Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mouse problem?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok not sure if this is the right place to put this, if not let me know and i'll move it.

Well got up this morning, got showered and dressed. Went downstairs got breakfast and went into the frontroom to watch the news. After breakfast i noticed my two cats kept going behind the TV. Had a look behind and couldn't see anything so thought their just chasing and eating a spider as normal (for those of you who dont know, and are afriad of spiders get a cat. they love um - yum yum). Moved the cables and a little mouse about 2inches long went running under the sofa. Moved the sofa and back to the tv. repeat continued this for about an hour before i had to go to work.

Any advise on catching it? that is if my girls haven't left a present for me when i get home. The thing i'm confused about is how the little bugger got there. I'm on the 2nd floor of a apartment building, which is make of Reinforced Conrete.

Comments

• Options
    Good old mouse trap with a bit of cheese should do the trick...
  • Options
    Call the pest control dept at the Environmental Health. It's usually free as far as I know.

And mice will get anywhere.
  • Options
    think i remember hearing that cheese doesn't work. heared that choclate is good.
  • Options
    IF you want it dead, normal mouse trap, Alive and kicking then you can go to pet shops and get harmless mice traps, they can enter but cant leave them,
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    think i remember hearing that cheese doesn't work. heared that choclate is good.
    Cheese does work, My two little miccies love cheese and eat it for treats about once a week, only a tiny bit is needed

About [_] size bit of cheese should work, simple things like hamster/rat or any random fruit/veg works, miccies eat almost ANYTHING...
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:

Never actually tried with cheese...

Chocolat, hehe, that's cool I think...
  • Options
    Or just put a piece of cheese with a valium in there :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Chocolate works too.

In a flat we were in we had mouse trouble and we enticed it into a bottle with some chocolate and were able to release it somewhere away from the flat.

Also, give your house a good clean. They are attracted by crumbs and bits of food. We worked out that the crumbs from our toaster was what was enticing them into the flat.
  • Options
  • Options
    gave the flat a good clean on sunday. was a bit of a mess, i'd been away for over a week with work dont think that the lodgers had done any cleaning while i was away (their moving out soon, and i need new ones before the 18th but thats another story)
  • Options
    Yeah, seriously, they dribble urine constantly, literally and they carry all kinds of nasty diseases..... and where there's one, well let's just say chances are it'll bring friends.

Call out pest control, don't even think about fannying around with a mouse trap.
  • Options
    i'll phone them today. as the building management company for my block is the local council as there are still a few flats there that are council houses
  • Options
    Hmmm... as a owner of mice and a mice lover i wouldn't advice killing them but thats because they're nice,

and.. Mice are actually genurally clean animals, males always smell like shit but thats because they spray alot. I've noticed that my mice always poo in one place and only one place :)

anyway wild mice are different i suppose.
  • Options
    £34 and they cant come out till the 14th. Think i'll got to homebase and get some safe traps in the mean time.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    £34 and they cant come out till the 14th. Think i'll got to homebase and get some safe traps in the mean time.

I'm very surprised at that. :o
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Miffy wrote:
    I'm very surprised at that. :o

We tried to call pest control in Edinburgh and they were going to charge us. They said that they had to because it was such a problem and no-one was funding it. Or something equally as crap :/

Eventually, we got onto our leasing agents and they sorted it out for us. One of the problems with the flat is that it was so old the whole street was riddled with mice. Oh, and the people downstairs were manky shits so they were the real cause of it :(
  • Options
    We tried to call pest control in Edinburgh and they were going to charge us. They said that they had to because it was such a problem and no-one was funding it. Or something equally as crap :/

Eventually, we got onto our leasing agents and they sorted it out for us. One of the problems with the flat is that it was so old the whole street was riddled with mice. Oh, and the people downstairs were manky shits so they were the real cause of it :(

I suppose this is the way it'll go... oh well. It's always been free when I've had to get them out, apart from for wasps nests. You've always had to pay to get them removed as far as I know.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    I suppose this is the way it'll go... oh well. It's always been free when I've had to get them out, apart from for wasps nests. You've always had to pay to get them removed as far as I know.

it would take about £2000 pounds an hour to persuade me to go anywhere near a wasps nest, they are psychos.
  • Options
    I have had mice twice in my bedroom. Just used a mouse trap with chocolate on it. We have a lot in our shed and that always catches them.
  • Options
    just been to homebase and got myself two live catching mouse traps. and a cadbury's Flake. put that down when i get home from work. and see how it goes.
  • Options
    I was going to tell the tale of how my mate set up traps with biro lids and unside-down yogurt pots, but ti seemed a little stale second hand so I shant bother. Hope you catch the pesky vermin!
  • Options
    yep chocolate is definitely the way forward, in the house i've just moved out of we had mouse problems all the time, landlord laid quite a few traps but the mice just wouldn't go for the cheese, then one of my flatmates swapped it for a bit of chocolate and she caught 3 of the buggers in one night......good luck i absolutely hate the vermin, they kept scratching at the door in the middle of the night waking me up, that's one thing i definitely won't miss about the old place.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    These can be fun pest control I hear. Give it a go.

Erm, Mouse Trap, or Humane Cage if you want. Basically, a cage with a trip mechanism so when it goes for the food in it, it gets stuck in there. Easy to make, test it on one of the cats :p.

Yeah... should be easy enough. And you can even feed it the cats after as a treat. (Don't be supprised by hair balls for a bit after.)
  • Options
    What floor are you on?Do the cats go outside at all?Cos in my experience cats love things like mice, frogs etc to play with, many will pick them up and bring them inside as a 'present' for their owners...could your cats have brought it in? :confused:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Cheap mouse trap and a nut. Proper Job.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I had mice in a flat I was staying in (ground floor) as I understand it Environmental Health will only come for Rats not mice.

Id heard chocolate or peanutbutter was good so I used both, a piece of chocolate with peanutbutter smeared on it, and a killing trap.

Why bother with a humaine trap theyl only go to someone elses house, or not survive outside, its not as if their an endangered species and it gave me a sence of satisfaction to see them caught in the morning.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    rachie004 wrote:
    that you'd killed something?

It's only a mouse, it's fucking vermin.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    Hmmm... as a owner of mice and a mice lover i wouldn't advice killing them but thats because they're nice,

and.. Mice are actually genurally clean animals, males always smell like shit but thats because they spray alot. I've noticed that my mice always poo in one place and only one place :)

anyway wild mice are different i suppose.

yes they carry disease and stuff.

or is that rats?
  • Options
    well technically the mice are just acting how they should, they don't purposly go into people houses to cause trouble
    i couldn't come down in the morning and look at a decapitated mouse in a trap - which i'd have to clean up :yuck:
    i'd just get a non killing trap and let it out somewhere safe
  • Options
    Im absolutely terrified of the things and I always keep my flat spotless and empty out my rubbish daily. I find that as long as u keep ur pad clean, they usually keep away. Im always hoovering and cleaning the skirtboards and stuff. Shake and Vac is good to keep my flat smelling fresh.

A couple of my neighbours have seen them and the people came and put down poison, but I haven't seen anything since it was reported.