Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Absinthe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering what the people know about absinthe and or their experiences? i know a little bit about it but just want to see what you all know.

Comments

• Options
    ive bought a couple of bottle back from abroad in the past, tbh i find it too strong to be able to drink enough to halucinate
  • Options
    its funny how the americans seem to be fanscinated by it, its impossible to get over there isnt it?

ive had the black one, think its 85% vol, was horrible.
  • Options
    i had a shot of it a few weeks ago and i hated it!!! i downed it - and then i ended up coughing for the next 5-10 minutes. plus it tasted of aniseed.. and i hate aniseed!!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Its a right headfuck, and makes you feel shit the next day.

And people- yes it tastes bad, so run it over a spoon with sugar on it. Thats why people do it, you know.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    its funny how the americans seem to be fanscinated by it, its impossible to get over there isnt it?

ive had the black one, think its 85% vol, was horrible.

Its true. Its the first thing I plan on doing when I can.

Though I didn't know it was 85%, everclear is better ;)
  • Options
    the potcheen will sort the men from the boys ;)
  • Options
    I love personally...

Love the effects, think they differ a bit from other alcohol...

I prefer the Green one, there is a good one at 85% which is damn good, not cheap tho...

With a bit of water or an a sugar it does test good...

Give me a nice warm feeling and in a more funny mood...

Not everyone like it, but it's worth a try :yes:
  • Options
    i find it makes you all warm inside and you dont notice the effects to much until you go outide in the fresh air

after that i usually cant remember a fucking thing tbh

banging hangover though :'(
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    the potcheen will sort the men from the boys ;)

:yes:

was just about to say.

Absinthe doesn't even compare.
  • Options
    Like gerbil said, have it with sugar. Put sugar in a spoon, dip it in, then light it. Mix the melted sugar into the shot and see it off. It's nice that way.

The traditional way is to use sugar and ice cold water, then the components that are not soluble in water come out of solution and cloud the drink; that milky opalescence is called the louche. However, most modern absinthe doesn't have the right level of herbal content to produce this effect.

So the best way is just to use fire :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Like gerbil said, have it with sugar. Put sugar in a spoon, dip it in, then light it. Mix the melted sugar into the shot and see it off. It's nice that way.

The traditional way is to use sugar and ice cold water, then the components that are not soluble in water come out of solution and cloud the drink; that milky opalescence is called the louche. However, most modern absinthe doesn't have the right level of herbal content to produce this effect.

So the best way is just to use fire :D

Tates damn good don't it? A zippo is like a godsend for that. And mine is now broke. :o

I find Eastern Europe has plenty of nice absinthes, and they are strong. Yet another reason to visit there sharpish... even if you can't read the label.
  • Options
    I've tried it once. It was some foreign brand, I don't think you can get this type here. It made me feel drunk and I got a bit hysterical thinking that it was made of woodworm instead of wormwood.
  • Options
    I found out that yes it is legal here in the states but they cannot sell it here because it is not endorsed or whatever by the FDA but it is legal to buy it from elsewhere, Europe of course, and have it shipped here. from what ive heard the stuff from France is the best and the stuff from eastern europe isnt that great and is mainly vodka with some herbs in it. ive also heard that you need to have a high tolerance to alcohol in order to see and halucination, considering its very high alcohol content.

to answer the question from olaola i have no idea why we are facinated by it but we just are. just like other countries facinated with other things.
  • Options
    I thought absinthe was an alcohol and a brand... and always green. i'm dumb.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I thought absinthe was an alcohol and a brand... and always green. i'm dumb.

Thought for a long time it was green too, but there is some black on as well...

Absinthe can be made in plenty of different contry so I think it depends on
    where it have be done etc...
  • Options
    Ive got some of the 85% black stuff in the cupboard, brought it back from Majorca. it tastes like pernod, but i didnt have enough of it to hallucinate or anything, just got me tipsy a little bit quicker than usual, and it does make you feel very warm.
  • Options
    Ive got some of the 85% black stuff in the cupboard, brought it back from Majorca. it tastes like pernod, but i didnt have enough of it to hallucinate or anything, just got me tipsy a little bit quicker than usual, and it does make you feel very warm.

