Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student debt - how do you cope?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Over the last week, I've been thinking a lot about money, for several reasons. It's well-established that students get into quite a lot of debt. I know some of the people here are, reading their LJs and their threads. So, it's quite a worry on my mind. However, it doesn't help when I read this story last week;

According to the Daily Mail...
"A trainee doctor said today she warned Tony Blair that student debt would one day lead someone to kill themselves - and now it has. Julia Prague, 21, spoke after the suicide of a politics graduate [Lisa Taylor] who believed she would never be able to repay her debts of £14,000."

Isn't it awful that someone should kill themselves because of the dreadful strain their finances go under at university? And I think this story makes it even worse. From talking to some student friends, I get the distinct impression they really aren't bothered by their debts. And to make it even worse, those people that do work during term time are likely to get lower grades, says this.

Right, what I'm asking is; does student debt actually worry you, or do you simply not care?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    doesn't worry me in the slightest.

£14,000 wouldn't take that long to pay off once you're earning £23k plus a year or whatever.

there's no point in worrying about it anyway. what are the other options to finance yourself through uni? plus most people are in the same boat.
  • Options
    Student loan debt isnt really anything to worry all that much about, it comes off your paycheque when you are working and you dont notice it.

Credit cards and other debts are something to be careful about, and not something you want long term.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Student loan debt isnt really anything to worry all that much about, it comes off your paycheque when you are working and you dont notice it.

Credit cards and other debts are something to be careful about, and not something you want long term.

Quite true.

However, I think it is a bit more scary than it used to be though. I came out of Uni in 95 with about 3K in student loans. Its commonplace now for students to leave with anything from 10-30K in debts.

Student loans only accrue interest at inflation rate, but it is still a debt at the end of the day. The serious problems with credit are with cards or these high interest loans.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    I used to worry but I've found that what you pay back to the Student Loans Company is quite minimal and I don't even notice it. It's a different story if you owe the banks money, though.

This is what Tony Blair said last April about Labour's plans for student loans repayments:

"No one, unlike now, will have to pay towards the cost of their degree until they have graduated and got a job. We give you a real-terms interest-free loan to cover the costs and peg repayments to how much you earn. We are going to raise the earnings threshold when you start repaying the loan from £10,000 to £15,000. This will help you and other existing graduates as well as new students. It means repayments for someone earning £18,000 will be around £5 a week.

"And if your earnings drop below £15,000 because you want to travel, or if you lose your job or want to take time off to have children, as many of you will do, your repayments stop. And because the loan is interest-free, it doesn't keep increasing. "
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I'll have about 15 grand to pay back but I go to a good uni, do a very useful degree in this day and age and thus I'm not worried in the slightest. Especially if my kick-ass dissertation is anything to go by.
  • Options
    As long as I come out of it with a decent degree, I don't mind the debt. It's the best time of your life anyway, debts can be paid off later at a fairly low monthly amount anyway.
  • Options
    I don't worry about my student loan debt. I got a degree out of it and now I've got a fantastic job. As others have said it comes out of your wages so you don't miss it. Plus everyone knows about the debt situation you can get yourself into whilst being a student, if you can't handle it don't go to uni.
  • Options
    Doesn't worry me, may have as much as 15,000 by the time I graduate, but that's not so bad.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    im not overly worried, ill owe £20,000 at least by the time i graduate, however i do worry that i wont be able to get a job and pay it back. but i know i will pay back every penny, the sooner the better in my eyes!
  • Options
    Kimono wrote:
    It means repayments for someone earning £18,000 will be around £5 a week.

And because the loan is interest-free...
    The loan is not interest-free (the current ones aren't at least). The person paying £5 a week will not be covering the weekly interest on the loan if they owe what I do...
  • Options
    The interest is very low, it only account for inflation, not a profit for the SLC.
  • Options
    I couldn't earn enough money whilst studying full time and couldn't pay my rent on student loan money. Left uni and am now not so friggin skint! Might finish my degree part time, might not, but either way I'd rather take an extra year or so doing it than end up £15 in debt!!! It depends on your circumstances though I guess and I see how it's not so much of a big deal when you're young and don't have any dependants (not that I'm old!). I shouldn't worry too much about it SG. If you can't work your butt off over the summer to pay back abit of debt or save up for the next term, you can always take a term out or whatever, do your degree the way it suits you.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Randomgirl wrote:
    The loan is not interest-free (the current ones aren't at least). The person paying £5 a week will not be covering the weekly interest on the loan if they owe what I do...

The point Blair was making was that this is what Labour plan
  • Options
    i will owe about 17000 but it doesn't worry me at all.
    for a degree and the 4 best years of my life (one in france) i think its so worth it.
  • Options
    Yeah... But my course is going up to £3000 next year, I'm lucky I started this year. I wouldn't have otherwise because of the rising costs (I can't even imagine how much it will be if I go on to do a masters, I doubt I'll be able to afford it).

