Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cameron - what a silly boy

Personally, I've always thought the new "consensual" approach by David Cameron was nonsense. We have now probably one of the worst governments ever to exist. So, what does Dave Cameron do? Why, he only praises the leadership of Tony Blair!

According to the BBC, "Tory leader David Cameron is expected to praise the prime minister in a speech where he will set out his vision for modern Conservatism. In an address to the left-wing think-tank, Demos, he will say Tony Blair had a "profound" understanding of what people wanted in the 1990s. He will say the Tories must now focus on succeeding where Labour had failed to follow through on its promises. He will also blame Chancellor Gordon Brown for increasing bureaucracy."
Click here to see what the fake Tory said.

Really, you couldn't make this up. But what's to praise about Tony Blair's leadership? This is the man who took Britain to war on the basis of lies. This man has contempt for our national institutions - the legal system, the Houses of Parliament, the democratic rule of law, the national media - nothing must be allowed to get in the way of the Blair Project. Tony Blair is a man who deserves nothing but contempt, and David Cameron, for praising him so highly, deserves to be mocked for saying such stupid things.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not a fan of Labour, but Cameron's absolutely right in that his leadership has been exceptional. He took Labour (and admittedly building on Kinnock and Smith) and made it electable. He siezed people who use to vote for Thatcher and one of the ways he did it was to tell them they were right to do so and that he'd follow the good things the Tories had done.

you don't win elections by telling your potential voters they were idiots for voting for Blair. You win elections by saying we're going to continue all the good things the Government has done (only better) and without the bad.

Plus Blair is about to go - he's no longer the person Cameron will be facing at the general election. So he concentrates on Brown - saying that he's an obstacle to progress.

PS - How old are you? It sounds like your sixty when you refer to a man in his thirties as a silly boy.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Plus Blair is about to go - he's no longer the person Cameron will be facing at the general election. So he concentrates on Brown - saying that he's an obstacle to progress.
    You win elections by repeatedly knocking the government, by showing that their record is absolutely rubbish. I've seen pigeons with a better grasp of government than the current lot. As for Blair going, when? Why doesn't he just clear off and let Brown take over? Personal vanity, as usual.
    NQA wrote:
    PS - How old are you? It sounds like your sixty when you refer to a man in his thirties as a silly boy.
    It's just a thread name, it was one of the more complementary ones I could think of. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You win elections by repeatedly knocking the government, by showing that their record is absolutely rubbish. I've seen pigeons with a better grasp of government than the current lot. As for Blair going, when? Why doesn't he just clear off and let Brown take over? Personal vanity, as usual.

No you don't. That just makes you look petulant. Like it or not the Labour Govt remains popular (look at its majority). If you just criticise it makes the Tories look like they've not learned a thing from being in opposition and are still clinging to ideas which got them voted out in the first place.

Cameron's saying 'We've learnt from our mistakes, we recognise that people want public services, they support the NHS etc. Blair's done alright in providing this, but look he's baout to go and it'll be Brown. Brown won't follow Blair. We will and we'll do it more effectively so vote for us'

According to the opinion polls this seems to have been more successful than screaming about what a disaster Blair has been (when for many people that's not true).
  • Options
    have just watched his speech and am muchly impressed.
    the tories at las have someone who is talking sense.
    very clever boy ...the best the tories have had in a long time.
    sorry SG but i think you have totaly missed the point.
  • Options
    have just watched his speech and am muchly impressed.
    the tories at las have someone who is talking sense.
    very clever boy ...the best the tories have had in a long time.
    sorry SG but i think you have totaly missed the point.
    What I say is, I find the prospect of the Leader of the Opposition praising the Prime Minister, the very man whose job he covets, a little bizarre. I don't mind the Tories suggesting alternative ideas - that's a very good thing - but this strategy of not criticising the government is ridicilous.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What I say is, I find the prospect of the Leader of the Opposition praising the Prime Minister, the very man whose job he covets, a little bizarre. I don't mind the Tories suggesting alternative ideas - that's a very good thing - but this strategy of not criticising the government is ridicilous.
    did you actualy watch the speech?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

But that's not the strategy - the strategy is to show the Tories will not dismantle the good Labour reforms under Blair, but that Brown is untrustworthy and will block reforms of public services.

The Tories are also recognising that people voted for Thatcher in the 80s because people did think unions were too strong, they were taxed too much, the economy was doing poorly and they wanted a leader who could sort it out.

Thatcher did so. Blairs skill was recognising that people didn't want to go back to the seventies, so he painted himself as the heir to Thatcher, but an heir who would look after public services - which is what people were worried about.

In turn Cameron is not going to be elected by saying that the Tories will go back to Thatcherite economics, because attempts to do so have been rebuffed by the electorate in 1997, 2001 and 2005.

In the end the only aim for political parties is to get votes and get into power. its alright for the Tories to remain ideollogically pure as you and Tebbit seem to demand - unfortunately that means that Labour will be in perpetual power.

Politics is the art of the possible.
  • Options
    calling and even showing tony blair to be a good tory isn't critisism?

this guy is the best thing the tories have seen in a long time.
  • Options
    I must say this resembles more and more the Labour party of the 1990s. Some had even said this speech could be the Tories Clause 4 moment- a reference to the time when Labour became New Labour and Clause 4 was removed from the manifesto, enraging the Labour old guard.

As it happens the Tories' old guard, through the mouth the odiuos Norman Tebbit, will tomorrow lash out at Cameron and compare him with Pol Pot, for daring to ditch Thatcherite principles.

Just what the electorate at large wanted to happen, I suspect...
  • Options
    That would be an interesting comparison considering the Thatcherite gov was arming and supporting Pol Pot and his Kmir Rouge movement through back channels throughout their entire tenure.
  • Options
    I think its rather clever, the wheels are begining to come off the whole New Labour project so if he paints himself as like Tony only better people may well vote for him.

And of course the more the hardline right of the Tories complain the better because it then looks like the Tories have changed.
  • Options
    It also gives him the initative in areas. It shows him as being a "compassionate conservative" who cares only for the good of this country and its people, beyond party affilations and rivalry.

Or something.

Either way, I dont exactly believe it, but it certainly means they dont look like a bunch of knee-jerk reactionaries all the time.
  • Options
    SG you are the silly boy here, I think.