Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How would I go about.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
.... complaining about one of my college lecturers?

Me and a friend have had it to ours wits end and beyond with the problems she causes in our Wednesday practical and want to make a formal complaint, and we have reason to believe that we would be backed up by the majority of our group, especially after today.

I would normally say to myself "Ah that's easy, go to the head of the department"...... but she IS Head of the Beauty department. We considered going to the head of Hair and Beauty, but since it's a seperate course, albeit similar, we're not sure if it would help. We went to ask our tutor imeediately after the lesson but she was gone, and tbh she's not been much help in that way in the past.... she's a bit dizzy.

Also, do you think It would be best to hand in a wrriten complaint, or voice our complaints first to see if anything is done about them (Bear in mind she's had 5 people in tears today from the way they've been treated and alot of people mighty pissed off, for reasons I would explain but I'm sure they'd bore you)

Any advice would be great.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go see the principle/headteacher?
    go see the principle/headteacher?

Thought about that, but I'm not sure if he'd be the first person in line to deal with it - he'd probably send me to the head of professional studies, then he would send me to someone else, and I could see it that I'm sent to Head of Beauty (who is the person I want to complain about). I suppose I could explain my reasons for not wanting to go to her to the others, but I'd rather not seem petty by slagging her off to every person, I want them to understand that we're serious about how put out we are.
    don't your college have a complaints procedure?
    don't your college have a complaints procedure?

Trying to find it on the college webshite now, but all I can find is how lecturers can complain about and prevent harassment from students!

[EDIT] Just found my student diary.... it gives me information on how to complain about the facilities and learning environment, bbut doesnt specifically mention staff.... we have to fill in a card and post it in a box.... is it me or does that seem to be geared towards minor issues, such as "The toilets are messy and broken in Tenterbanks" (I may fill a card in for that one!)
    It depends how serious the matter is. The headteacher, or if it's more serious than that, speak to your local education authority.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    speak to your local education authority.

Oooh no, not quite that serious.... *has this vision of me and my friend Cassie turning up at the council education buldings in uniforms, waving spatulas crying "WE'VE HAD IT"*

She just treats us like crap, tbh. She leaves the room while we're being assessed on PAYING members of the public, and we cant continue our treatments til she gets back... or we fail. But if we wait til she gets back we fail for going over on our timing. She was gone for up to THIRTY MINUTES today, leaving fifteen students unsupervised while completing waxing treatments. Some treatments only are allowed fifteen minutes, and we struggle with that timng as it is, it's hopeless.

She teaches completely different methods to our other lecturers... which is fine, but several of us have been failed on our work today (me included) because we've done it how we've been taught by the two others, instead her ways.

She is also rude and very cruel to us. My friend is a slightly larger sized girl, due to medical problems... so obviously swhe cannot help it. This lecturer has actually told her in front of all of us that she doesn't think she can be a beauty therapist and she shouldn't be on the course because she doesn't "look the part". I called it discrimination. Luckily, my friend didn't take it that seriously.

She's aso biased towards her own tutor group... when we were being assessed on our Make up unit, she failed one girl because the eyemake up colours were too bright in her opinion (the client had chosen them to match the outfit)

When I was a model for someone in her tutor group, the headband covered half of my forehead, so only half of it had foundation on, my two eyes didnt match and she used totally the wrong colour foundation. And that girl passed. [ETA] That's not the only comparision situation I can make btw, that's jsut my own personal experience, I know other girls have got their own comparisons too, I just don't want to speak for them

It's mainly the disappearing acts that annoy us because none of us know where shes gone and if there was some sort of accident or emergency then we'd be (pardon the language) completely fucked - none of us are qualified! {ETA] There's a disclaimer the clients sign that states that a lecturer will be present in the room at all times incase of such an emergency - so the college would be fucked as well!
    I'd still advise going to the Local Education Authority. If a complaint comes from there, it's likely to be dealt with more seriously. This teacher needs to be made an example of. We'll see if she's so keen to make fun of people when she's been suspended.
    Maybe. It just seems so extreme.... I'm more than prepared to complain, I want something done, but I don't want it to reflect badly on the rest of the teaching staff here....
    well how about the head of the actual college?

ah sorry just saw that's already been suggested but still think its worth a go at least they will be able to tell you what needs to be done even if they dont deal with it themselves
    Gavman wrote:
    at least they will be able to tell you what needs to be done even if they dont deal with it themselves

True, but I bet I'd have to go searching for him. *hmuph* I might ask my tutor tomorrow... but I'm not telling her any details. She'd go STRAIGHT to the lecturer I'm complaining about (they're very cliquey like that)
    well go to the headteacher then!

i did about a member of staff/department at the college i went to and he was excellent.
    Problem with that is I have no idea who he is! Ah, it's a vicious circle. I'll phone my friend in a bit I think... she's cleverer than me.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Organise a mass walkout. Worked for us at Uni, no-one was paying attention the problems we were having in the lecture, believe me they notice when ZERO out of 30 students turn up for a lecture....
    JsT wrote:
    Organise a mass walkout. Worked for us at Uni, no-one was paying attention the problems we were having in the lecture, believe me they notice when ZERO out of 30 students turn up for a lecture....

me and a friend did that at high school.... thing is, it was only supposed to be our Child Development class....

If I had the clippings from the newspapers (!) I'd show you. 560 pupils spent the afternoon on our school field... :blush:
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Problem with that is I have no idea who he is! Ah, it's a

what on earth?!!! you don't know who your headteacher/principle is?! :confused:
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Problem with that is I have no idea who he is! Ah, it's a

what on earth?!!! you don't know who your headteacher/principle is?! :confused:

Why would I? I doubt half of the students at our college would! I suppose if I looked in my diary it would tell me.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Why would I? I doubt half of the students at our college would! I suppose if I looked in my diary it would tell me.

what do you mean why would you know who your headteacher was?!

they're the HEAD of your college or where ever.

at my college the headteacher was known by everyone and he always said hello to people etc.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I remember college well, it was much the same for us. I saw the headmaster's face in the prospectus before joining, and about three times over two years at college. Obviously, some of them keep a lower profile than others.
    i never went to college but im guessing its more like uni than school... i knew the headteacher at school but dont really know the head or whatever he's called at my uni... but either way, i think i'd go to the head and complain. or at least go and talk to the head about complaints procedures etc.
    I found a clever girl in my class. She wants to complain because the same treacher is threatening to have her kicked off the course for her "lack of work and dedication". (The girl is already on "contract" for using her phone in class... :rolleyes:).

This is the same girl that singlehandly run the damn class while the lecturer disappeared yesterday and was actually noting down everyones results and times as well as doing her own responsiblities, and then later being made to do all the jobs which are usually shared between the fifteen of us. And she wasn't working hard enough.

She's suggested the woman who is in charge of her contract, as she is in charge of the lecturers. We're thinking that might be easier than trying to find our headmaster. (My college is like stargalaxys. Theres a picture in my student diary.... I've never seen him or heard anything from him... toher than the statement we have in our student diary. I'd think he only exists in there if i wasn't totally thick! ;))