Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

100th soldier to die in iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just seen this on the news, an interview with Tony Blair who says that its worth it to see it through. How would he feel if it was his one of his children! would he say it was worth it to lose one of his children! Stupid thing to say IMO, i dont think any family who loses a child/father/husband or anyone else to this war would say it was 'worth it'. im not arguing with the war i dont know enough about it really but what a stupid thing to say. made me mad :mad:

Comments

• Options
    The blood of a hundred British soldiers (not to mention hundreds of thousands of Iraqis military and civilian alike) are on the hands of our fine Prime Minister.

Not that he gives a shit though...
  • Options
    Im not happy with the death toll, but death is something soldiers understand is part of their job. A fair few deaths were accidents, friendly-fire, even illness, not all of them have been killed in fire fights, and if it were true - 100 in 3 years is very few in terms of loses.

The only thing a politician can do when soldiers die is offer condolencies and try to reassure they didn't die in vain.
  • Options
    Im not happy with the death toll, but death is something soldiers understand is part of their job. A fair few deaths were accidents, friendly-fire, even illness, not all of them have been killed in fire fights, and if it were true - 100 in 3 years is very few in terms of loses.

The only thing a politician can do when soldiers die is offer condolencies and try to reassure they didn't die in vain.

...and avoid starting totally unneccessary wars in the first place.
  • Options
    He was more following the Americans...not so much starting it himself, but the point is the same. personally i woul have more respect for Blair if he had been honest and said, "Saddam is a bad guy, we don't like him, and we really want his oil so we are going to take it by force!" Rather then gone on about WMD's, looking back with hindsight.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The blood of a hundred British soldiers (not to mention hundreds of thousands of Iraqis military and civilian alike) are on the hands of our fine Prime Minister.

Not that he gives a shit though...

The blood of over a million Iraqis is on Saddam. Not that you seem to give a shit.

Actually, that’s unfair. Although no more so than claiming that the Prime Minister doesn’t give a shit about Allied soldiers and Iraqis that have died in this war.

Whatever you think about the Iraq war Blair isn't callous, his motives were sincere and genuine. And whilst things haven’t gone as well as we’d have liked you cannot deny that Iraq has a better future without Saddam.
  • Options
    The blood of over a million Iraqis is on Saddam. Not that you seem to give a shit.

Actually, that’s unfair. Although no more so than claiming that the Prime Minister doesn’t give a shit about Allied soldiers and Iraqis that have died in this war.

Whatever you think about the Iraq war Blair isn't callous, his motives were sincere and genuine. And whilst things haven’t gone as well as we’d have liked you cannot deny that Iraq has a better future without Saddam.

and would you appreciate blair's attitude if it was someone in your family? if you lost someone you loved would you think it was worth it? i very much doubt it, its easy enough to say when you dont know the people who have died.
  • Options

A million?

That seems rather a large exxageration........
  • Options
    Certainly several hundred thousand and probably about a million in the Iran-Iraq War which Saddam started
  • Options
    Nicely simplistic assessment there NQA. Try "which Saddam started at the behest of and in the further interests of his US administration backers at the time". Just another proxy war for which the real antagonists go unmentioned and uncondemned.

Such apologists dont have the consistency of principle to acknowledge the same evil being perpetrated when the US and UK launch a war against another country (two in fact).

How unsurprisingly hypocritical.
  • Options
    Just wondering Clandestine have you ever heard of a mass murdering dictator you didn't like?
  • Options
    Pol Pot...no one can like him! What a cunt! Hitler and Stalin and Lenin and Chairman Moa are another few!

But back to the point at hand...Saddam started the war with Iran and the behest of many outside interests, including the entire liberal middle-eastern arab governments, as well as the US and UK.

The invasion of Afghanistan was justified was it not as that was the base of Al Quida operations, and since it was a "War on Terror" they had to go where th emost terrorists were to get them, which happened to be afghanistan. Though i agree, they didnt really fight a war on a terror as much as they used it as a stepping stone for Iraq.
  • Options
    Have you ever heard of applying consistent principle to your own government which you have a duty to hold to account rather than the mental cowardice of constantly decrying the evils of other governments?

Show one place where i have said I liked Saddam. Obviously it strains your tabloid sensibilities to be reminded of the actual causal factors of historic events such as the Iran/Iraq War. I suppose the sanitised PR versions suitable for hyper nationalist self justification for our own warmaking is easier to digest.

Moral relativity is, after all, the opiate of the intellectually dishonest.
  • Options
    Whatever you think about the Iraq war you cannot deny that Iraq has a better future without Saddam.
    show me how ...where ...when?
    now? sometime in a promised near or far off future?
  • Options
    Saddam's trial is going entertainingly!

Personally i prefer the Milosevic trial, though i personally do not see the justification to out him on trial but not do the same to many other leaders of the other factions such as the Croats and Muslims!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Mao... Stalin... two men the world would be worse off without, despite thier evident evil.

It just goes to show, Iraq is cocked up. Sad thing is... MOST of them were shot by.. our ally, the USA. Fuckers.
  • Options
    You kidding?

What about Burma? Sudan? China? What about those crises? The lives lost, the violations of human rights.

