Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

White Supremacists

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :lol: how convenient that this thread came back around. A&D just had a show on some Nazi Skins down in Alabama. My favorite scene had them all sitting around a cake with a swastika written in frosting on it, and they were all heiling and shouting "white power!". Then one of em goes "...ok, now who wants a piece of cake?" Entertainment at it's best :thumb:

:lol:
  • Options
    look, as much as it's true that people can suffer emotional damage, ya gotta addmit he's got a point that it isn't exactly on the same plane as physical damage.

No, its worse in a lot of cases. Bruises and broken bones heal a lot quicker than emotional trauma.
  • Options
    Where the hell do you get these weird beliefs from?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, its worse in a lot of cases. Bruises and broken bones heal a lot quicker than emotional trauma.

Thats true with continous verbal/emotional abuse over time, especialy from somebody in authority, teacher etc.

However if your compairing a one of incident on the street then no way can verbal abuse compaire to a serious kicking
  • Options
    Thats true with continous verbal/emotional abuse over time, especialy from somebody in authority, teacher etc.

However if your compairing a one of incident on the street then no way can verbal abuse compaire to a serious kicking

Most racist abuse isn't just confined to one incident on the street though is it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're either (a) very young (b) stupid or (c) a sociopath if you believe that

Or another disciple from the libertarian/anarcho-capitalist Monocrat school of thought.

You would think that political and economic beliefs had nothing to do with emotions and psychology, but for some bizarre reason all self-proclaimed anarcho-capitalist libertarians also appear to claim there is no such thing as emotional harm.

I'm sure there's a reason somewhere...

:confused:
  • Options
    I'm sure there's a reason somewhere...

Yeah, it's probably down to ideas of self responsibility. I am responsible for my own health, including mental and emotional health, and you are responsible for yours. The past is gone, and if you are choosing to remember crap from it then you are an idiot.

You lot seem to think that you're all victims of massive impersonal forces that "cause" problems, and that you need another set of massive causes to sort everything out.
  • Options
    It really depends on the person though.

Some people can take a load of verbal abuse and not think anything of it.

But a good kicking will hurt everyone. But verbal abuse is a very bad thing don't get me wrong.
  • Options
    Some people can also take a massive kicking and not think twice about it.

By the usual suspects' way of thinking, this can only mean that there is nothing wrong with a physical attack either so long as death or permanent damage does not occur. If some people can't take physical pain it's their problem, right?

Does pain exist anyway?

;)
  • Options
    By the usual suspects' way of thinking, this can only mean that there is nothing wrong with a physical attack either so long as death or permanent damage does not occur. If some people can't take physical pain it's their problem, right?

That's actually a really good way of looking at it. If you have a bloke with no nerve endings and can't feel pain and you break his leg, you have damaged him, whether he feels it or not in the real world.

Same as if someone breaks two windows - in the first case the owner is furious and goes off his head, in the second the owner doesn't give two shits. In both cases you actually have a broken window to replace, and all efforts should focus around that fact, not the subjective interpretation of events from the two parties.

I am not denying that some people have such minimal self control as to be affected by words alone, just that they shouldn't be pandered to. Or possibly, shown how to have greater self control and emotional maturity.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    sure they will, but to claim that emotional trauma is going to be caused by getting verbally abused occasionally is ridiculous.
  • Options
    sure they will, but to claim that emotional trauma is going to be caused by getting verbally abused occasionally is ridiculous.

Depends on the context. If its racist abuse in the context of a racist society then I'd argue that yes, it might well cause emotional trauma.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Depends on the context. If its racist abuse in the context of a racist society then I'd argue that yes, it might well cause emotional trauma.
    if it's a racist society there are far worse things than being called racist names. Just being called names isn't going to cause trauma.
  • Options
    if it's a racist society there are far worse things than being called racist names. Just being called names isn't going to cause trauma.
    That's easy to say when one is not the target of racist abuse.