Education should be free or at least cheaper for all. The government should look at what jobs we are short of in the UK and offer courses related to those jobs as much cheaper, or maybe even free.
  • Options
    Yeah... But my course is going up to £3000 next year, I'm lucky I started this year. I wouldn't have otherwise because of the rising costs (I can't even imagine how much it will be if I go on to do a masters, I doubt I'll be able to afford it).

Education should be free or at least cheaper for all. The government should look at what jobs we are short of in the UK and offer courses related to those jobs as much cheaper, or maybe even free.

without wanting to get into a debate, don't you think that providing university education free for all that people would just go to avoid working? and then surely the more people who have degrees the less value you could say our degrees now have.
  • Options
    without wanting to get into a debate, don't you think that providing university education free for all that people would just go to avoid working? and then surely the more people who have degrees the less value you could say our degrees now have.

Not really, that's just one extreme. As long as the entry requirements are set properly, not everyone will go to uni. And people have to graduate eventually so they wouldn't be not working for longer than 3yrs or so. Although more people having degrees might decrease their value, what would you prefer: a country filled with educated people who have to compete for jobs, or a country with less educated people? If don't think it can hurt to raise the level of our nation, not in the long run.
  • Options
    Not really, that's just one extreme. As long as the entry requirements are set properly, not everyone will go to uni. And people have to graduate eventually so they wouldn't be not working for longer than 3yrs or so. Although more people having degrees might decrease their value, what would you prefer: a country filled with educated people who have to compete for jobs, or a country with less educated people? If don't think it can hurt to raise the level of our nation, not in the long run.

i know what you mean but just because you don't go to uni doesn't mean you're 'less educated'. there are other ways of getting qualifications.
  • Options
    luckily for me my local government (isle of man) pays all my fees for me. so all i/parents have to pay for is my living expenses and accommodation.
    fortunately for me, my dad is pretty 'stocked' when it comes to money - so i dont need to get a loan or anything

government is stopping this whole fee paying thing though in 2 years or so - which means that when my sister goes to uni she'll need loan
  • Options
    i know what you mean but just because you don't go to uni doesn't mean you're 'less educated'. there are other ways of getting qualifications.

I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone who doesn't get a degree is stupid. I just meant that everyone who has the potential to do well in a university environment should be able to do it. I suppose you could say the other side is true: every kid who wants to be a bricklayer or a plumber should also have the chance to realise their potential.
  • Options
    You cannot go to jail for debt :wave:
  • Options
    I guess im lucky, i dont have any student loans or debts. Partly becauese i saved some money from working summers. also, thank god for scholarships!!!
  • Options
    I guess im lucky, i dont have any student loans or debts. Partly becauese i saved some money from working summers. also, thank god for scholarships!!!

i assume things are different in the usa. ;)
  • Options
    I'm going to owe about £18,000, but for an MA at one of the top University's for my course, its worth it. Loan covers all the Uni and rent costs and I work over the summer for living expenses, such as books, beer and music.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    living expenses, such as books, beer and music.

haha is that what your essentials are? ;)

mine would be food, clothes/handbags, cds and drink.
  • Options
    i work over the summer too on a good wage but i never manage to save any of it :( i also have to pay rent for my house at uni over the summer (12month contract).
  • Options
    Being in debt, to me, is huge. Which is why I've chosen to get a degree from my local college in the same amount of time I would if I was going to Uni to do it. Only, there'll never be thousands of pounds worth of debt against my name.

I don't think students worry ENOUGH about the debt they're getting themselves into.. a lot of people I know believe they'll leave uni and enter a job earning 100k a year, and think they'll pay it off in no time - and I just laugh because it's really not like that.

Ilora x
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have a huge amount of debt from university. However, it isn't something I am too worried about. Once I start earning 10k (should be next academic year, fingers crossed) then I shall start paying it back. I haven't got any credit cards etc so it is just my overdraft and student loan.

I simply had no choice but to do into debt. Because of where I grew up, my nearest university was 200 miles away and simply couldn't commute. And if I didn't go to uni then I would be forced to stay at home and work at the local co-op :yeees: It simply wasn't going to happen. And my parents couldn't have afforded to pay for me to go to uni. This is something that I am fairly proud of - for the majority of it, I did it myself. With no help from my parents. It was only towards the end I got into a bit of trouble, but generally it was all me. And I feel that is quite an achievement.

As much as I hated uni, I wouldn't have done it differently. I am about to qualify as something I always wanted and I couldn't have done that without going to uni. Debt is just one of those things.

Remember, your student loan is a cheap loan to have. I would prefer to have 20k in debt through my student loan than owe the bank 20k. It's just an annoying debt but that's the way it goes.
  • Options
    Seems to be a fairly clear message coming from this thread. I spoke earlier on to a woman who'd spent three years doing a degree in Accounting. She says that debt is one of those things I would have to accept and not worry too much about. "University was the best experience of my life, but the way you're thinking about this, you're going to destroy yourself worrying about money". She's probably right.