Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Horror flicks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I love horror but I've seen so many films, old and new that haven't scared me one bit.
I've been recommended the exorcist by a friend, but she also recommended scream 2 which was crap.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Horror flicks have got too graphic with the violence. They are no longer really scary, just gory.
    I'm not knocking that, there are some really sick imaginations making movies which is probably keeping the number of serial killers to a manageable minimum.
    For really good scares though, you need to look for less 'in-yer-face' horror. The best thing to scare someone is their own imagination.
    Probably the scariest film I ever saw was 'Night Of The Demon', a wierd 1930's British film with really nonky acting, crap special effects, and fairly duff dialogue. But it creates an atmosphere which will realy freak you out.
    Failing that, the first Nightmare on Elm Street film was a good one, The Shining, Silence Of The Lambs, The Dead Zone and Misery. Although, The Shining and Dead Zone are far better books than films. One book which will really mess with your head is 'Billy' by Whitley Streiber. Also the book for The Exorcist is infinitely scarier than the film.
    Enjoy!
    Scary movies these days are not always that scary, they are usually just 'slasher' movies with crap story-lines.

Try watching some old movies like grinreaper suggests. They are devoid of effects but the atmosphere is usually very spooky.

Look up that genre on some dvd and video sites like amazon.com

One more recent horror that scared me was 'Event Horizon', if you haven't seen it, its about a space ship that goes to hell and comes back with a mind of its own.

I watched it at the flicks but if u want un-censored films u should not buy them from the UK. Buy them from places like www.dvdboxoffice.com a Canadian site where you get free international delivery, uncut films and normally cheaper than UK prices.

hiya,
    ive seen the exocist and i thought it was crap, i tend to scream at everythin, ive seen scream loads a times and it still makes me jump. have u seen 'copy cat' that was the best, i saw it years ago and most havent heard of it.
    i thought the blair witch was the biggest load a crap goin, i found sixth sense scary! not nervewreckin, just made me v.jumpy in places, it also made me cry though.
    i even think i screamed at 1 point in chicken run! thats how jumpy i am, sad init!
    c ya
    love helly
    thanx 4 the advice. I hired out House On Haunted Hill last night and it was shit.
    It started off really well and had a brilliant atmosphere, until the plot became confusing and stupid.
    The worst bit was the end because u saw the ghosts chasing the people around the house, which looked good but wrecked the whole film.
    These days they rely on special effects in horror films, but everyone knows that it's not seeing the enamy that creats the fear.

ARE YOU FEELING LIKE YOUR LIFE HAS BEEN PLANNED OUT FOR YOU?
    ARE YOU FEELING LIKE A SOCIAL TOOL WITHOUT A USE?
    SCREAM AT ME UNTIL MY EARS BLEED, I'M TAKING HEED JUST FOR YOU.
    hiya,
    I have seen the excorcist and it was shit. I have also seen scream and although it is not scary it makes you jump in places. I have recently seen Scream bloody murder and it was alright but it wasn't REALLY scary. I would recommend The dentist,it is not that scary but i really don't like going to the dentist now!!
    House on Haunted hill was a pile of poo!!!

But... I loved the Haunting, yeah okay the CGI was a bit poor but there was a plot (don't faint) that acctually hung together well! My favorite still has to be anything by Steven King especially the new TV one 'Storm of the Century'

Steven King is a God!!! *L*

Keep Well

Sasy
    This is my first time, so bear with me!

I really don't get that scared of movies, but one that played with me a little bit was the '70s film The Changeling, creepy. I haven't seen it, but I also heard a movie called Dead Birds is scary,(it's not about birds). If anyone knows a movie that will scare the s**it out of me, please let me know!!! I agree that most of the "scary" films today suck, they don't let you use your imagination. Old ones played with your head, instead of using gore, and only having things jumping out at you, which im sorry, but that does not make a movie scary. The new Amityville Horror movie is coming out but I heard it sucks out loud, especially compared to the original. Again, there is nothing like old horror films. OH, the Excorcist, is not scary, it just kind of makes you go, "huh, that was interesting" But Nightmare on Elm Street was decent, it didn't scare me too bad, but a few of my friends had trouble falling asleep, it depends on how scared you are of movies>
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Well Played.

This thread is FIVE years old.

*bangs head repeatedly against a wall*
    The Ring. The US version is creepy, but if you don't mind foreign films see the original Japanese version which had me a hardened horror film watcher switching on the lights before I went up the stairs....
    NQA wrote:
    The Ring. The US version is creepy, but if you don't mind foreign films see the original Japanese version which had me a hardened horror film watcher switching on the lights before I went up the stairs....

See above :(
    JIM VEE! MAKE IT STOP!
    Perhaps now that I'm older and wiser I'd think it's pants, but the one and only time I watched 'The Evil Dead' (1982) I thought it was the most disturbing film I'd ever seen.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps now that I'm older and wiser I'd think it's pants, but the one and only time I watched 'The Evil Dead' (1982) I thought it was the most disturbing film I'd ever seen.

lol, yeah was on the other night, it is disturbing but not in a scary way........if you really want to scare yourself I'd recommend Japanese films all the way there's just a different edge, Hollywood is tame in comparison.......if you can watch The Audition and The Grudge you can watch anything.....
    Well as always the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre still scares the hell out of me, and the Wicker Man is superb. Recently a few moments of Carnivale have made a much greater impression than anything in the cinema.

Oh and just point out to new people they can start a new thread, good manners guide, etc. It's not the same person doing even if it feels that way.

Will push ahead with getting the tech boys to sort out the database but you can never beat a good chat about movies (and it can be intimidate to start new threads)
    yes the wicker man was quite scasry as was amytyville horror sp? and yes most modern horror movies are shite
    I'm definately not a fan of "The Exorcist", to me it just seemed more comedy than horror...

Seconded, the original is excellent. For anyone who hasn't already seen it, Channel 4, 12:10am tonight. :)

A film I saw recently which I really enjoyed was Switchblade Romance. Plenty of gore, suspense and an interesting twist towards the end. It's in French, but really it's one of those films where the dialogue is largely irrelevant. Worth seeing for the incredibly novel use of a chest of drawers alone!
    I love horror but I've seen so many films, old and new that haven't scared me one bit.
    I've been recommended the exorcist by a friend, but she also recommended scream 2 which was crap.
    FUCKIN' HELL

This is me!