We need to drink some more see if we can have allucinations :naughty:

Oh look and angel... oh look a devil... Oh what the f**k are they doing?!? :crazyeyes

Hum... that's the weed talking... already stonned.. tut tut tut...
  • Options
    is anyone going to verify wetehr absinthe actually makes peope hallucinate?

Also is it not impossible to drink more than 2 or 3 shots of it?

Ok, ok, I'll do it and let you know ;)

It is possible to drink more, did it already...
  • Options
    i had 2 shots of it before a night out once, apart from the warmness i didnt notice THAT much difference in drunkness.. Definately no hallucinations :chin:
  • Options
    Ok, ok, I'll do it and let you know ;)

It is possible to drink more, did it already...
    God, no wonder they called you rampant poster.
    sexual harrassment on a public message board!
    leave me alone :p:p
  • Options
    God, no wonder they called you rampant poster.
    sexual harrassment on a public message board!
    leave me alone :p:p

That's not sexual harrassment...

I'll have to show you what sexual harrassment is...

Muahahahaha....

:D:D:D
  • Options
    So its a myth that drinking 5 or 6 ansinthe can cause death?

Yep it is...

I have drunk much more than that in the past...

I cut it with a bit of water tho or put in on a sugar, cos well otherwise
    kind of burn when you drink it, it's still 85%...
  • Options
    No absinthe you can buy in the UK will make you hallucinate. They're not allowed to put enough of the stuff in that makes you. Eastern European stuff might do though. And as for the myth that it makes you crazy, that was probably more down to dodgy distillation techniques in the 16th century or whenever it was traditionally drank.
    You're not supposed to drink the stuff straight, by the way. I prefer a nice green layer on top of a bigger shot. :D Had La Fee with water poured over sugar, it's okay but not my favourite drink ever.
  • Options
    You put a sugar cube on a absinthe spoon (or tea strainer if you don't want to fork out £3) then pour water over it.
  • Options
    a lot of bars in belfast server it, but i have drank absinthe brought over from canary islands and slovakia and poland as well..

many different kinds- some tastet all right and some smelt/tasted like paint stripper

i have had some good experiences... my first was in a local bar here that used to serve it- i was 16 and not a heavy drinker then and 3 shots of it and a few pints and i was hammered.. but thats when i was getting hammered on three pints

recent times have been more exciting.. i have memories of waking up in the morning with the taste of absinthe and boke.. i had one two many- ut when i was drinking it i was mixing pints of tennents, vodkas and rebulls, absinthe of course. usually mixing vodka and pints is bad enough for me absinthe was the icing on the cake..

i enjoy it tho, if you havent had a drink for a few days and take a few shots of absinthe you can more or less feel the instant affects- your head is an instant looser
  • Options
    How did you get the name rampant poster, did you pm JimV or did it just appear?

Nah they change all Insane Poster to Rampant Poster...
    Won't have that one for long anyway ;)
  • Options
    Nah they change all Insane Poster to Rampant Poster...
    Won't have that one for long anyway ;)
    Ooh, I've got that as well. Wonder what it'll be next. :chin:
  • Options
    Ooh, I've got that as well. Wonder what it'll be next. :chin:

Next should be at 500 Mega Poster if it stay like it is now...
  • Options
    I was just wondering what the people know about absinthe and or their experiences? i know a little bit about it but just want to see what you all know.

Meh, its alright. Bit strong for me, I prefer scotch. NEVER put any of it on a BBQ, unless you are at least a metre away. Remember to mix it with water and sugar and do never drink it straight from the bottle.
  • Options
    i think it was the czech republic where i saw red, gold, green, black colours of absinthe for sale, they all had different alcohol strengths, all tasted the same to me, absolute yank. give me a shot of jager anyday, or if you are feeling like a man of steel, a shot of Balzams (possibly the most disgusting thing to enter my mouth)