Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

essay on the safety of E

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My housemate is studying physiology, and she has been set an essay on something like "the safety of taking ecstasy" (and no, I'm not making it up :) ). First off, I wish I got essays like that on my course! My most recent one was on defenses against fungal infection :rolleyes:

So anyway, does anyone know of any well-known studies that have been done into the effects of E? I mean proper peer-reviewed stuff, not surveys done by mixmag or whatever. I have heard of some, but if there are any that you lot could think of (or even provide links for) I'm sure she'll be quite happy...thanks!

By the way, I'm hoping I can be a lab rat so she can experiment on me ;)

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Try having a look on Erowid in their MDMA vault. Also, the National Treatment Agency, Drugscope, the British Medical Journal and some links on the London Drug and Alcohol Network may be useful. It wouldn't hurt to do a search on Google Scholar either...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I posted some interesting research a while ago, if you use the search function I'm sure it will pop up.
    The National Addiction Centre may be useful for background information, and MAPS have a page on MDMA research as well. That should be enough to keep you busy!
    bongbudda wrote:
    I posted some interesting research a while ago, if you use the search function I'm sure it will pop up.

I just did that, and couldn't find it...
    Thanks LadyJade and BongBudda. LadyJade, I think you're probably better at the search facility than me! But I'll try looking through BongBudda's posts to see if I can find that thread. Thanks again :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Hoorah, well done to you.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Hoorah, well done to you.

And I dont get paid for it either.

I've got a few other ones which are interesting, if I email them to you LadyJade will you stick them up?
    That depends on how nice you are. And moderating isn't part of my job description, so technically I don't get paid for it either...
    LadyJade wrote:
    That depends on how nice you are.

I'm always nice to you M'Lady (dips hat).
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm always nice to you M'Lady (dips hat).

You're always a creep. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    You're always a creep. ;)

Nothing wrong in being nice to such a lovely creature as LadyJade.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Nothing wrong in being nice to such a lovely creature as LadyJade.

Such a suck up.
    Weekender Offender 
    True though. Watch yourself Skivey.
    LadyJade wrote:
    True though. Watch yourself Skivey.

He was being rude about you miss.
    Our Skive better watch his post count, av and sig amongst other things then, who knows what might happen...
    Is E dangerous? I've seen pills fuck people up... Although am curious in trying it once.
    bongbudda wrote:
    He was being rude about you miss.

Yes miss, no miss, three bags full miss. :yeees:
    When you were a nipper a bet you were oen of those kids who brought in an apple everyday for his teacher.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Is E dangerous? I've seen pills fuck people up

There's always a risk, but if your sensible then it doesn't carry more risk than some sports or physical activities.
    Weekender Offender 
    Is E dangerous? I've seen pills fuck people up... Although am curious in trying it once.

"fuck up" how? Like lying on a sofa trying to chew your eyebrow off "fucked up" or being ill "fucked up" Ecstacy is probably one of the safest drugs out there, very few people die a year because of it. It does wreck your head though after constant use.

It's relatively safe if you follow the "rules" (stay within a reasonable level of fluid consumption, take long chill-out periods if you're dancing etc)

I've never known anyone who's just taken it once though. Most people go through a period of doing it regularly (the 'honeymoon period') before it becomes a bit boring and use tails off.

One thing which is certainly worth noting is the possibility of depression if you're doing it regularly.
    Spliffie wrote:
    It's relatively safe

I apologise for sounding like a broken record, but it isn't safe, relatively or not.
    LadyJade wrote:
    I apologise for sounding like a broken record, but it isn't safe, relatively or not.

No, it actually is relatively safe. There's no such thing as safe drug use but there is a such thing as relatively safe and dangerous drug use.
    LadyJade wrote:

It would it's relatively safe in comparrison to Sky Diving or Rock Climbing.
    Weekender Offender 
    LadyJade wrote:

If you take a reasonable dose, drink the right amount and take it nice & easy then yes, although there is increased physical pressure on the body and possible lasting effects on brain chemistry, occasional sensible use by a young, healthy person usually isn't such a problem compared to coke, meth etc. It isn't as bad as the portrayal by much of the press suggests, that's for sure.

The depressive potential is a serious concern imho. As is often said, people who do E are effective guinea-pigs.

I'd recommend somebody considering doing it does proper objective research on the drug and make an informed choice, as with anything.
    Test.