Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

paying off a store card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive just got my store card bill through and if im honest i havent got a clue how to pay it!! ive gone for the statment option so what do i do?

do i go into my bank and just say can i pay this please? or theyve sent an envelope with it so shall i send them a cheque or something?

sorry for being naive

Comments

• Options
    Setting up a direct debit would be an easy way of making sure you never miss a payment.

But a cheque will work fine, just allow lots of time for it to get there and for them to cash it.
  • Options
    direct debit is the best option
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    direct debit is the best option

Not having any debt at all on a store card is the best option, their interest rates are shocking.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Not having any debt at all on a store card is the best option, their interest rates are shocking.

True. I only use mine when it means I get some type of benefit (e.g. money off) with it, then pay it off at the till straight after.
  • Options
    Don't do direct debit, as these companies have a nice little habit of helping themselves to money early without permission if the payment date falls on a weekend or bank holiday.

Put a cheque in the post along with the remittance slip, or if you don't trust the post ring them up and ask them where you can process it, without being charged a fee. Some store cards even allow you to pay by debit card over the telephone.
  • Options
    It should show on the bill the different ways you can pay it anyway.
  • Options
    yeh normally says on the back how to pay.

generally you get a payment slip at the bottom with an envelope so you can send a cheque off. or you can take them into your bank.

i've got storecards with debenhams and topshop (both run by GE capital..boo!) and i like them 'cause you can pay them in store which for me is quicker and easier. i've also got a store card with USC but you can't pay them instore which annoys me.

but my fault, i shouldn't have them in the first place!

whatever you do, don't make a late payment 'cause you could get a fine. mine tend to be around £15-18. :grump:
  • Options
    I've got two cards - Topshop and Next. I used to pay them both each month over the phone with a debit card, but last month I set up Direct Debits with them both to pay off the minimum payment so at least that way I never miss a payment and get charged (did once - £15 from Topshop!) and then I'm still going to make extra payments with whatever money I've got left just before payday. Was paying about £20 a month off each, but I want to get them clear by July and probably close the accounts.
  • Options
    I don't even get how store cards work, is it like a credit card but only to buy things from that store sort of?
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I don't even get how store cards work, is it like a credit card but only to buy things from that store sort of?

Pretty much!

The only store card I have/have had is a John Lewis (and Waitrose) Partnership one which gets you vouchers if you spend any signifigant amount of money (I rarely do). You can pay it off online, which is what I do.

I think a lot of store card balances can be paid off at your bank, and sometimes instore. Easiest thing is probably a cheque though, sent with plenty of time for it to go through etc.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    :yes:

Ones like Dorothy Perkins you can use in other shops that are part of the same group like Burtons etc.

Store cards have ridiculously high interest rates though like the others have said.