Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How did you get your job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How did you hear about the vacancy of your current / previous job when you applied for it?

The job I'm just about to go into: I heard about from my college tutor.

The one I'm in now: I was working as a waitress and used to serve the Directors of the Company I work for now. The vacancy was advertised in the newspaper so I sent in my CV and got an interview that way. But obviously they already knew me and my personality a bit.

The one before that: My best friend working in the same restaurant and I got chatting to her boss a couple of times when I went in to meet my friend when she'd finished her shift. Boss was short-staffed one day and asked me to try out - loved it and stayed nearly a year!

The one before that: the estate agents I worked for on my school Y10 work experience placement asked me to come back for weekend work.

How about you? :)

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I went for work experience where my mum worked in 2002, I'm still there.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Temp agency, got hired on full time now though.
    Handed CV out to several shops in Oct... heard nothing until out of the blue a phonecall from Dune in December asking if I was still looking for work. I had an interview and induction and that was it...

Ilora x
    Current job: Went up town to hand in my CV and found they were doing a recruitment day. The guy was really impressed with my cv he basically turned round and immediatly said, yeah i'll recommend to put you forward a job. Started less than a week later.

Last job: Handed in a CV, got an interview, were sufficiently impressed they hired me and i started within days.

cuting out the inbetween jobs here.

First job: Handed in a CV, had no experience. Got an interview, wasnt successful. After a few months handed in another CV, had another interview, wasnt successful, but got to know the manager. Eventually i went in one day and he said, i have a job for you start Tuesday. I was well impressed and shocked also. When he eventuall left i found out he took me on because he saw " potential " in me, which i took as the great compliment it was ment to be :D
    Weirdly enough I got my 2 last jobs by smoking weed...

I used to work with a designcompany as a web developer, I fund them by first
    doing a website for someone the company new and who I was growing weed with at the time... I did his website and he then refer me to them...

The one I have now I got it by meeting a guy in a illegal hash shop/bar, the guy was just sitting next to me as a table while I was rolling one and having a thea.
    We end up talking about what I was doing, he took my number and give it to the company which call me. My current boss came down to my house we had a few spliffs and I have now been working for them for the last 3 years...
    i saw it advertised on graduatelink.com, applied, got an interview, bonded with my now-boss over food and clothing and the rest is history.

most of the jobs i had before that were through an agency, or via family and friends working there.
    The university hire people twice a year to fill the team, as people leave when they finish. I just sent in my application, had an interview and tada!

My previous jobs have been a case of seeing it advertised and sending in my CV or the application form.
    Applied for the job online, had an interview, got a job. Woot.
    Jobserve. The lazy way to find jobs.
    For this job, I went to a temping agency I'd used before, asked if they had work, and a week later I was sent here. This job is the pits, but it pays quite well for temping.

The last one, I got it through a bit of good old-fashioned nepotism.

The one before that was the same temping agency I went back to, because they were very very good.
    Current job: saw advert up at university's "Workstation". Was not looking for a job, was just passing. Saw the advert. It looked like a great job with great money. E-mailed CV. Interview same week. Started about three weeks later. Been there just over a year now.
    This job: Was offered it in a work reshuffle
    Last job: Saw it on Reed apllied on the sunday and had the job by teh following Friday, my ex-boss is now one of my best mates
    Job before that: Advert in local paper.
    Threats of arson.
    The chief executive of where I work is an honarary graduate at my university and he came and told us about the graduate scheme and I applied went through the hardest interview ever and got the job.
    I got my job through an add in the local paper.
    i was 16 at the time and looking for part time work. i handed by CV into a few places (or rather my mum did!) and mr. tesco sent me an application form. i had an interview and ta-da...still there 4 years later!
    Advertised in The Guardian. Oooh, how middle class :o
    Seen the ad in JobCentre. Phoned for an interview. Told me they already got their workers but took me name down anyways incase they were looking again. Phoned not long after asking if I could come in for an interview and started that week. Been there for nearly two years.
    I saw an advert for my current job as an admin assistant in my University job shop, sent my CV and covering letter to them, had an interview, got called back for a second interview and got the job!

One of my other current jobs as a student ambassador for my Uni I found out about at the freshers fayre in my second year, filled in an application form, had an interview and got the job.

My final current job as a mentor for year 9 students, I found out about through doing the ambassador work, filled in an application form, had an interview, attended a weekend long training session, passed that and got the job!

In the summer between my first and second year of Uni, I worked as a teaching assistant in Brazil and found out about the job online through a company called CCUSA, filled in an application form, had a telephone interview and got the job.

My job during my A Levels I found out about through a friend who worked there, filled in an application form, had an interview and got the job.

Finally, the job I had during my GCSEs I saw an advert for in the shop window, filled in an application form, had an interview and got the job!
    *hellie* wrote:
    I worked as a teaching assistant in Brazil and found out about the job online through a company called CCUSA, filled in an application form, had a telephone interview and got the job.
    Where abouts did you go?

ETA: I have just been looking at the CCUSA website. How much did you have to pay for your placement if you don't mind me asking?
    My friend called me, said they needed staff where she works and I after that I called the company and after talking to the manager we agreed to me showing up.
    I used the University Jobs service. They gave me the details for my current job, I give them a call, I went in for an interview and wahey I got the job! :D
    walked past the club on my way into town, saw a poster, rang up and left a message, got called back, had an interview on my way back out of town, got a job
    got my job through an recruitment agency on the internet. they tried to place me on a number of interviews but they never came through. most people wouldn't interview me cause i don't have a degree (dropped out). eventually i got my first interview, and it was the best interview i ever did. i was really confident and came across as someone who knew their stuff. whats more it was actually fun i made some good jokes (even though i was suited up talking to the board). anyway, they loved me and snapped me up the next day.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Where abouts did you go?

ETA: I have just been looking at the CCUSA website. How much did you have to pay for your placement if you don't mind me asking?

I went to the state of Espirito Santo and stayed in a small place called Domingos Martins.

I can't remember the exact cost, I know my flight was around £800 and my application fee was about £85 but the company was supposed to take another £450 or so from me on top of that and never did! I was very disappointed with their service though and wouldn't recommend them.
    *hellie* wrote:
    I went to the state of Espirito Santo and stayed in a small place called Domingos Martins.

I can't remember the exact cost, I know my flight was around £800 and my application fee was about £85 but the company was supposed to take another £450 or so from me on top of that and never did! I was very disappointed with their service though and wouldn't recommend them.
    Ok then... thanks for the warning (though pretty cool if they were so badly organised they forgot to charge you!).

I am moving to Brazil (was meant to be in June '06 but now I think it will have to be next year some time) after having done a GAP year (6 months) in favela in Cubatão city, in São Paulo state. I think I will probably end up in São Paulo city though as there are better work opportunities there and it is near-ish to Cubatão where most of my Brazilian friends live.