters. Definately one of the best times of my life.

Metallica-Fade to black Love this song. Good riff and good solo.

The Doors-Break on Through another one that makes me wanna go nuts.

Foo Fighters-Everlong This song just rocks in general!

Led Zeppelin-Stairway to Heaven Best rock song ever made.

It changes all the time though.
  • Options
    This is a bit difficult, since they change all the time, but at the moment:

Tom Waits - Martha: My favourite Tom Waits song by far, evocative and real.

Neil Young - Harvest Moon: I'm there when I listen to it.

Counting Crows - Mr Jones: A bit cliched but the second I hear it, it takes me back to a very happy time.

Bob Dylan - Love Minus Zero/No Limit: Best love song, ever.

Kris Kristofferson - Me and Bobby McGee: I much prefer this to the far more popular Janis Joplin cover, it makes me feel very lonely but in a good way. You can't argue with, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, Nothing ain't nothing but it's free..".

Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road: Makes me feel young and very old at the same time, which I suppose is the sentiment of the song. It's a good memory.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer is so sweet and melodic whilst also being really sad. It has the added bonus (for me) of being the first song I ever mastered on the guitar. :D

Dusty Springfield - I Only Want to be with You: it's almost "our song" for me and my mother. ;)

Credence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son: It just fucking rocks.

Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat: His most famous and, imo, best. A very powerful evocation of what it's like to lose your signifigant other to someone else.