Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Procrastination & Motivation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm in 3rd year of a 4 year course and I've got 2 big assignments coming up soon. Seems as uni has progressed I've become less motivated and more lazy, which is not good as it's become more important.

I procrastinate like fuck as well. I mean I'll do anything, like cleaning my whole fucking kitchen just to avoid sitting down and reading a journal or starting an essay.

My motivation is at an all time low I think and I need to tighten up. Has anyone been in similar situations and found a way to wise up. And how do you deal with procrastination?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ooooh yes, procrastination is the bane of all students :yes:

i'm really good at procrastination, especially when it comes down to revision for important exams! :(

the only way you can get over it is to remind yourself how useful a shit degree will be.

oh, making a timetable for yourself to follow might help
    Yes, and I just realised the irony in my post, as I'm procrastinating right now by writing a post about procrastination. Need to get started...
    I always procrastinate. I always end up panicking and doing my essays last minute!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The funny thing is though, the more work I have got, the more I procrastinate. Between now and the end of March I have 3 assignments and I just simply cannot motivate myself enough to do them :(
    I procrastinate a lot. It must happen to the majority of people.

Except for exams, I usually cannot motivate myself until a few days before, which is not the best of study techniques.

I usually think that I will fail the subject, fail the exam... Fail, and become unemployed and a loser who nobody likes. This might sound dramatic, but the thought of getting that lousy, stereotype job or not getting something because of your results really scares me!

It's human - everyone does it. Not everyone gets out of the trance though, and not everyone can make it.
    Im the queen of procrastination.

Ive been known to start an assignment the day that it is due, or start revision the day of an exam.

I reckon its just a personality trait, its not necessarily a bad thing but it is in the context of university. If you think about it, a person who leaves everything until the last minute has got to be quite spontaneous and adrenaline driven which are good things to be!

Unfortunatly that doesnt help with uni work.
    well, it's kinda good to hear I'm not the only one who does it :)
    everyone procrastinates but it gets to an extent where it really fucks you up ...

once you learn a certain 'way' then it becomes a serious problem... ie i procrastinate until past the deadlines :P used to do good in school and now im not exactly doing great at uni and motivation is next to 0 :/
    Yeah mate I know exactly how you feel. I did pretty well in my first year, but now when it counts towards the degree...I've been so lazy, and I've done shite.

I would probably suggest doing a little bit at a time, then having a break. I get out of the habit of sitting down and doing work, so I have to ween myself back onto it again. And reward yourself for doing work, like say "I'll do a page then I can watch telly for an hour" or whatever. Even if you do a tiny bit, it gets easier. Or at least it does for me anyway!
    gah same old sotry here!

I really have n omotivation, I mean I have only been to about 6 lectures last semester and leave all my c/w to a few days before deadline :|

I really wish i wasnt like this cause its not good!!!
    hmmm...i should be in a lecture right now...
    maybe there's a point where its no longer a bit of procrastination, and is actually a problem? i JUST CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO DO ANY WORK. although to be honest I cant bring myself to do anything else either, I just want to lie in bed all day. meh.
    im in exactly the same situation, but im like it because i dont like the course, im just not enjoying it and I find it very difficult because of this. i've decided to drop my current degree and start one in a subject i will enjoy, which would probably be drastic for you as you only have a year left! but i know its the right move for me.
    Yeah mate I know exactly how you feel. I did pretty well in my first year, but now when it counts towards the degree...I've been so lazy, and I've done shite.

I would probably suggest doing a little bit at a time, then having a break. I get out of the habit of sitting down and doing work, so I have to ween myself back onto it again. And reward yourself for doing work, like say "I'll do a page then I can watch telly for an hour" or whatever. Even if you do a tiny bit, it gets easier. Or at least it does for me anyway!

do a page and then watch telly for an hour?!?
    My motivation is so bad these days :(

I don't know what to do about it.
    5000 word essay Literature Review due in on Thursday.

Word count so far: 0

In fact I've only done a couple of readings of it. Why does scientific literature have to be written in such an unreadable way, and why do some of the selfish cunts not let you view their articles online!
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    There's a good article on TheSite about how to stop procrastinating and get on with studying.

Mind you, reading it might just be another way for you to procrastinate and to ponder on the irony of doing so.
    do a page and then watch telly for an hour?!?

It's better than nothing. I was trying to show how you could build it up doing little bits at a time until you get into doing the work.
    Kimono wrote:
    There's a good article on TheSite about how to stop procrastinating and get on with studying.

Mind you, reading it might just be another way for you to procrastinate and to ponder on the irony of doing so.

That amused me :D

I'm procrastinating right now. I have an article review to do, and I really dislike both the article and the tutor leading the course because of the way he wants things done. So I'm just putting it off.
    [
    QUOTE=wooooooooah]It's better than nothing. I was trying to show how you could build it up doing little bits at a time until you get into doing the work.
    [/QUOTE]

yeahh..i've tried that...working little by little n then workng shit loads..it didn't work for long though. i've become so lazy it's ubeleiveable...n i feel so bad because everyone else in my course seems to be working pretty hard! :grump: :banghead: