Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

White Supremacists

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shit is it.

A "verbal attack" doesn't violate one's physical integrity. Emotional harm is secondary.
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    Shit is it.

A "verbal attack" doesn't violate one's physical integrity. Emotional harm is secondary.

just because something is secondary, doesnt mean it cant harm them

emotional damage can have very real and dangerous physical effects
  • Options
    I don't support the white supremist ideas at all as they usually hold very little intellectual backing, but I have friends who are racist. As long as they don't attack me for my beliefs I won't attack them.

You seem very tolerant and I envy that but I could not be friends with a racist. I would find it extremely difficult to stop myself attacking their beliefs.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    just because something is secondary, doesnt mean it cant harm them

So?
    emotional damage can have very real and dangerous physical effects

Bullshit can it.
  • Options
    emotional breakdown, nervous breakdown, mental illness?
  • Options
    Those aren't physical harm.

There should be no laws against "emotional harm".
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    Those aren't physical harm.

those illness' can manifest themselves in physical attributes

and saying there should be no laws against emotional harm means anyone can go around bullying anyone they like, which is wrong
  • Options
    You seem very tolerant and I envy that but I could not be friends with a racist. I would find it extremely difficult to stop myself attacking their beliefs.
    Being racist doesn't make somebody a bad person. I doa argue with him a lot because he can be condescending and thinks it's in the nature of Asians to rape women. It's sad he thinks that...

But on the other hand we have other ideas that we share and loyalty is what binds us.

I could never date a racist person however.
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:

Emotional harm can cause physical harm...suicide for example. What about those kids in America that were bullied at school so went around to vent their frustration with a shot gun?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    those illness' can manifest themselves in physical attributes

There's no physiological basis for mental illness or "emotional breakdown".
    and saying there should be no laws against emotional harm means anyone can go around bullying anyone they like, which is wrong

I don't advocate bullying. So what?
  • Options
    Being racist doesn't make somebody a bad person. I doa argue with him a lot because he can be condescending and thinks it's in the nature of Asians to rape women. It's sad he thinks that...

But on the other hand we have other ideas that we share and loyalty is what binds us.

I could never date a racist person however.

Yeah I see what you're saying but racist views are so dangerous and can breed so much hatred, I don't think I could get passed the fact that they were racist. Maybe my views would change if I did have racist people around me, I dunno.
  • Options
    Emotional harm can cause physical harm...suicide for example. What about those kids in America that were bullied at school so went around to vent their frustration with a shot gun?

And? Emotional harm isn't an attack against the person.

Being called a "twat" in itself doesn't cause any serious "emotional harm".
  • Options
    the words "emotional harm"

contains the word "HARM"

so if someone suffers from emotional harm, they have been harmed, which is an attack on that person
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    And? Emotional harm isn't an attack against the person.

Being called a "twat" in itself doesn't cause any serious "emotional harm".

Yes being called a twat didnt cause you serious emotional harm but I was commenting on you belief that there should be no laws against any emotional harm, which I believe can cause physical harm and is an attack on the person.
  • Options
    Yeah I see what you're saying but racist views are so dangerous and can breed so much hatred, I don't think I could get passed the fact that they were racist. Maybe my views would change if I did have racist people around me, I dunno.
    Yeah I came from a town in the hills near enough and working behind a bar I heard a lot of racist and homophobic comments (actually homophobia bothers me more), my town had race riots too.

The sad thing is that these aren't bad people, it's just that they aren't educated. And then you get some sanctimonious left wing people who react just as harshly to the right. You can't cure anything by beng hateful towards somebody, your aim is to educate and understand why they are like this.

By becoming them you have lost the battle.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

so if someone suffers from emotional harm, they have been harmed, which is an attack on that person

No it's not.

An attack on the person is a legal term meaning an act which causes physical harm. Assault, abh, gbh, murder and manslaughter are all attacks on the person.
  • Options
    To moonrat:

Yes I do agree with you and thats why I envy your stance. I worry about how their uneducated views are passed to others who then believe their stupid rants, my reaction is to rant back which obviously again breeds more hatred.
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    No it's not.

An attack on the person is a legal term meaning an act which causes physical harm. Assault, abh, gbh, murder and manslaughter are all attacks on the person.

It's not very nice to throw verbal abuse at people though is it. Perhaps you are thick skinned but others are not.
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    No it's not.

it seems we both have crossed wires here, an "attack on the person" might very well be a precise legal term referring to an act which causes physical harm, im on about attacking a person, which can still cover verbal assaults

and actuall

Assault is a hostile act that causes another person to fear attack
    Battery is the use of actual force in a physical assault
  • Options
    I've actually encountered a lot of smart racists. Stormfront have a lot of them.

I don't give a fuck if my mates are racist as a lot of them are...as long as they keep it to themselves and don't go on about it all the time.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've actually encountered a lot of smart racists. Stormfront have a lot of them.

I don't give a fuck if my mates are racist as a lot of them are...as long as they keep it to themselves and don't go on about it all the time.

what im about to say sounds bad, but please hear me out

i have a certain amount of respect for those with very strong but different point of views from my own, especially when they realise that their views may offend me, yet they keep themselves buttoned up, as to aid themselves to integrate with society
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    what im about to say sounds bad, but please hear me out

i have a certain amount of respect for those with very strong but different point of views from my own, especially when they realise that their views may offend me, yet they keep themselves buttoned up, as to aid themselves to integrate with society

Nah I get what you're saying and I agree.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nah I get what you're saying and I agree.

yay
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    Shit is it.

"sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me". What a contemptible lie. Words can be the most hurtful things of all.
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:

Bullshit can it.

You're either (a) very young (b) stupid or (c) a sociopath if you believe that
  • Options
    janeysmith wrote:
    There's no physiological basis for mental illness or "emotional breakdown".

So the mind exists in a non-physiological realm does it? You should get together with klintock.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So the mind exists in a non-physiological realm does it? You should get together with klintock.
    look, as much as it's true that people can suffer emotional damage, ya gotta addmit he's got a point that it isn't exactly on the same plane as physical damage.
  • Options
    Oh, and speaking of White Supremacists, here comes some of proud Aryan Warriors now! :lol:

boneheads.jpg
  • Options
    "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me". What a contemptible lie. Words can be the most hurtful things of all.

Aye, it's true enough. Words have automatic effects, they are conditioned responses. No native english speaker will fail to feel pressure to answer a question, for instance, don't you?

Of course, it's still not the same order as physical injury because you have to accept the fact that your a conscious, sentient being and in charge of your own responses and emotional state.

:confused:

No thanks.
  • Options
    :lol: how convenient that this thread came back around. A&D just had a show on some Nazi Skins down in Alabama. My favorite scene had them all sitting around a cake with a swastika written in frosting on it, and they were all heiling and shouting "white power!". Then one of em goes "...ok, now who wants a piece of cake?" Entertainment at it's best :thumb: