Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Career/studying

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Oky doky.

About a month ago, I got a new job (used to be a programmer :yuck: ), now I'm an analyst for a bunch of lawyers (which I like, a lot). Superb.
Due to being rather apt at lazing around, my degree (computer science) was only just passed and isn't an honours one. I can to the whole "has potential" thing, but I'm too much of a lazy cunt to do anything about it (and computing theory can be rather naff).

This job move is the start of my long term plan to move closer to the business side of things (and away from techie IT).

Does anyone think that it would be significantly beneficial to my career to study something appropriate (such as business/econ/owt else) at the Open University? I'm having a leaf through their prospectus, and it looks interesting, and not overly expensive...but I'm just not sure of how many tangible benefits (aside from not being bored of an evening) I can obtain.

The point of the thread is at the start of the fourth paragraph, the rest is background bollocks :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bad seed wrote:
    I'm just not sure of how many tangible benefits (aside from not being bored of an evening) I can obtain.

Erm, new skills/knowledge and a shiny new qualification? The OU's actually pretty well respected.

Go for it, boy!
    I've applied for a few comp science courses to start later this year, are they any good/worth it. and also how did you find it, learn much? boring? interesting?
    OU is the way forward, they're really good.
    Meryn wrote:
    Erm, new skills/knowledge and a shiny new qualification? The OU's actually pretty well respected.

Go for it, boy!
    The OU is always an impressive addition to anyone's CV, employers really like it because it shows you can multi task and work hard, also that you want to better yourself. Go for it :)
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    OU is the way forward, they're really good.

Now just to think about what I want to study!
    icey wrote:
    I've applied for a few comp science courses to start later this year, are they any good/worth it. and also how did you find it, learn much? boring? interesting?

Quite mathematical (as you'd expect), but it's applied maths, so hidden quite well at times. I shall PM you :)