Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

dissertation - like banging your head against a wall

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
is anyone else that is doing a dissertation finding the staff that are ment to be there to help you just make things as difficult as possible for you.

im doing a microbiology dissertation and it involves a lot of lab work and the technicians that are ment to be there to go through your ideas with and expalin techniques are making everyones lives misersable.

when i first started planning my dissertation i went to see them and introduced myslef asked them wether they thort that the things i was proposing were ok and do able and they agreed that i would beable to do things etc etc......

so anyway i chose my dissertation and once again went to see them with suggested methods (there are many methods for the same thing and they all depend on what equipment the uni has) and they said which ones were do-able and which ones wernt.

i planned all my methods and did all my environmental sampling all mu pre-tests ect. went to actually do the lab work for my dissertation and got told that the technicians had "gone mad" about me using their labs for such dangerous samples (its canal water) and that i wasnt alowed to do it.

i was really annoyed because they had known for so long and had chose to say nothing but came up with another way i could do it, went to see them (was nice as pie aswell when i really wanted to tell them where to get off) ran the new one past them and they were ok with it but really horrible to me because i had put them in a "less than desireable position".

i have spent 5 weeks doing all the reaserch for this technique and went in today to start it to be told that "they wernt happy" with what i was doing, they said that they couldnt refuse permission as my supervisor had given it to me but i wasnt allowed to use any of the lab equipment :crying:

im 7 weeks off my hand in date and i still dont have any data, my supervisor is attempting to get some sense into them, there the same with everyone tho, just tripping you up at every fence. people are so horrible sometimes.

i wouldnt have a problem if what i was doing was actually dangerous but it isnt and they have okayed it.

grrrrrrrrrr

sorry for the big rant i just needed to vent
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear you're technicians are being pricks. If it had have been me I wouldn't have been so nice especially as they had known for ages about your samples. I'm doing micro as well so we shall see in a few years whether I get the same grief!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're technicians are being pricks. If it had have been me I wouldn't have been so nice especially as they had known for ages about your samples. I'm doing micro as well so we shall see in a few years whether I get the same grief!
    well i have complained and complained since before xmas about how they are hindering people rather than helping them and today i got called in for a meeting with 2 heads of department, the microbial saftey officer, the head technician, his union guy and my supervisor.

I think it went quite well, it turns out he has been lying (well not lying but leaving out thinks that would compleate the picture) to the microbial saftey officer and it was blatantly obvious today.

il just have to wait and see what the outcome is, i hope its good or his grudge will cost me my degree

*fingers crossed*