Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

do you work with animals??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if so, whats your job, responsibilities, benefits, cash, promotion prospects, etc???
Sorry if im being cheeky, but im after some career advice from people in the careers im interested in (anything to do with animals really), and the internet sites on careers are generally crap!!!
Cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think blah does some animaly thing at uni so she might know?
    I'm studying a diploma in animal care at the mo cause i want to be a veterinary nurse.
    I have looked into all jobs involving animals through years of research and all of them (except for a vet) are low paid. If you want a job with high pay then i would seriously suggest not working with animals e.g. a vet nurse can earn anything from 8,000-15,000 and even as a head nurse unlikely to earn more than 18,000. They generally say that you do it for the love of the animals and not for the money which is how i feel.

Also, another point to mention is that a lot of jobs with animals are hard to get into because so many people compete for just one job. That is why i am studying animal care so that i have as much experience behind me as possible.
    Try writing to charities like RSPCA or PDSA and they provide booklets about working with animals-that is what i did.
    im currently studying animal behaviour. i understand about the wages, but obviously a persons gotta live.
    I sorta wonder why people do a degree to get a well paid job, when managers at tesco stores are on 35 grand a year!
    i think blah does some animaly thing at uni so she might know?

:yes:
    becky4131 wrote:
    I'm studying a diploma in animal care at the mo cause i want to be a veterinary nurse.

Just thought i'd add that you dont need a diploma to be a nurse, you can go straight into training on the job when you come out of school. The thing about vet nursing is its not what you know but who you know. There will be loads of vacancies advertised but 99.9% of the time, they have already found someone but have to advertise by law. (i know this because ive done voluntary work at my local vet surgery). It sucks but its true.

And about the pay, thats untrue about all animal work being low paid. It all depends on your qualifications and positions. Things like animal welfare officer and behavioural therapy are highly paid but require a degree.

Sugar mouse, there are lots of careers with animals, what particular sector are you interested in? Things like grooming are easy to get qualifications for and are well paid if you have your own business, but its also quite competitive.
    Training, behaviour and therapy are things that people will pay alot for, but also require alot more qualifications and experience. I plan on having my own business in problem dog behaviour and so far i have a national diploma and im in the final year of my degree. You cant really do this sort of thing without the qualifications, experience is not enough.

Vet nursing is a really rewarding career but as i said above, its SO competitive because everyone wants to do it! The pay is acceptible but wont make you rich. Training is on the job which means you dont have to be without money while learning.

Working in a kennels/cattery doesnt require any qualifications but you will need experience or else you wont be able to deal with the animals. Its not great pay either but its very physical and rewarding, especially if working in a rescue centre. I worked at a kennels for a few months and loved it but had to leave because i didnt like the other people there.

Another job i had was on a petting zoo. By far the best job ive ever had!! It was so much fun.

Another thing about working with animals is that its not just animals you need to be good with, but people too.

Then theres zoo's, I dont think you need any qualifications to work in a zoo/wildlife park but they will pick people with more qualifications/experience.

Theres laboratory science, which is excellent for hands on animal work but not good if you dont like the idea of it all. Its also very well paid. For this sort of career you would need at least a degree.

A career in welfare inspection is very rewarding but you have to be a strong person and not let your personal feelings take over. And you cant take your job home with you or you will just end up depressed, cos theres alot of fucked up people out there. The most well known position in this type of work is an RSPCA inspector, but theres other jobs at airports, or farming markets, and zoo's / slaughter houses / fur farms

cant think of anything else at the moment but might continue later ;)
    I know you don't need a diploma do do veterinary nursing as you can go into training at 17 providind you have a placement in certain vets. I could not find a placement so figured instead of wasting time i would study the diploma and gain some experience. It really has helped me a lot and i am glad i have done it now as it gives me more options if i decide to do another job with animals in the future.
    thanks for your detailed response. in answer to your questions, i want to work wirh animals, but ideally with people aswell. I dont mind where i work, outdoors or indoors. You mentioned about dog grooming and setting up your own business, but the thought of doing that really scares me - how easy is it to do??? Because i did think about going into dog training, but found the an accredditation is needed (which means me spending another 3 years at uni, which i desparately do not want to do!)

" Theres laboratory science, which is excellent for hands on animal work but not good if you dont like the idea of it all. Its also very well paid. For this sort of career you would need at least a degree. "

That sounds very interesting. i went on a trip to astra zenacka (spelling?) in cheshire and would be very interested in working in a place like that. Do you know of any other pharmacutical companies?

Thanx
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,

Have you thought about doing some voluntary work with animals? We've got some great information on our sister site www.do-it.org.uk about exactly that. Lookit Might be a great way to get experience.

:)
    Blah wrote:
    Sugar mouse, there are lots of careers with animals, what particular sector are you interested in? Things like grooming are easy to get qualifications for and are well paid if you have your own business, but its also quite competitive.

How easy is it to set up your own business??? it scares me the idea of having to set it all up+borrow money,etc, but i like the idea of working for myself and having no employees and being my own boss!!
    Blah wrote:
    Training, behaviour and therapy are things that people will pay alot for, but also require alot more qualifications and experience. I plan on having my own business in problem dog behaviour and so far i have a national diploma and im in the final year of my degree. You cant really do this sort of thing without the qualifications, experience is not enough.

I did think about going into animal behaviour councilling, or basic dog training, but apparently you need an accredditation, which means another 3 years in uni (which i will really dont want to do!)
    Blah wrote:
    Theres laboratory science, which is excellent for hands on animal work but not good if you dont like the idea of it all. Its also very well paid. For this sort of career you would need at least a degree.

Now this really interests me. Astra Zeneca and companies like this look really interesting! How do i find out if my degree is enough though, as id imagine for lab work you'de need a degree such as one in biochemistry?? Ive actually contacted their careers department in the past, but got told they couldnt give me individual advice :(
    I did my 2 weeks work experience as an Assistant Veterinary Nurse...
    I had a de-briefing at the end and she said she wouldn't hire me if I applied for a job there :lol::D

Ilora x
    helen - that link is brilliant, ive applied for 3 places already and i cant wait! hope to get my CV looking better!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :yippe: really hope you you get some cool placements.
    i work with animals,

i mean i work with really drunk people
    My girlfriend done a Animal Care course at college. and now works in a Kennel and cattery (but getting cash in hand as the women she works for is a bit on the dodgy side, so no benifits). She takes care of the day to day care of all the dogs and cats there. Feeding, matings, birthing, training, cleaning and grooming. She also works with the show dogs getting them ready for what every show their going to.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to work on a farm when I was a nipper, it wasn't very exciting. Cash was good, hours were bad. That's about it.
    Weekender Offender