Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A Confederacy of Dunces

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
One of the funniest books ever written. So good that it deserves it's own thread. Like this one.

Go, buy, read & learn to love again.

John Kennedy Toole was a comic genius, which makes his suicide while languishing in obscurity all the more bitter.

Spread the good word people.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its slightly strange that you put this up now, I'm about 50 pages into it and although it has a strange start I'm really liking it.
  • Options
    I'm interested tell me more about this book.....
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its slightly strange that you put this up now, I'm about 50 pages into it and although it has a strange start I'm really liking it.

The start really hooked me. It does go into some very strange places but Toole was such a good writer, it works.
  • Options
    I'm interested tell me more about this book.....

It's a strange one to describe. In essence, it's about a man getting a job in New Orleans. But who the man is, how he acts and how other people respond to him makes it a comic masterpiece.

And it won a Pulitzer.

John Kennedy Toole wrote only one other book, The Neon Bible, which is completely different but pretty good on it's owm merits. Dunces is in a league of it's own though.
  • Options
    The best way to describe it is a series of gross tableau’s where the main characters unique outlook and ennui are given free reign.