Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ebay, Paypal, and banks....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm confused as hell. I've never had this problem before.... well. If you can call it a problem.

On Saturday night, I won a pair of jeans for a tenner off Ebay. I paid pretty much as soon as I realised (Sunday morning). Paypal has it on their records I've given them £10.50, and the seller has recieved the money. Sorted. So I thought anyway...

I went onto my bank yesterday (online banking) and noticed the transation wasn't on my list.Figuring Paypal just hadn't taken the money yet, I didn't think to check my balances...

Usually, when a store/website hasn't taken the money, but my card knows I've spent it, my avalible balance is lower than my overall balance to account for it.

I've come on today, to check all the money I spent yesterday has gone through, and it has... and has even been taken from my account. But theres still no sign of the paypal transaction, and my two balances are both the same....

Has anyone else ever had this problem?? Or is it just going to cause me trouble (again) :)

[EDIT] To top it off, I have just had the jeans delivered. Hmm.

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry about it. It can take anything up to 7-10 days for the transaction to actually show on your statement :).
  • Options
    Hmmm.... stupid bank. It's never let me down before, if it does this week I might just have to burn it down :D
  • Options
    Don't say that! My sister had a fire last week ;). It was you, wasn't it! :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
  • Options
    Unless she lives in a bank then I doubt it :D.

I'm just confused, because normally if the transaction has happened, the balances are different... but they're identical... meaning it will still let me spend the money before it's gone out for the jeans....
  • Options
    So, use some self restraint and don't spend it :yes:. If it's still there in a few months then have some free beer :thumb:.
  • Options
    SELF RESTRAINT? Don't be so bloody stupid, I'm a teenage girl with money...

No, I'm more worried about my mobile bill going out and that taking the money... because I can't for the life of me remember how much the bill is....
  • Options
    Find the statement and ensure there is enough in the bank for both transactions then. Come on, be a man ;).
  • Options
    Come on, be a man ;).

I'm actually going to deliberately ignore that comment for your safety :)

I can't find the statements though... my bank account, mobile account and everything else to do with my money practically, is all online accounts... I lose paper forms, so this seemed easier.

Doing rough maths in my head though, I think I should have like 7 quid spare if they both go out. So thats OK :D I'm just confused why it is willing to let me spend the money. If it's still their next week I'm going shopping and my EMA can pay the bank charges
  • Options
    The bank will only deduct the money from your account when PayPal notify the bank that they have withdrawn the money from your card. Some retailers do this the next working days, some take a while longer.
  • Options
    Like Kermit said, you've got to bear in mind the money might not come out right away with any card payment. The bank should run a check instantly to check if you've got the available balance when you buy the item - but that doesn't always mean the money will be debited then. So check your balance before hand and err on the side of caution and keep a note of what you've spent until it appears on your balance.

If you have telephone banking they will have access to more information on what has been authorised from your account and be able to give you a definate answer on whether it's gone out - even if it isn't on your statement.