Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

need help regarding jobs.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi guys not sure if it should go here or law.

The girl i'm seeing has been working in animal care for the last 7.5yrs (the last 4yrs full time) at a Kennel & cattary, but shes always worked cash in hand and not listed as an employee since working full time, and not had anything from Inland Rev since before she finished part time.

The owners (husband and wife team) are really taking the piss with her, more and more. She's the only full time member of staff and only one there during the week. they are now saying that she can only have 10days holiday per year. there is a long list of things that they are taking the piss with (too long to go into).

She is looking for a new job, but this is the only one she has ever had. She also told me that when ever people have left, and have been asked for a referance they say that person has never worked there. She really worried that this will happen to her.

Apart from the day to day running of both kennel and cattery, she helps with breeding, birthing, grooming, and helping and preparing the dogs for shows.

Can anyone give me some advise for her?

Comments

• Options
    anyone?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Youngbull wrote:
    anyone?

Hi there,
    I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend's situation - unfortunately when you work cash in hand you pretty much lose all of your rights as it seems your girlfriend has discovered :( .

The thing is - your girlfriend is right, it's really unlikely that the employer will give her a reference, as since they are employing her illegally they will not want to bring attention to the company.

What she may be able to however, is to see if they would be prepared to give her a reference as if she was a volunteer. Then they wouldn't have to admit to any unfair play. unfortunately this option still wouldn't be above board, but it may be a way for her to get evidence of her experience.

I'm sorry there aren't more options - I hope she finds a new job soon!
  • Options
    Acas are probably the best people to contact re her current working situation. How come she has let it go on so long????
  • Options
    yeah i've suggested getting reference as a volunteer and talking to acas. also suggested her talking to the owner asking to putting her on the books for real.
  • Options
    Pop down to the local law centre or CAB.