Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

songs that should just NEVER be covered.

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
recently heard one of my favourite songs ever "the weakness in me" by Joan Armatrading, being covered by some stupid silly girl whos got a crappy normal popstarry voice with no feeling behind it. theyve added an irritating poppy beat to it too just to really piss me off. Ive heard it twice on the radio and every time its just pissed me off how someone can ruin a great song, and the sad thing is People will hear it, and think its her song :mad:
I felt the same when all saints covered "under the bridge" It just wasnt right - they shouldnt have done it - its an insult.

Rant over, anyone else agree how some songs are just so good, they should be left how they are, as a sign of respect if nothing else/

ETA the cover version is by a woman called keisha white, if anyone wants to compare the two.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh I know what you mean. Another brick in the wall was covered by Korn. I cried.
    Then I remember hearing some band cover Police Truck by DK. That was quite disturbing.

Why do people make such bad choices in life :(
    i was very annoyed when 'out of touch' was covered :mad: the original hall and oates version is sooo much better!!!
    i remember hearing the cover of it on the radio for the first time in the car with my sister and we were both annoyed!!

there are plenty of others as well but i cant think what!
    Brown Eyed Girl. Just to spite the cover bands full of 40 year old men in pullovers ,who play it every fucking weekend without fail.
    RBF did a great cover of Brown Eyed Girl, so we can't have that.

After hearing Avril Lavigne rape and torture Tears in Heaven, I don't think that should be covered ever again.
    Raz wrote:
    Brown Eyed Girl. Just to spite the cover bands full of 40 year old men in pullovers ,who play it every fucking weekend without fail.

Lagwagon also did an amazing cover of brown eyed girl... i think they did it justice..

i heard of cover of 'paint it black' (is it the rolling stones? : s) by the black dahlia murder the other day which rocked..

i think any song should be covered as it shows some respect to the original artists, as long as theyre gonna do it justice
    If you don't like the cover, why not just ignore it and listen to the original?
    Argh, has anyone heard Avril's Knockin' On Heaven's Door? That bitch has shaved at least a decade off my life.

Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You is hideous - it sounds like an Emergency Broadcast. Madonna's American Pie, Sheryl Crow's Sweet Child of Mine and Jessica Simpson and ex-hubby singing A Whole New World (no, really) are no better.

To be a bit positive about cover versions, Credence Clearwater Revival's I Put a Spell On You, it is my favourite cover ever. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes do an absolutely kick-arse Wild World (and all their various other fucking great covers), too.

I sincerely hope I never hear that version of The Weakness In Me. :(
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:

And Take On Me.
    Weekender Offender 
    scissor sisters should have never been allowed to cover Comfortably Numb. apparently though Gilmour and Waters have said they liked it. made me cringe when i heard it. i wanna listen to ani difranco's version tho
    I think it was KT Tunstall that covered Fake Plastic Trees on Radio 1 the other day. Did my head in how they were saying how great it was. I was like, "no...it's shit." If someone has to do Radiohead, thy should at least do Creep like every other fucker.

Does anyone remember Mike Flowers' Wonderwall?
    Does anyone remember Mike Flowers' Wonderwall?

Oh God yes...it was dreadful...he was really camp too.
    Don McLeans' American Pie covered by Madoonna, she should be hung for that pile of blasphemy!!!
    i'm in agreement on all the suggestions so far. especailly Madonnas cover of American Pie, Sheryl Crow's Sweet child of mine, and the All Saints version of Under the bridge.
    You can also and robbie willaims verions Of We Will Rock You, infact anyone doing a cover of ANY Queen song is just plain wrong. but even more so seeing it way robbie williams.

But i must say one cover that was great maybe even better than the orginal was Marilyn Mansons Tainted Love.
    I think covers can be good, only if they are sung in a completely different style. I actually don't mind comfortably numb by scissor sisters as it is done im a different style. Also I think soft cell tainted love is a decent cover.
    Who sang the original tears in heaven? i cant remember, im having a dud moment in my head!

Also, Some songs should be covered, if you have heard Mindy Smith's cover of Jolene you would see that was one hell of a cover!

Finally, i like the RHCP but All Saints under the bridge was still a GOOD rendition!

Unchained Melody should be covered...just NOT by Garath Gates.
    chico time.
    subject13 wrote:
    Who sang the original tears in heaven? i cant remember, im having a dud moment in my head!

Also, Some songs should be covered, if you have heard Mindy Smith's cover of Jolene you would see that was one hell of a cover!

Unchained Melody should be covered...just NOT by Garath Gates.

Eric Clapton sang the original Tears in Heaven, and wrote it about a massively personal tragedy/event which is why it usually jars a little with me when people cover it.

I don't like The White Stripes but their version of Jolene rocked my socks. I loved that they didn't change the gender, either. :lol: :thumb:

Oh, I'm of the belief that Unchained Melody should be consigned to the bin now. I doubt there'll ever be a good version of it, I haven't enjoyed one so far.
    Skive wrote:
    And Take On Me.

And Come On Eileen. Instructions which I followed closely.

I've never heard ANYONE do a decent Rage Against The Machine cover because no-one has a voice like Zach de la Rocha that I've ever heard.
    On the other hand, Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley is the best cover.
    Yesterday i heard Tina turner doing Hey Jude. That. Was scary.
    Lemar covering the Darkness 'I believe in a thing called love' was hilarious. Disclaimer - this doesn't mean that I like the Darkness :p
    anything by the pussycat dolls!
    Most songs done by boybands and other crap like that.
    Way to many to tell.
    briggi wrote:
    Madonna's American Pie, Sheryl Crow's Sweet Child of Mine . :(
    agreed
    Has anyone heard Mark Ronsons cover of Just by radiohead? Its actually very good, i like what he has done with it :)
    see, i was going to say will young - hey ya, but i think i actually quite like it..
    Kermit wrote:

After hearing Avril Lavigne rape and torture Tears in Heaven, I don't think that should be covered ever again.

avril lavigne's cover of greendays basket case, was at least amusing, though still rather painful
    subject13 wrote:
    Finally, i like the RHCP but All Saints under the bridge was still a GOOD rendition!

i thought it was alright, but it got ruined where they were singing in harmony, when on the RHCP origional, it would have been a single person singing it
    Avril Lavigne's cover of Metallica's Fuel at the MTV Icon awards in 2003 was gut wrenching. At said awards, Snoop Dog's cover was pretty funny (can't remember what song he did) and Sum 41 rattled off a few good songs but then again, they are surprisingly adept musicians for their chosen genre.
    snoop dog did sad but true i think.. it was funny but really shite... avril lavignes was just the latter, i agree