I'm sure if Mr Blair were so 'sincere and genuine' he'd be helping Sudan out right now. Iraq isn't the only country with a shitty government... Oh and you know wha? Caring Mr Blair won't help British residents out in Guantanamo when it is perfectly in his power to do so... Caring Mr Blair was going to accept evidence obtained by torture and now detains people "on suspician of terrorism" without any trial. Caring Mr Blair is involved in a war where phosphorous is killing indiscriminately. He has lied to the public about WMD's and sent forth people to their slaughter in an unessecery war, making widows, orphans and money for his back pocket.

I never have and never will support the war. It was handled badly, it's surrounded by lies, it's a waste of money... What concerns anybody who cares about human rights more is the allegations of abuse of prisoners and the use of cluster bombs in civilian populated areas. It is frightening...

If they abuse human rights over there, it is only so long until they start to errode them here.
  • Options
    The American and British government certainly didn't give a shit for more than 20 years. What makes you think they suddenly starting caring?

And yet, more and more testimonies appear by the day (including from Dubya himself) that appear to suggest Blair was in fact the bigger warmonger of the two, and that he suggested the UN and the world should be lied to about the situation in Iraq in order to justify the war.

Sincere, my hairy arse.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The American and British government certainly didn't give a shit for more than 20 years. What makes you think they suddenly starting caring?
    Sanctions killed thousands too...
  • Options
    Incidentally I was just watching the press preview in the news channel, and the S*n has a double page spread out with the photos of the 100 dead soldiers, and the following headline:

"HEROES WHO DIED FOR OUR FREEDOM"

Our freedom?

Fucking lying patronising cunts. Using the language of necon America now are they? :mad:

Fucking Murdoch worthless shite.
  • Options
    I doubt any UK citizen's freedom was every under threat from Iraq, but from the Blair government its eroding step by step while the security/arms companies line up for the gravy train.
  • Options
    There's no reason for our troops to be over there, in my opinion. I know people in the army - they joined to fight and protect our country - something which they are certainly NOT doing in Iraq. Also, these same soldiers tell me that the majority of civillians in Iraq don't want our troops there.

There are still people in Iraq that believed in Saddam's ways - that's not going to change.
  • Options
    There's no reason for our troops to be over there, in my opinion. I know people in the army - they joined to fight and protect our country - something which they are certainly NOT doing in Iraq. Also, these same soldiers tell me that the majority of civillians in Iraq don't want our troops there.

There are still people in Iraq that believed in Saddam's ways - that's not going to change.

I have a mate in Armed Forces, he's off to Afghanistan next year... ;(

Thing is, if we pull out... someone worse than Saddam might just take over. We did cock it up... so I suppose if its our mess, we should clean it. I think, until Iraq has a fairly voted in government with the power to stand on its own two feet, it won't stabalise. Or Iran will help install some of their puppet extremists.

We really have gotten into a no win situation. Suppose it's payback for putting Saddam in power in the first place.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Mao... Stalin... two men the world would be worse off without, despite thier evident evil.

How so?

In what way is murdering millions of people good for the world.

If someone said similar about Hitler, they would be banned without hesitation...........
  • Options
    I thought it was interesting that on the day when the majority of the headlines were on the issue of the tragedy and folly of war, lamenting the death of our soldiers etc that the media is having a collective orgasm over the new British warship out today........

Mixed standards to say the least.........
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    Just seen this on the news, an interview with Tony Blair who says that its worth it to see it through. How would he feel if it was his one of his children! would he say it was worth it to lose one of his children! Stupid thing to say IMO, i dont think any family who loses a child/father/husband or anyone else to this war would say it was 'worth it'. im not arguing with the war i dont know enough about it really but what a stupid thing to say. made me mad :mad:

STAY TEH COARSE!!
    \
    nigel.gif
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    How so?

If someone said similar about Hitler, they would be banned without hesitation...........

Stalin and Mao fought the Axis powers with incredible success. Russians inflicted 75% of all German casualties and the Chinese Communists not only kept the Japanese tied up in China fighting a guerrilla war, they also made life alot better than it was under the Kuomintang, even though it was at a terrible cost of human life, one which shouldnt have been paid, IMO. Most of China's current leadership would have been peasants breaking their backs in muddy fields if it weren't for Mao.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    How so?

Need I explain without Stalin hitler would have WON WW2... Mao... made China the nation is it is today. The Murder is NOT the good part - the building a strong Industrial Nation is... without Mao, China wouldn't produce all the cheap goods we buy mthousands of Daily. Without Stalin, Hitler would have trampled Russia and won WW2 with ease. The Soviet Armed forces defeated over 70% of the German Armed forces, people like to forget that.
  • Options
    100 British soldiers are dead.
    Hundreds more American soldiers are dead.
    Countless thousands more Iraqi citizens are dead.
    And still we receive no admission this war was wrong.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    100 British soldiers are dead.
    Hundreds more American soldiers are dead.
    Countless thousands more Iraqi citizens are dead.
    And still we receive no admission this war was wrong.

War is all about death. Enough death to make the other side give up.

So in theory we should have surrendered to the Americans now, the number of Brit's they've killed.
  • Options
    I am desperately bored with debating neo-cons etc. with Clandestine et al but you maybe interested to know that someone was arrested and charged after reading out the names of UK dead outside Parliment recently.