Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

chip & pin query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This chip and pin malarkey – do you HAVE to know your pin everywhere now?

I know that the banks are saying that you do, but it was on the news that some shops and businesses are not prepared for it so … would they be breaking the law if they asked you to sign or is it not quite that serious?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know about the law but every shop I have been in and paid for stuff on my card I've had to give my pin.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If you have a chip and pin card but dont know your PIN then a company can now refuse the transaction. You can still sign if the company doesn't have the correct facilities or you do not have a chip and pin card.

You may find some more information at http://www.chipandpin.co.uk
    This chip and pin malarkey – do you HAVE to know your pin everywhere now? I know that the banks are saying that you do, but it was on the news that some shops and businesses are not prepared for it so … would they be breaking the law if they asked you to sign or is it not quite that serious?
    They wouldn't be breaking the law as such, no. However, if the transaction being made was fraudulent, the shop would be the ones who lose the money in either case. It's estimated about one in ten of all tills was not ready when the deadline passed, so it's signatures as usual for them until it is.
    Most shops will definitely be enforcing it now, as they've become liable for any card fraud as of the 14th. I'm not sure if it's breaking the law, so to speak, but they definitely lose out if there's a loss (whereas I assume before they could claim it back or something).

I think that's the big difference between their stance on it now, and the preceeding months when they've been willing to take a signature instead.
    if you dont know your pin at my works you have to pay by some other way and if you cant then we can refuse to serve you. were not being mean its just our tills just physically wont let us.
    Yeah we (asda) arent allowed to accept it either if you don't know your pin.
    So do they think this will make a big difference to the amount of fraud committed? I suppose all the online and telephone stuff will still go on won't it...
    So do they think this will make a big difference to the amount of fraud committed? I suppose all the online and telephone stuff will still go on won't it...

And of course you get the old biddies who when asked "Do you know your PIN" and are offered the keypad to input it go "Ooh yes dear, its 4352", which makes it easy to steal their cards and defraud them. I'm so glad I don't work in retail any more. They really used to annoy me.
    wouldn't you know your pin for using the atm anyway?

i work at tesco and we're not allowed to accept payment if you don't know your pin.

you can always pay by cheque.
    It's not a legal requirement for a shop to insist on chip and PIN transactions for enabled cards, but if they accept a signature and it later turns out the transaction was fraudulent then the shop is liable for the losses.

So most shops will insist on PIN, because they don't want to have to pay the bank's losses from fraudulent transactions.

Not all shops yet have PIN terminals, which means they are running a risk until they install them.

I don't think it will make fraud any less prevalent, and could actually make it worse, as obvious stolen cards won't be spotted- a 17-year-old lad with a card in the name of Mrs Ethel Jones, for instance.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    wouldn't you know your pin for using the atm anyway?

But do you use your credit card at an ATM machine? S'alright for switch but I bet a lot of people forget their credit card pin unless it is the same for their switch or used regularly.
    i was in M&S yesterday and they had a sign up saying if you dont have a chip and pin card they need full photographic evidence to go with the card you do have... and also, i thought the majority of shops did have chip and pin machines but out of the 5 i bought things in yesterday, only 1 did, the rest asked me to sign.
    Just recently been told by our manager that we aint allowed to accept signatures and that they have to know their pin as well.
    But do you use your credit card at an ATM machine? S'alright for switch but I bet a lot of people forget their credit card pin unless it is the same for their switch or used regularly.

Thats my problem-I only use my credit card either when there is a problem with my debit card, or the week before payday or something to tide me over, and I have real trouble remembering it. IO have to look it up before I go anywhere :p
    And of course you get the old biddies who when asked "Do you know your PIN" and are offered the keypad to input it go "Ooh yes dear, its 4352", which makes it easy to steal their cards and defraud them. I'm so glad I don't work in retail any more. They really used to annoy me.

yep i've had quite a few people do this!

so i started saying 'would you like to enter your pin number in please?' or something like that. otherwise i might get some smart arse responding with 'yes' when i say 'do you know your chip and pin'.
    Thats my problem-I only use my credit card either when there is a problem with my debit card, or the week before payday or something to tide me over, and I have real trouble remembering it. IO have to look it up before I go anywhere :p

why don't you get it changed to something you can remember?
    you need to know the pin to be able to go to the cashpoint to change it to something different! vicious circle!

ive ordered a new pin today as ive forgotten mine on my credit card, but it wont arrive for 3-4 working days and by then ill have been paid lol, never mind
    Just recently been told by our manager that we aint allowed to accept signatures and that they have to know their pin as well.

Sorry to drag this up again but this one REALLY annoyed me.

Shops and businesses have absolutely NO BUSINESS (not my words, words of a senior manager at HSBC) refusing completely to accept signatures.

Only if the card is a valid Chip and PIN card does any store have a right to refuse a signature. If the customer has had the card activated so that he/she can still sign because they a) have physical trouble with the PIN pad or b) have mental trouble with the PIN itself, the store has no grounds to decline the transaction on this basis. All stores SHOULD have been informing their customers with difficulties of this nature of the alternate option over the last year or so.

