Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Absinthe

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i believe its down to the amount of thujone in it

quick google:

http://brewery.org/library/absfaq.html
    My friend drank 9 shots of it once and went temporarily blind. He didn't die though.
    Dumb question, how do you pronounce it?
    Ab-synth
    Isn't the reason it's traditionally hallucenogenic mostly because the traditional way to drink it?
    i.e. by dropping opium onto a sugar cube, pouring the absinthe over it and setting it on fire so the opium-soaked sugar cube melts into the absinthe.

I always thought it was the opium that produced the hallucenogenic effect.

I tried to drink a bottle of the crappy green stuff until I passed out after about a quarter of it. Still alive though :p
    On a somewhat related note, has anyone drank Mezcal?

We have a bottle from mexico in sitting in our flat almost finished. There is a small worm in the bottle which is traditional for mezcal. I've heard the myths that eating this leads to hallucinogenic effects but just wondering if there's any truth behind that at all?

I'm gonna eat it some night just for the craic. Worms :yum:
    Mezcal is a type of tequila, and the worm would be a mescaline worm, so yes, hallucinogenic
    http://www.tastings.com/spirits/tequila.html
    Sweet. Gonna eat ya little worm...
    Just to add to the general concencus (sp?) of the thread:

No - more than 3 shots wont kill you. Just a lot of bars dont wanna serve you too much of it and get you sloppy drunk all over their establishment (or at least thats the way they run things around here).

No - modern mass produced absinthe wont make you halucinate as it doesnt have the same ingredients as the traditional stuff.

Yes - its pretty powerful as far as booze goes and has put me on my ass a number of times. (NYE 2002 - 6 shots along with anything else i could swallow....passed out for 2 hours in the corner of the pub. was fine afterwards suprisingly)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You can still pick up Wormwood Absinthe off the net.

But it's vile.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive wrote:

But it's vile.

Well, I have drunk worse tasting stuff.
    Skive wrote:

But it's vile.

Yeah ive noticed that you can buy it from places over in Europe mainly France and Eastern Europe. From what ive heard, the best tasting absinthe comes from France and the terrible stuff is from Eastern Europe. The stuff from east Europe is supposidly horrible because its basically vodka with some herbs in it, which may include some of the original ones.
    Like the others, I've had it as well, but not enough to halucinate, as it is expensive and the friend hosting was hardly willing to let me have more than a few drinks. It was also only 10 mg/thujone. So...we still don't know for sure wether you do in fact halucinate or not.:(

But I should note that there are a few just added types of Czech absinthe at absinthesupply.com. Lisse has extra low alcohol content (30%), but double (20 mg/thujone) the strength, I assume so you can feel the herbal effects before you get too wasted to notice. The other (ZELE Premium) is a new record in thujone content: a whopping 111 mg and 151 proof! Wow...that'll get you wasted with a few capfulls...

...at least it had better be good for a whopping $200 USD...

...at least it had better be good for a whopping $200 USD...

It better be fricken amazing.... for that price. you can go out and buy a crap load of other stuff for that expense.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    No - modern mass produced absinthe wont make you halucinate as it doesnt have the same ingredients as the traditional stuff.

:yes: Its the wormwood, the active compound of which is a turpine called thujone, which is a psychoactive convulsant and can apparently, in sufficient regular quantities, cause toxicity . There is a vault on Erowid if you want to read up.

It was traditionally served with sugar over a spoon simply because, as many of you have pointed out, it is very bitter and tastes vile.
    So in all honesty can anyone say that it is possible to purchase ansinthe that will make me hallucinate or am i just going to have to buy the polish stuff from Sainsbury's again?

I've had the real deal and didn't rate it. I think by the time you get any effect from the wormwood, your already pissed right up and being sick. I think you'd have to have a serious ability with alcohol for it to be any good.
    Weekender Offender 
    Yeah, I've read up on it and apparently the effect of wormwood in the drink is somewhat of a myth. The amount of thujone present in distilled absynth is very small, and you would have to drink a huge amount to see any noticeable hallucagenic effects. But you would be drunk a long time before that, and so would most likely see a placebo effect of the alcohol and your belief in the drink's power. Apparently some absynth is either undistilled, or has thujone re-added afterwards. They market this as 'high-wormwood content' or something like that.
    Mezcal is a type of tequila, and the worm would be a mescaline worm, so yes, hallucinogenic
    http://www.tastings.com/spirits/tequila.html

I'm sorry to be a bit blunt, but thats rubbish, there is no 'mescaline' worm.

The worm in Mezcal is just that, a worm, it wont really do anything, I've had a couple, they are quite odd and feel quite strange in the mouth. But they do not make you trip, get you more drunk, make you do anything really.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm sorry to be a bit blunt, but thats rubbish, there is no 'mescaline' worm.

The worm in Mezcal is just that, a worm, it wont really do anything, I've had a couple, they are quite odd and feel quite strange in the mouth. But they do not make you trip, get you more drunk, make you do anything really.

Yes my old man brought back a bottle once, and led us to believe it was hallucinogenic. My mate and I drank the whole bottle and ate the worm thinking we were going be tripping, instead we just got pissed and ill.

Tequilla's tastes worse than wormwood. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Tequilla's tastes worse than wormwood. :yuck:

No! Tequilla is a great spirit, it goes well in coctails.
    :no:
    Weekender Offender 
    Yes it is.
    Good morning!

fuck it
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    fuck it

Where did that go? I am to get broadband at home soon ish, I havent DL it yet due to crappy dial up, but I will.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Where did that go? I am to get broadband at home soon ish, I havent DL it yet due to crappy dial up, but I will.

You're fucking quick aint you?
    That was up for all of a second. It was meant to be a PM, but I fucked it up and posted it in this thread.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    You're fucking quick aint you?
    That was up for all of a second. It was meant to be a PM, but I fucked it up and posted it in this thread.

Reactions of a panther me.
    Bought a bottle of it in the canary islands, drank 6 shots of it before along with vodka and was so drunk it wasn't even funny, this stuff i had was 70%.

I've drank it in belfast before but i had been drinking wine and cider before i drank it, was well pissed but not as strong as the stuff i got in the canaries.
    At Run To The Sun the other year some geezer passed me a bottle of Ab that was 150 proof, and I tried to down as much as I coudl in one go.
    Bear in mind I was already pilled off my tits and had a few drinks already - as soon as the stuff hit my gut I hurled.
    It burned like fuck and I had trouble breathing for a minute or so for all the fumes. IT was fuckign horrible.
    Weekender Offender 
    I'd say it did burn, when i was taking shots of that stuff it burnt your throat like fire.
    i ate a tequila worm once and now i cant drink tequila at all cos even the smell makes me feel sick, I was a nit confused because ive heard it called mescaline worm and it made sense if the drink was called mezcal, but I thought real mescaline came from the peyote, so just not sure what i believe anymore *cries*