That abuse, racist or of other nature, can have very serious consequences and lead to illness and death is beyond any doubt.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That's easy to say when one is not the target of racist abuse.
    It's called having a thicker skin. I know that I haven't been on the receiving end of racism many times in my life, that's not to say that I can't pass judgment.
    That abuse, racist or of other nature, can have very serious consequences and lead to illness and death is beyond any doubt.
    sure, but it takes a ridiculously large quantity, certainly more than a couple of passing comments on the street.
  • Options
    sure, but it takes a ridiculously large quantity, certainly more than a couple of passing comments on the street.
    Maybe so, but that does not mean making racist comments should be left unchallenged.

Of course, a sense of proportion is called for and you should not treat a racist abuse uttered once by a passer by with the same severity as a severe beating or a lifetime of bullying by the same individual. But a single instance of racist abuse is still wrong and the offender should be penalised for it.
  • Options

I suggest you've never been on the receiving end of it then.
  • Options
    It's called having a thicker skin. I know that I haven't been on the receiving end of racism many times in my life, that's not to say that I can't pass judgment

No, you can't pass judgement.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Of course, a sense of proportion is called for and you should not treat a racist abuse uttered once by a passer by with the same severity as a severe beating or a lifetime of bullying by the same individual. But a single instance of racist abuse is still wrong and the offender should be penalised for it.
    agreed.

I think the debate comes up when we ask who should be responsible for penalizing them.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, you can't pass judgement.
    :lol: right! Because if we haven't had a large body of direct experience with something, we've got no business discussing it!

None of us have been a starving kid in Ethiopia, guess we shouldn't discuss what should be done about famine.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I suggest you've never been on the receiving end of it then.
    :lol: I have, but only twice. Once from a couple of Mexicans, and once from a Black kid I later got to know because we played football together.

anyway, to be continued, I need to make a run to the corner store. Back in about 10 minutes.
  • Options
    :lol: I have, but only twice. Once from a couple of Mexicans, and once from a Black kid I later got to know because we played football together.

anyway, to be continued, I need to make a run to the corner store. Back in about 10 minutes.

I take it you're white, yes?
  • Options
    :lol: right! Because if we haven't had a large body of direct experience with something, we've got no business discussing it!

None of us have been a starving kid in Ethiopia, guess we shouldn't discuss what should be done about famine.

Don't be absurd. While you can discuss what should be done about famine in that instance, what you can't do is to pretend to know what its like to be a starving kid in Ethiopia.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I take it you're white, yes?
    yup.

and speaking of which, I must not have been the only one who saw that show on A&E last night. While I was walking to the store, a couple of idiots leaned out a car window and shouted at me "DON'T KEEP THE HATE ALIVE!"
    :lol:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Don't be absurd. While you can discuss what should be done about famine in that instance, what you can't do is to pretend to know what its like to be a starving kid in Ethiopia.
    true, but that was meant as an extreme case. We all know what it's like to be called names and taunted, perhaps not to the extent as some, but still.
  • Options
    yup.

So the only experience of racism you've had is a couple of comments shouted at you while being the majority in a culture? Do you not think that if you were the minority in a culture, you may have felt differently?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So the only experience of racism you've had is a couple of comments shouted at you while being the majority in a culture? Do you not think that if you were the minority in a culture, you may have felt differently?
    no, but the fact that it would happen more often if I were a minority might cause my reaction to be different. The point is that a relative to actual crimes like getting beat down, someone calling you names isn't that big of a deal
  • Options
    no, but the fact that it would happen more often if I were a minority might cause my reaction to be different. The point is that a relative to actual crimes like getting beat down, someone calling you names isn't that big of a deal

If you were a minority in a majority culture I think you'd see it differently. The only thing I can compare it to is being half Irish in the UK growing up in the 70's. That was minor but very unpleasant.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you were a minority in a majority culture I think you'd see it differently.
    And I think you are wrong... good luck to either one of us proving it though.
  • Options
    Hmm let me see........

You can either -

A) Be called a few names

or

b) Have your teeth kicked in

Who in their right mind is going to pick A or say that A is worse than B?

More hand-wringing soft as shite left wing crap.