If the card is one of those that hasn't been converted (Amex still haven't converted their credit cards yet) then there are still no grounds to refuse a transaction because the customer has to sign.

There's still a lot of confusion about all this Chip and PIN issue - I was in Sainsburys the other day and one of the cashiers told me I had to know my PIN for my Amex card by Valentine's Day otherwise I wouldn't be served anymore. Then I told her it hadn't been given a PIN yet and she told me 'well you must find out, all cards have a PIN now, it's the law'. I tried to explain the facts to her but she continued to insist that she was right. I did actually write to the store manager suggesting they should train their staff properly - it didn't really bother me too much but my nan is old and very excitable - if she'd been told that instead of me she'd probably get into a terrible panic about it all and that's not really good for her at all.
    well yes, if they have a special sign card then they're obviously going to be allowed to sign for it.
    Yesssssss... but i've even heard some shops tell elderly people that they have to know their PIN, there is no other option. It's scary how little people actually know about the whole thing.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Yesssssss... but i've even heard some shops tell elderly people that they have to know their PIN, there is no other option. It's scary how little people actually know about the whole thing.

no.

if they have the option to sign with one of those special cards then they will be able to sign.
    Are you actually reading what i'm saying?

SOME shops are telling elderly customers who can't remember it that they HAVE to know their PIN and there is NO other option. SOME shops are NOT informing customers that they have the option of signing if they can't remember their PIN.

Oh, and another (slightly arsey) point - it's not a PIN number, it's a PIN, which stands for personal identification number - otherwise it'd be a personal identification number number...
    dr_carter wrote:
    Are you actually reading what i'm saying?

SOME shops are telling elderly customers who can't remember it that they HAVE to know their PIN and there is NO other option. SOME shops are NOT informing customers that they have the option of signing if they can't remember their PIN.

Oh, and another (slightly arsey) point - it's not a PIN number, it's a PIN, which stands for personal identification number - otherwise it'd be a personal identification number number...

yes i'm reading what you're saying unfortunately.

well if the person ordered a special card which enabled them to sign for items then they'd realise they can sign for it!

and if you don't have one of these cards then yes in most cases you can't sign for it.
    However, clearly if customers do have a difficulty in remembering their PIN they should be told about the alternative option, which some staff obviously know nothing about.
    dr_carter wrote:
    However, clearly if customers do have a difficulty in remembering their PIN they should be told about the alternative option, which some staff obviously know nothing about.

it's not down to checkout staff.

down to the bank.
    Rubbish.

The banks may rarely see some of these customers - and can hardly be expected to work out from a database of names which customers will have trouble remembering their PIN.

The checkout staff will see these people on a regular basis and SHOULD be advising them what to do. It makes it even worse that some checkout staff are visibly giving out incorrect information.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Rubbish.

The banks may rarely see some of these customers - and can hardly be expected to work out from a database of names which customers will have trouble remembering their PIN.

The checkout staff will see these people on a regular basis and SHOULD be advising them what to do. It makes it even worse that some checkout staff are visibly giving out incorrect information.

what on earth, you work in a shop do you?

yes if i served a customer who couldn't remember their pin number (i haven't done as of 14th feb) i would remind them that they can apply for a signing card but i haven't been asked to do so or given any information on this by my employers. therefore it is NOT my responsibility. i'm not a bank!!
    The guidelines from the Chip and PIN management office state that all stores should be in a capacity to advise customers on what to do if they've temporarily forgotten their PIN, physically have trouble remembering their PIN and have difficulty using the PIN pad.

It's not the bank's fault (or yours) if your personnel department has omitted to train you effectively.
    I would serve 10 customers an hour if i explained to every customer that came through the checkout the different options if they don't know thier pin.
    I don't think its my job to make sure they know all thier options, the bank get paid money for people using these cards, they should be the ones telling thier customers what to do.
    Any shop has every right to refuse any sale as it is a private business. In theory if a shop manager doesn't like the look of you, he has every right to ask you to leave the store as it is a private premises.
    Pensioners have to use a pin to access thier pensions at post offices. If they have to remember thier pin why shouldn't everyone else.
    Actually, a company is well within its rights to decline to accept your card if you do not know your PIN. Unless the card is not chip-enabled, or is one of the exempt cards such as for those with impaired vision, the company will be liable for the losses. They are given discretion to accept signatures, but it would be on their head if it was a stolen card.

Elderly and disabled people are entitled to request a non-chip enabled card from their bank, and shops will not be liable for fraud losses with these cards. But it's up to the bank to tell elderly and disabled people that they are entitled to use signature cards- not the shop.

Shop assistants should not be turning away cards that are not chip-enabled, and that is not correct procedure.

One other point: shops do not have to legally enforce chip and PIN at all. If I wanted to I could accept signatures- except I would be liable for fraud losses.