Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

elen year old and heroin!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm sure you have seen the story by now.
How are we going to deal with this kind of situation?
carry on forever washing our hands of all responsibility by ...letting the criminals run the show?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its sad, but if thats what the kids been brought up with to think is normal, then thats what theyre gonna do themselves.
    Is there a link for the story, so i can read it in full please...
    Thanks Panthro!

Fucked up story! Seriously not good! Shows how bad the drugs problem is getting though!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Not supprising... see... children do this sortof thing - tell them not to do something and they will if they think they can get away with it.

I don't know how to tackle it - better education? Makes parents be more responsible? Dunno... shocking though, but I have heard of children about 8 round here smoking - and not just ciggies...
    It's really shocking although my eyes have been opened since I started teaching practice. My college is based in Glasgow and so most of us had our upper primary placement either in or around Glasgow. Some of the kids I met had really awful lifes and the majority were due to drugs in the family. One of my friends was in a school where an 11yr old got expelled for having heroin in her school bag. It's pretty scary and sad.
    Perhaps if heroin was on prescription we could largely do away with black market dealers and remove supply to kids.
    i'm sure you have seen the story by now.
    How are we going to deal with this kind of situation?
    carry on forever washing our hands of all responsibility by ...letting the criminals run the show?

I have seen worst in free parties and I even seen cops in fron of free parties, looking at children from 5 to 7 yo high on drugs on dirty like hell and they didn't do shit... Not sure they can do much, but could sure call someone who could...

That story doesn't surprise me...

There is already kids who did die from E and other crap like that...

The world is a jungle and there is no morals anymore...
    I seriously dont think you saw children between 5 and 7 high on drugs, they shouldn't even get a chance to see drugs never mind take them
    from what i hear about some squat parties, it doesnt sound that surprising.
    Yes but im sure the parents of 5 year olds wouldnt let their children out of sight, especially to join parties and take drugs

Well the parents were in there too obviously...

Free parties kids...

I used to buy mushrooms from a 9 yo old kid in a squat cafe I used to go play...

You see pregnant women as well and they are still high, when the baby is not
    even born they don't give a damn, why would they once it's there...
    your-babe wrote:
    Morally speaking, they shouldn't have the oportunity to see drugs let alone consume them, but as someone else mentioned in this thread, the world has no morals anymore.

No morals at all? No one on the whole planet has any morals, thats a bit harsh isnt it?

Society is supposed to be on a downward slope, but then its supposed to have been on a downward slope for ever, ever since we started walking upright people have complained that things arent what they used to be.
    I think firstly a drugs advocate would point out that the market for drugs is demand led. I dont know if 'drug pushers' actually force people to take drugs, rather the kids approach the dealers to buy the drugs. However, I think the morality of some 'dealers' (when in fact most dealers are just friends giving their friends drugs for cash) is suspect and so they have no qualms giving young people drugs.

I think nobody under 18 should have access to drugs. So I agree with bong that it should be legislated. However, legislating drugs politically sends a message that 'drugs are ok' when in my opinion they are damaging to society and health, and that users do not incorporate these damages when they take them. Same with alcohol and cigarrettes too. We're in a society that glamourises drunken behaviour, that previously made smoking sexy. There is evidence though if you tax them too much people will just get them from abroad illegally and sell them on the black market!
    I think nobody under 18 should have access to drugs. So I agree with bong that it should be legislated. However, legislating drugs politically sends a message that 'drugs are ok' when in my opinion they are damaging to society and health, and that users do not incorporate these damages when they take them. Same with alcohol and cigarrettes too. We're in a society that glamourises drunken behaviour, that previously made smoking sexy. There is evidence though if you tax them too much people will just get them from abroad illegally and sell them on the black market!

Is the message being sent out that methadone use is 'ok' and the government are happy for people to do it?

Heroin is a medicine and should be treated as such. Prescribing it would not send out the message that it is ok to use, same as prescribing methadone doesnt. It would send out the message that addicts have a health problem which needs treatment.
    your-babe wrote:
    Ok, we may have some morals, but they have certainly decreased. This story of the child taking illegal drugs is a small piece of evidence of this.

'cos of course the world was peachy creamy 100 years ago wasn't it?
    your-babe wrote:
    Ok, we may have some morals, but they have certainly decreased. This story of the child taking illegal drugs is a small piece of evidence of this.

When was the golden age? When did our morals peak?
    bongbudda wrote:
    Perhaps if heroin was on prescription we could largely do away with black market dealers and remove supply to kids.

You'd probably still get people (corrupt suppliers, thieves from hospitals) getting hold of the prescription stuff and supplying it. Not sure where you'd start really, but destroying all the supplies in the middle/far east would be a start, but the scale of such an operation would be huge, and difficult.
    bongbudda wrote:
    When was the golden age? When did our morals peak?
    We never got it right... we've just moved along abit.
    manickev wrote:
    You'd probably still get people (corrupt suppliers, thieves from hospitals) getting hold of the prescription stuff and supplying it. Not sure where you'd start really, but destroying all the supplies in the middle/far east would be a start, but the scale of such an operation would be huge, and difficult.

So we should cover large chunks of the world in agent orange just because we have a drug problem, isnt that a bit unfair?

Getting rid of the heroin problem by removing opium is totally and completely impossible. We dont have the troop numbers even if we deployed every single one of them on the mission.
    manickev wrote:

If we destroy the world's heroin supply, what do hospitals use for pain relief?
    Blagsta wrote:
    If we destroy the world's heroin supply, what do hospitals use for pain relief?
    Morphene or Demerol...
    subject13 wrote:
    Morphene or Demerol...

Most hospitals use diacetylmorphine (heroin).
    subject13 wrote:
    Morphene or Demerol...
    morphine comes from opium too, its addictive too, but unfortunatley its not quite as good as diamorphine for pain relief especially in terminal illnesses.
    And of course even if you managed to remove all the opium black market suppliers would just swap to making fentanyl or similar instead. If the market is still there it is going to be filled.
    manickev wrote:
    so you believe it's ok to invade other nations for growing crops that they have grown for thousands of years with few problems?
    morphine comes from the opium poppy you twonk.
    being illegal means nothing more than society washing its hands of any responsibility ...handing over control to criminals and terrorists.
    it's time we took responsibilty ...took control back from the villains.
    pinkstar wrote:
    It's really shocking although my eyes have been opened since I started teaching practice. My college is based in Glasgow and so most of us had our upper primary placement either in or around Glasgow. Some of the kids I met had really awful lifes and the majority were due to drugs in the family. One of my friends was in a school where an 11yr old got expelled for having heroin in her school bag. It's pretty scary and sad.

The problem is poverty.